Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock IRS suspension is a good idea for a light sand rail?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Stock IRS suspension is a good idea for a light sand rail? Reply with quote

Hi;

Thinking to swap the swing axle type to IRS in my 1915cc light rail ...... Before complicating things I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of both worlds, I read in the web that swing axle type was stronger for sand and offroad !! .
Besides the CV´s maintenance, an stock IRS trailing arm is strong enough for a light rail in the sand??...Will it get damaged easily?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Best.

Last edited by francoangellini on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock IRS suspension is a good idea for a light sand rail? Reply with quote

check this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705654
don't make a habit of getting airborne even with reinforcement

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock IRS suspension is a good idea for a light sand rail? Reply with quote

OK.....EMPI IRS box kit is a good reinforcement for a stock arm?

https://www.mooreparts.com/vw-rear-irs-trailing-arm-box-in-kit-weld-on/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Stock IRS suspension is a good idea for a light sand rail? Reply with quote

It is a good starting point. You should add two small pieces to tie the upper and lower plates to the outboard end of the bearing carrier.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Stock IRS suspension is a good idea for a light sand rail? Reply with quote

Also, I should add this.

Bone stock for bone stock, swing axle is probably a little more durable. However, it is also much more limited. IRS has WAY more beef up potential. With a little work, it can be made much stronger than swing axle with the added bonus of better handling due to less camber change as the suspension cycles.

Cv joint maintenance? Unless you blow one up, what is there to maintain? Pack them well with a good Moly grease, and you will be good to go for ages.

francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock IRS suspension is a good idea for a light sand rail? Reply with quote

EMPI Irs box kit installed...

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock IRS suspension is a good idea for a light sand rail? Reply with quote

Why yes, yes it is installed. Laughing

Once those three plates are welded in, cut a couple pieces of 3/16 or 1/4 inch flat stock to go between the large flat top and bottom plates to the rectangular flange on the bearing housing. That will help massively to keep the bearing housing from being tweaked if you hit a big bump. That is the weak link in the irs trailing arm. It is easy to bend out of whack if it isn’t tied in better. When it bends, your camber and toe will be all out of whack, and you won’t be able to fix it unless you cut out the bearing carrier and weld it back in...easier said than done.

francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock IRS suspension is a good idea for a light sand rail? Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:

Once those three plates are welded in, cut a couple pieces of 3/16 or 1/4 inch flat stock to go between the large flat top and bottom plates to the rectangular flange on the bearing housing. That will help massively to keep the bearing housing from being tweaked if you hit a big bump. That is the weak link in the irs trailing arm. It is easy to bend out of whack if it isn’t tied in better. When it bends, your camber and toe will be all out of whack, and you won’t be able to fix it unless you cut out the bearing carrier and weld it back in...easier said than done.

This part (red arrow) needs extra reinforcement?
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock IRS suspension is a good idea for a light sand rail? Reply with quote

I ran IRS in my baja for 17yrs as a daily driver to desert off road and never bent a trailing arm.
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stock IRS suspension is a good idea for a light sand rail? Reply with quote

weasel_ugs wrote:
I ran IRS in my baja for 17yrs as a daily driver to desert off road and never bent a trailing arm.

Stock reinforcement trailing arms or aftermarket?
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Stock IRS suspension is a good idea for a light sand rail? Reply with quote

francoangellini wrote:
Vanapplebomb wrote:

This part (red arrow) needs extra reinforcement?

You can buy a shock mount kit that welds on to where your arrow is pointing, that works to tie in the bearing carrier. If you don’t use that, you can put two plates opposit your arrow. Either or will do the trick.

weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock IRS suspension is a good idea for a light sand rail? Reply with quote

francoangellini wrote:
weasel_ugs wrote:

Stock reinforcement trailing arms or aftermarket?

stock not reinforced.
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock IRS suspension is a good idea for a light sand rail? Reply with quote

stock arms are fine for a rail that sees a little air from time to time. if your not bottoming it out, then its happy.

do the swap, i've had both and will never keep a swingaxle again. night and day difference in handling.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Stock IRS suspension is a good idea for a light sand rail? Reply with quote

Be aware that when swapping to IRS you are opening a can of worms.
A stock swing axle has pretty descent ratios and a stock irs has more highway gears. (Though 4.12 iRS trans exist) if you go from a 4.12 swing axle to a 3.88 irs trans your car is now a dog. If you happen to have a 4.37 swing axle you’ll really notice.

So you may can swap to IrS cheap, but it’s going to cost you a pile of cash to make it something with an advantage over swing axle. A sand rail with wide offset wheels generally doesn’t have the tipping issues from axle tuck like a Baja or class 11 has. IMO you go IRS if your wanting to build a car all around, not for upgraded stock parts.

Like someone above said if you don’t bottom it out stock IRS arms will last, but any time you bottom out your risking trashing them. Depending on where you play that may or may not be an issue. I’ve just braced arms up with some strap iron before to improve the strength a little.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock IRS suspension is a good idea for a light sand rail? Reply with quote

Yes, my swing axle rail with 4.375 tranny very strong and no problems....But maybe the swap work best for my baja, I have two 1303 trailing arms and a Brazil type2 IRS Rhino case 5.143 r/p with type1 standard mounts....

Best regards.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: