Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

I though I would start a thread on what others think constitutes a vintage or nostalgia fiberglass Buggy and what is considered a modernized version. In my view there is no real right or wrong here, just a sharing of personal perspectives. My own ride is a bit of a mixture at this point.

Vintage:

Engine - air cooled engine - VW, Porsche, Corvair

Tail/signal lights - VW Beetle preferably, any pre to mid 70s lights.

Wheels - 5 wide or 4 x 120 VW steel rims, smoothies chrome or painted, Baby moons or VW hub caps, early aluminum wheels ( centerline, Empi, ET slots, Fuchs, etc.)

Roll bar - single braced or none at all

Dash - analog gauges preference given to Beetle speedo and switches

Tops - soft or hard top, open sides

Bumpers - none or small nurf or single bar style

Exhaust - dual cannon or early extractor

Modernized:

Engine - any water cooled swap

Lights - LEDs

Roll bar - complete roll cages

Wheels - all current designs especially anything larger than 15"

Dash - digital and LED

Tops - fully enclosed, soft or hard

Bumpers - large beafy fronts especially with a winch, full engine cages

Exhaust - bob tail, side winder or turbos

That is where the lines between the two are drawn in my mind. How do you see it? This post is not intended to be a debate, just a sharing of view points.

Last edited by oprn on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

Vintage:

Headlights - Large circular (like frog eyes)

Modernized:

Headlights - Tiny focus'd beams

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

vintage can definitely have a stinger exhaust

The big difference for me is the shape of the fiberglass, the side pods look modernized to me, and kits like the kickout SS, vs classic manx.

The crager SS style wheels are definitely vintage, nothing to do with size, all about period look for me.

In the end it's all about the overall look, not an individual piece. Very possible to have a vintage look with vintage digital gauges
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

It's a slow creep in many cases, change this, add that and at some point the Buggy crosses the line. The line is different for everybody and that is what I hope this discussion is about.

Right now when I drive ahead of our Buggy and look at it in the mirror it screams nostalgia but when I follow it I see a much more modern one. I think there are 4 things that do it. 1) LED tail lights, 2) full engine cage, 3) the non Manx lower body skirt profile, 4) ride height.

The front is down in the weeds too but the eye tends to forgive just one inconsistency?

Ya! I should have included ride height in my first post. On a vintage one you can see some scenery between the wheels!
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

Vintage = drum brakes or Ghia front discs.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

2 of my buggies have hard tops that came with them. So i would consider them a vintage look. For wheels, nothing screams vintage like wide smoothies, even torque thrusts give it a modern look to me. A stock steering wheel or Superior 500 looks vintage as does a simple speedo and factory gas gauge on the dash. Any taillight from pre 70s cars look vintage to me even if they are lit with LEDs

brad
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

When I think “vintage “ I think of the buggies my dad and I built in the early 1970s.

Anything that wasn’t part of the beetle wasn’t part of the buggy...
Or at least very, very little. Nothing fancy just the popular mechanics style kit build.

AMAC
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

That's my buggy mrgoodtunes posred.The lights are pretty good they are flood light style not spotlight style. There is a difference..I also have lights on the beam for added light.
As for vintage or modern that is your call. I like both looks.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

I think that what we consider vintage is very much informed by the first one we saw or rode in. And that in turn could depend heavily on what era we were born in.

I too have a soft spot for the Popular Mechanics Buggies as I saw them in that magazine even before I saw them on the street. I also really enjoy seeing a down and dirty hot rodded version. They look wicked fast just sitting there!

I started out with vintage in mind but the low nasty look is starting to sneak in there...
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

Mine is more of that "Low Mean" look I think, I tried to keep it as vintage as possible.
Things I feel lend to the Vintage look:
Supremes (which were actually a lowriders rim, that was popular in the mid 70's) or Cragars, bias ply tires w/whitewalls, tuck n roll or diamond pleat interior, heavy Metalflake gel coat or paint, drum brakes, LOTS of chrome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

Nice buggy, Hot Air. Seems we ideas along the same line. I wish mine could be lower but the big sump keeps me from lowering it.
I too appreciate ALL styles and and combinations. I really like new ideas whether in old or new style.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

Ken wrote:
Mine is more of that "Low Mean" look I think, I tried to keep it as vintage as possible.
Things I feel lend to the Vintage look:
Supremes (which were actually a lowriders rim, that was popular in the mid 70's) or Cragars, bias ply tires w/whitewalls, tuck n roll or diamond pleat interior, heavy Metalflake gel coat or paint, drum brakes, LOTS of chrome.

Ken . . . I POSITIVELY LOVE THIS . . .

More like a sixties, show car vibe for me . . . dig it! Cool
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

Old style buggy head lights are key for me, don't even want to change to the lens that holds a halogen.

Hard top with side curtains:

Going from this:

Back to this:

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

(I forgot to include my pic. It was late. Smile )

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

Vintage... As I took possession of it in 1995... Vintage?.. Have to think its pretty much as it was build in 1970 (registered as 1970 SPCN)...

After "personalisation"(sp?) build in 2001.. And as it is today...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

A couple of traditional touches come to mind. Early Mustang tail lights and Corvette gas filler doors. My first buggy had both, and the lack of any glass rework in those areas suggest they where part of the original build.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

this is my current driver that i rebulit. personally i think it has alot of vintage looks.

this is the new project. came wit a top, looks to be original to the buggy. no id on the buggy so i cant say a year. but this one will be a vintage style as well

i think it really depends on the builders eye and the viewers eye. there is no way that everyone sees the same thing about everything
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

Now there is one we all missed! The whip antenna, that's in so many of the vintage pictures.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

Yup! Required for running the dunes!

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/nostelgia vs modernized Reply with quote

Silver Lake, Michigan requires it front right corner. Can you guys run it on the back nowadays?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: