Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

There will be 2 glow plugs behind the injection pump. Those suckers are fun to change out- not.

I would still not rule out the fuel cut off solenoid as the culprit. I've had a handful of VW and Audi diesels here that have exhibited the same symptoms: start/no start without warning.

I would: check V at each GP. Inspect the GP loom for corrosion.

Then I would check cut off solenoid voltage. If it were me, I would install a new fuel cut off solenoid. They're ~$50 = less than a tow. They can be a little bit of a devil to change out due to their location and other physical items in the way. I suggest buying a large wrench of the appropriate size (brain cramp at the moment on the size- want to say 27mm) from Princess Auto and cut it short.

it's possible that the cut off solenoid has gummed up a little bit but if you're going through the bother to take out to clean, just swap it out.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

pjstock wrote:
I had 12v at the glow plugs I could access.
but I could not test continuity without removing the plugs (though one fellow suggested testing Amps on the cable the powers the glow plugs. if they each draw about 10amps then 5 x 10 = 50amp reading would suggest all the plugs are good. I haven't done that test yet.)

You can test continuity by removing wire then Measuring ohms to ground
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start (was the Relay) Reply with quote

and in the end, it was apparently... the Glow PLug relay.

I am embarassed to admit that I had to ship her off to a professional mechanic who did this diagnosis.

How, after the hours I spent researching this and with my head stuck in the engine bay, I was not able to figure this out, I don't know. (I knew that a relay was a possible issue but I was pretty sure I had tested that and concluded that it was not the issue.)

Sometimes it's best to acknowledge one's limitations. This was one of mine.

but thank you all for your help.

in other news, this same mechanic (David Jeffrey who runs Auto Shop on Haas Road in Toronto, and who, while maybe not the fastest or cleanest or best organized shop in town, seems to really know VWs and vans. To this point, I recommend him. Just not if you are in a hurry.)

anyway my point is that David almost lost it when I told him I had used ether quickstart to emergency start the engine. He was adamant that this was a VERY BAD IDEA and could blow the cylinder heads. I won't be doing that trick again. Take note.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

Starter fluid is not going to damage a cylinder head. It will however, potentially break the piston rings or the ring landings on the pistons or even cause a runaway diesel. But if this scares you into not using it again then it’s just as well, don’t use it again!

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

"It will however, potentially break the piston rings or the ring landings on the pistons "

that in fact was about the exact warning he gave me. I misreported it above.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 2.4L diesel T4 Transporter does not start Reply with quote

I've seen SF shatter glow plug tips--bad juju

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: