Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbtcabman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967 Reply with quote

did the factory ever attach the aluminum id plate in the wheel well with other than rivets?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967 Reply with quote

No.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967 Reply with quote

I am not aware of any id plate in the wheel well on any Bug. Photograph please!

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967 Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

X2.
TS (sbtcabman) asked me in a pm if it's possible that such id plate could be in the wheel well attached by Philips head screws.
My answer : never heard of it and in Euro bugs neither. Id plates are always rivited by the factory.
Besides, in the wheel well such a plate would soon be covered by mud and other debri.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967 Reply with quote

wimkever wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

X2.
TS (sbtcabman) asked me in a pm if it's possible that such id plate could be in the wheel well attached by Philips head screws.
My answer : never heard of it and in Euro bugs neither. Id plates are always rivited by the factory.
Besides, in the wheel well such a plate would soon be covered by mud and other debri.

I wonder if he means the spare tire well? if so, rivets are all I have seen there for the plate

Bug On

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967 Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
I wonder if he means the spare tire well? if so, rivets are all I have seen there for the plate

Bug On

Yup. Sounds like he's talking about the VIN plate riveted to the spare tire well inside the frunk.
sbtcabman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967 Reply with quote

YIKES! this getting old stuff is for the birds. spare tire well is indeed what I meant. maybe it's like when you call one kid by the other kid's name?

well, anywho, there is a car on samba that looks real nice but the id plate in the spare tire well is held on with philips head screws. it is across the pond and I wonder if that alone would make a stateside DMV inspector start drooling and howling. and then would not allow it to be registered. makes you wonder what in tarnation is the story behind that anomaly.

thanks to you folks who read my mind (obviously what little is left of it)

peace and vroom!

sbt cabriolet man
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967 Reply with quote

At the risk of inducing the ire of some folks, the law pertaining to VIN plates merely says they must be attached to the vehicle, but it doesn't specify how it must be attached. While originally riveted at the factory, it's quite possible the car may have had the nose sheet metal replaced due to damage and the person(s) performing the repair reattached the VIN with what they had on hand, in this case phillips screws.

Before jumping to conclusions as to how the DMV would react, maybe it'd be a good idea to ask them the question if this would raise eyebrows or not.
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967 Reply with quote

Does it match the VIN# on the pan??
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967 Reply with quote

sbtcabman wrote:
YIKES! this getting old stuff is for the birds. spare tire well is indeed what I meant. maybe it's like when you call one kid by the other kid's name?

well, anywho, there is a car on samba that looks real nice but the id plate in the spare tire well is held on with philips head screws. it is across the pond and I wonder if that alone would make a stateside DMV inspector start drooling and howling. and then would not allow it to be registered. makes you wonder what in tarnation is the story behind that anomaly.

thanks to you folks who read my mind (obviously what little is left of it)

peace and vroom!

sbt cabriolet man

In California, the VIN that matters is the one stamped on the chassis. that one, the one on the chassis must match that on the title. However, not all dmv personal nor police know of the location of the vin numbers on a 50 year old VW.

Check under the rear seat, on the top of the tunnel, next to the opening for accessing the rear shift linkage, there should be a chassis number stamped there, and that number is the one that is important for title purposes, at least in caifornia anyhow.

Bug On!

Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967 Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
In California, the VIN that matters is the one stamped on the chassis. that one, the one on the chassis is the one that is important for title purposes.

Unless you are able to cite a specific law that says that, you should just stop talking.

The OP may or may not be able to fool the government in the manner that you are suggesting, but he is probably not looking to get arrested for felony possession of a stolen vehicle, have the vehicle confiscated, go to prison as a convicted felon, and never be able to vote or own firearms again.

If the VIN plate has been tampered with, it's probably safest to just walk away.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967 Reply with quote

sbtcabman wrote:
well, anywho, there is a car on samba that looks real nice but the id plate in the spare tire well is held on with philips head screws. it is across the pond and I wonder if that alone would make a stateside DMV inspector start drooling and howling.

Yes, it might be an issue, if they know how it's supposed to be attached.

Beetles are rivets but some other models are attached with screws.

They are various reasons for replacement screws, it could be something innocent or could be something shady.

I would probably pass on something that has to come from overseas - that is a larger risk.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967 Reply with quote

Gurn Blanston wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
In California, the VIN that matters is the one stamped on the chassis. that one, the one on the chassis is the one that is important for title purposes.

Unless you are able to cite a specific law that says that, you should just stop talking.

The OP may or may not be able to fool the government in the manner that you are suggesting, but he is probably not looking to get arrested for felony possession of a stolen vehicle, have the vehicle confiscated, go to prison as a convicted felon, and never be able to vote or own firearms again.

If the VIN plate has been tampered with, it's probably safest to just walk away.

Could you please just stop hijacking threads with your VIN nonsence? I have, and others have, stated first hand experience registering cars in CA and other states WITH THE VIN ON THE PAN and nothing else. My car was inspected in two states by the DMV and theft recovery police. All they cared about was the VIN on the pan, and not a tiny plate that can be removed and reattached with two rivits and 10 minutes.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967 Reply with quote

Gurn Blanston wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

My own experience with the dmv has found this to be true. Nor am I advocating fooling anyone, There is no reason for you to be nasty either. by the way, I am not talking, I am writing.

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967 Reply with quote

I bet he doesn't even own a acvw. Starting to sound like a dmv employee. 100+ posts in the last week, TROLL.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: attachment of id plate in wheel well 1967 Reply with quote

I would have thought that as long as the vin plate and frame stamped numbers matched common sense would prevail...

my vin has been re-sited and is attached with pop rivets Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: