Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DWiseman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

My dad's 73rd birthday is coming up and he always talks about the Karmann Ghia he had when he lived in Germany in the 60's-early 70's. It seems like getting rid of that was one of his biggest regrets so I thought it would be awesome to try and find one that he could take a ride in.

He lives in Southwestern Connecticut, so my question is if anyone on this forum lives within driving distance of there and might be interested in either renting their Ghia out for the day or just taking him for a spin around town in one. I know it's a long shot, but I think it would mean the world to him. My siblings and I would be happy to compensate you for your time, so let me know if this could work out!

Sincerely,

Damian
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

Awesome idea!! I hope it works out.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
DWiseman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

Thanks c21! I do too - I don't think I'd know what a Ghia was if he didn't talk about it. They seem like super cool funky cars that don't get the attention they deserve!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

DWiseman wrote:
Thanks c21! I do too - I don't think I'd know what a Ghia was if he didn't talk about it. They seem like super cool funky cars that don't get the attention they deserve!

Could you be a little more specific about your dad's location...a town name would help. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DWiseman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

Sure thing! He's in Weston, CT (Fairfield County)
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

Hi there! I might be able to help you out if we can find a day that I am free (October is pretty busy and right now we are packing to leave for the big car show in Hershey Pa next week). We have two Ghias; a '63 and a '56. While both are operable the '63 would be easier to get down to Weston. When is your dad's birthday? Here's what it looks like - I would prefer to drive your dad around if that's OK - no compensation necessary.....
Smile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DWiseman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

Just PM'd you - this Ghia community is amazing!!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

THAT vert is amazing!!
Id pay for a ride in it, double it to drive. Very Happy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
THAT vert is amazing!!
Id pay for a ride in it, double it to drive. :D

Agree. Every now and then I see a Ghia that just takes my breath away. Utter perfection in lines and contours, colour, style and setting.

Matched by its owner's generosity.
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

wow what a beauty!!! Why didn't I buy a vert myself???
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

Awww - you guys are kind! She's far from perfect but my favorite by far. We have scheduled this for October 27th so I will see if it's OK to post some pictures of Damian's dad and Lilcar. It will be a little bit belated as his actual birthday was today. And a surprise since he knows nothing about this! I am just praying the weather is decent - it seems like it's been raining non stop in CT all summer....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
And a surprise since he knows nothing about this! I am just praying the weather is decent - it seems like it's been raining non stop in CT all summer....

Karma will serve you well I'm sure Diane. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Karma will serve you well I'm sure Diane. Smile

Karma is working with me so far, John - My left striker plate cracked about 2 weeks ago so I placed a wanted ad in the classifieds for a decent one. Laszlo805 sold me one which I just installed today- Relieved to have a driver's side door that latches again! Now all we need are warm temps and sun. A carbon copy of today would work pretty well, actually! Smile
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

Well, the original date of Oct 27th wound up being the day a huge nor'easter blew into Connecticut so this was postponed until today which was temperate enough to do this top down. Turns out Damian actually lives in Chicago and was working with his Mom to pull this off. I pulled into their driveway early afternoon and Damian alerted his mom I was there - Probably the best part of the day was seeing Damian's dad Carter when he learned what I was there for. His smile was absolutely priceless - a full ear-to-ear grin! We toured the back roads of beautiful Weston and Westport, sun shining with a brisk wind raining myriads of autumn leaves down upon us- we couldn't have asked for a better day to do this... Carter regaled me with local history (who knew Benedict Arnold was really a good guy?) and we both had a great time on our ride which lasted about an hour. Afterwards I was invited into their home and was shown a photo album of Carter's time in service complete with a few pictures of his '68 Ghia- what a fun day!
Damian, you are a very thoughtful son for thinking this up and your parents really appreciated it! Smile

Carter getting into Lilcar

Thumbs up for Ghia rides!

Carter and his '68 Ghia Germany circa late 60's

ski trip to Hintertux Austria in Ghia June 1970

Plate issued to Ghia now on Carter's modern car

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

What a great heart-warming story Diane. I'm so pleased you all had a great day. Very Happy
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

I think it made all of us feel good - and I appreciate that you PM'd me on this because otherwise i would have missed it!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

Great story, great surprise.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

Cool story. Share the joy.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

Bravo on your generous efforts for another Ghia enthusiast, Diane!
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A Ghia JUST FOR A DAY For My Dad's Birthday- SW Connecticut. Reply with quote

Got a very nice message back from Carter today- so happy this worked out. I think if you're lucky enough to be a custodian of one of these incredible little cars it's important to spread the joy around! Thanks for everyone's kind comments!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: