Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What goes in these holes?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

I'm putting back together my engine and while it's out and everything is easy to get to I want to make sure I have all the little odds and ends installed.

Most holes are in the engine tin.

On this side of the firewall tin, the smaller hole is for the fuel pressure regulator. What's the larger hole for (wires)? What are the two brackets for below it?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm guessing this large hole in the center is for the accelerator cable? Is there supposed to be a grommet there? Below that on the corner of the 1&2 tin, you can kind of see another hole, what goes there?

Again on the firewall tin above the temp sensor, is this another wire hole? Do you have a part # for that grommet?

There is a tiny hole on the 3&4 tin, I'm guessing that was once where the temp sensor wire came out? On the block there is a screw hole which looks like it would be to secure the engine tin but the hole is too big for a standard cheese head screw.

There are three holes here, I assume one is for the thermostat cable (do I have it in the right one?), what about the other two?

crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

Do you have a Bentley green manual? It shows all the connections from the pre-heat to the brake vacuum line to fuel line and battery cables. That should cover most of the holes in question.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

Just throwing this out there... no real way for me to check today. But ~ is it possible you have Vanagon tin? I see a hole near your Aux Air Reg valve that is for the Vanagon dipstick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

All type 4 tin has that dipstick hole, it's a carryover from the sedan.
1st pic is alternator harness.
2nd pic is throttle cable, grommet is NLA AFAIK.
3rd is brake vacuum line (I think)
4th is plug wire clip
5th is dipstick (not used on bus), screw for lower deflector and thermo cable

Looking good in there Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

Assuming the one screw hole in the block has been drilled and tapped oversize, you will just need to use trial and error to see what the threads are.

I am guessing you are missing the right rear tin that covers the back of the #2 cylinder as I don't see it peeking out and the screw that holds it to the right side cylinder tin is missing. There is also a small seal that goes around the thermostat cable where it goes through the tin. You can make one out of plastic cut from a gallon oil jug. As I just suggested in another thread buy you oil for you next oil change in a black jug so you will have black plastic to make hole covers for your tin.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

crownline wrote:
Do you have a Bentley green manual? It shows all the connections from the pre-heat to the brake vacuum line to fuel line and battery cables. That should cover most of the holes in question.

I do have the Bentley and I couldn't find any pics that showed what went through any of these holes.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
4th is plug wire clip

Thanks

1) I'm guessing I would use a similar boot like the two that go through the alternator cover and cylinder tin.
What about the two brackets? Was something supposed to be screwed to it from the back side? Is it one of the heater tubes?

2) Do you recall what it looked like? Did the grommet have a tiny hole for the cable or was it a larger hole?

3) ...

4) Have you ever seen a photo in the gallery that shows its use?

5) I don't see any tin below it unless it supposed to be the very bottom air deflecting tin, which I haven't installed yet.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Assuming the one screw hole in the block has been drilled and tapped oversize, you will just need to use trial and error to see what the threads are.

I am guessing you are missing the right rear tin that covers the back of the #2 cylinder as I don't see it peeking out and the screw that holds it to the right side cylinder tin is missing. There is also a small seal that goes around the thermostat cable where it goes through the tin. You can make one out of plastic cut from a gallon oil jug. As I just suggested in another thread buy you oil for you next oil change in a black jug so you will have black plastic to make hole covers for your tin.

It seems odd that someone would go through the trouble to tap the hole in the block and install a threaded insert but not install a threaded insert that would allow it to use the correct size screw.

The only tins I don't have installed is the very bottom air deflection tins. The rear/front tins are fully attached and all holes in those tins have a screw in them.

I assume the fact that you are recommending me to make the seal that it's no longer available?

Thanks
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

Oh I almost forgot to ask!

On the block there is a large hole that exposes the flywheel, is that supposed to be covered?

Upper right corner.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

It is the access hole for the bolts that attach the torque converter to the flex plate if you have an automatic tranny. There would have originally been a plug blocking off the hole. Many are missing, but I think they are still available.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
4th is plug wire clip

Thanks

1) I'm guessing I would use a similar boot like the two that go through the alternator cover and cylinder tin.
What about the two brackets? Was something supposed to be screwed to it from the back side? Is it one of the heater tubes?

2) Do you recall what it looked like? Did the grommet have a tiny hole for the cable or was it a larger hole?

3) ...

5) I don't see any tin below it unless it supposed to be the very bottom air deflecting tin, which I haven't installed yet.

1= Yes.
2= see pic below
4= https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683593&highlight=ignition+clip
5= the top of #32 in the pic below has a threaded hole for a screw from the top there.
*6= https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=625677&highlight=converter+plug

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

It seems odd that someone would go through the trouble to tap the hole in the block and install a threaded insert but not install a threaded insert that would allow it to use the correct size screw.

If it's a late carbed block (and maybe early FI too) it may have had the 8mm hole for the EGR thermal valve there, but as WT's says find a screw that fits.

Слава Україні!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
4th is plug wire clip

Thanks

3) ...

1= Yes.
2= see pic below
4= https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683593&highlight=ignition+clip
5= the top of #32 in the pic below has a threaded hole for a screw from the top there.
*6= https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=625677&highlight=converter+plug

Thanks for the links, they helped alot.

Here is a better shot of that tin #32.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
[Here is a better shot of that tin #32.

No, not that one, the one against the back of cyl #2 (I might have the tin number wrong), the top of it uses one of those holes beside the unused dipstick hole.
It's odd that we can see fins on whatever number that is you have on the front side of #1, sure it goes there?

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Here is a better shot of that tin #32.

#32 is the right rear tin as the engine sits in the car.

Looks like you are missing a screw here as well though I can't see the threaded hole it is supposed to screw into.

You can see that your right front tin has been butchered and should be replaced before running the engine in hot weather.

It is a PITA getting you tin right when others have brutalized it, but once it is right it will stay right.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

Alrighty!!!!! That f@cken sucked!

So I did forget to install the rear lower cylinder tin (as you correctly called -thank you) and that was a major set back. I'm so mad at myself for doing something so stupid. I wasted so much time today just to get it back in (its like the 3rd, 4th piece that has to go on).Neutral

As for the other butchared tin...g@d damn it! Ugh!

Better now then finding out later, right?

Thanks again.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

So here is that butchered tin removed. It looks like it's #27.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

Hmmm.., looks like VW made it that way, it's been a year+ since I dressed a late type 4, maybe that opening is covered by the lower sled tin when it's installed? Here's another from the other side, looks like it's missing the same corner: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1605148

Either way it's good you asked about the hole near the breather, that tin missing would have been not so good.

Слава Україні!
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

no. that piece is hacked. there is metal missing and there should be a welded nut for a tin screw for connecting the upper and lower tin in that missing chunk (see pic below).

on another note, you're not using the correct tin screws and washers.

tin is supposed to look like this:

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What goes in these holes? Reply with quote

What do you mean I'm not using the correct tin screws?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: