Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I attached/install fan shroud covers?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: How do I attached/install fan shroud covers? Reply with quote

I'm not sure if that's the correct name for these parts but I'm want to install them correctly and seeing that when I took them off they were slathered in RTV, I don't know what correct looks like.

This page shows the gaskets to the parts I need to install.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Heating.html
Its the covers on the right.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are they installed after the heat exchangers are installed or before?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: How do I attached/install fan shroud covers? Reply with quote

They are installed after the heat exchangers are installed. You can use gaskets, but silicone will do a better job of filling the oddly shaped void preventing air loss and will tend to also keep the parts from moving relative to each other quieting the joint up and preventing wear. Since you painted everything black just use black silicone and move on. For the same reasons, I use silicone between the heat exchangers themselves and the fan shroud.

I apply the silicone and let the bead tack a bit before installing the parts, done right this makes disassembly a bit easier. You want some adhesion though so it is desirable if some of the uncured silicone squishes out of the bead and locks the parts together.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: How do I attached/install fan shroud covers? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
They are installed after the heat exchangers are installed. You can use gaskets, but silicone will do a better job of filling the oddly shaped void preventing air loss and will tend to also keep the parts from moving relative to each other quieting the joint up and preventing wear. Since you painted everything black just use black silicone and move on. For the same reasons, I use silicone between the heat exchangers themselves and the fan shroud.

I apply the silicone and let the bead tack a bit before installing the parts, done right this makes disassembly a bit easier. You want some adhesion though so it is desirable if some of the uncured silicone squishes out of the bead and locks the parts together.

Any particular type of silicone? Just pick some up from home depot?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: How do I attached/install fan shroud covers? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Any particular type of silicone? Just pick some up from home depot?

Just get Ultra Black from your FLAPS or WalMart.
Our79Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: How do I attached/install fan shroud covers? Reply with quote

I agree with wildthing...and of course if you don't read rat well...then you should Smile

I tried to make one out of cork, using ratwells dimensions and the scraps of the orIginal i removed on disassembly...but my cork was to thick......
so then I thought I would just build one out of rtv and shave it down flat with a razor....not so good either...too hard to shave and get a good flat sealing surface all around...

then, I rtv,d both manifolds to the fan shroud...before checking if I had exhaust leaks at the f pipe manifold exhaust flanges...I had to take that back off and grind flat my exhaust flanges and dry fit as briefly discussed in this thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...our79westy

good luck, lots of patience is needed for these critical airflow components, i.e. the f pipes, covers, muffler et al.

don't forget your f pipe supports...both sides...here's a pic of my engine just dropped and waiting refresh with no driver side exhaust manifold support. I always wondered what those empty threaded holes were for.

see where the cover goes at the junction of the exhaust manifold and fan shroud?

I had a tough time making sure the little non return flaps that those covers cover fit and worked smothly...while i feel mine are as good as i can get, i dont have a warm fuzzy on how easily they function after installing the covers...note2self...

here you can see the alternator support for the passenger side exhaust manifold. there is also supposed to be a support on the driver side...you can also see the non return flap with the cover removed, and my big red air duct coming straight from the output of the blower motor.

btw, the gasket provides critical clearance from the cover to allow the non return flap to move without resistance, these non return flaps prevent the heater blower motor from back feeding (returning) through the fan shroud at low engine rpm which decreases both engine cooling air and the amount of hot air received in the cabin as discussed in rat wells fine article you quoted.

someone has to have additinal tips, stories or threads on these non return flaps...

Beautiful paint job on your parts! i can only imagine how immaculate your engine Smile please grace us with more pics.

See the most up to date status of Constance on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCvO1ZedS22IepvvRYaTxiPQ

My 1979 Westfalia Campmobile's sundry Tales of Constance
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620965

1990 Vanagon, Red, Driven 70,000 miles till sold.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: How do I attached/install fan shroud covers? Reply with quote

Its not paint its powder coating:D if it was paint it would have turned out horrible because I suck at prepping and I'm impatient. I love powder coating because if I get a scratch I can touch it up with a heat gun and it would be hard to tell where the scratch is.

Thanks for the tips!
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I attached/install fan shroud covers? Reply with quote

You screw them from underneath, using the same screws as the rest of your tins. I used cork coated in high temp RTV like that red stuff above. Works awesome.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: