Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

suddently running HOT--help me figure this out
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

Over the past couple weeks the only things I have done to my bug is change the oil (including the oil in the bath air cleaner) and install a new thermostat-- I had been running the car with no thermostat for the past few months due to the last t-stat failing several months back.
Before doing these two things, the car ran well with no real issues I can recall.
However after a short run into town to the store and gas station yesterday (probably 30 minutes total of run time) when i got back home I noticed the engine compartment is scorching hot- I could barely hold the pull handle on the deck lid, and didn't even try to touch anything in the engine bay as I knew it would be absolutely sizzling. I also could distinctly hear fuel boiling/ gurgling inside the carburetor.
The most obvious explanation of course is that the thermostat is installed wrong, where it is not pushing the cooling flaps open enough. I assure you this is NOT the case- after screwing the cold (totally compressed) t-stat onto the bottom of the pushod I made 100% sure the top of the mounting bracket was positioned just up against the top of the t-stat before tightening the mounting bolt. So I knew the t-stat could expand as much as possible (flaps would be wide open) before pulling the t-stat down into the bottom of the mounting bracket and securing it. It's very difficult for me to believe this has to do with the t-stat installation, but I am certainly prepared to go back out there and remove it and see if it makes any difference.
Could there be anything related to the oil bath air cleaner that could cause this? I did have to remove it completely to clean it out and refill it, and while I had it out I cleaned out the top portion with gasoline (no kerosene present) and then blew it out with comrpessed air. I have no idea whether I got it all out of there though- not really sure how you're supposed to actually clean those completely out.
The car itself runs fine- just exceedingly hot.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

I don't see how the air cleaner would have anything to do with the temp issue so I would be looking into the thermostat.

Remove it.
Bench test it.
Test the flappers.
If good install it and test it on the engine too.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

Well since you have checked the flap position which is not rocket science then it could easily to be something else. If it's running the same I would say the timing probably hasn't changed. It could certainly be something else that has happened coincidentally such as something getting into.or blocking the fan.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

Maybe try removing thermostat altogether once again, and see if it runs cool like it did before?

Also recommend checking the cooling flaps (via linkage behind fan shroud) and make sure they’re moving freely. Plus make sure you have a good / tight spring on the flaps linkage. It’s what helps hold those cooling flaps wide open when thermostat is fully expanded (or if no thermostat at all).

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

Id check the thermostat flaps position when hot. checking it cold may not be helpful. So warm her up, keeping on eye on not letting her get too hot, once warmed up, check that the thermostat flap linkage has moved to the full cooling position.
Also check out the fan inlet for a rag or towel or such that may have got sucked in.
a cell phone camera can be useful to use to see back there.

Good Luck, keep us posted.
BUG ON! cooly of course!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

Have you warmed up the engine, and with the engine still running, gone around to the back with a flashlight and checked to see that the thermostat is actually opening all the way when hot? Does the thermostat rod retract easily when you pull on it and let it go?

Also, I have a slightly different way of adjusting the thermostat. I don’t adjust the thermostat bracket so that the inner top of it touches the top of the thermostat. I just put the thermostat in the bracket, then push the thermostat up until it stops. Naturally, the thermostat bracket goes up with the thermostat. At this point, the thermostat, rod, and bracket are in the fully open position. Then, I tighten the nut that holds the thermostat bracket in this position, pull down on the thermostat and place it into the bottom of the bracket, and install its bolt.

This method insures that the bracket is positioned by the action of pushing up on the thermostat—the perfect, topmost position. No fiddling with lining up the bracket is required. The thermostat itself, while touching the inner topmost part of the bracket, during the pushing up process, accomplishes this position.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

Wrong, mis-calibrated or defective thermostat opening but opening at too high of a temperature?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses!

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Have you warmed up the engine, and with the engine still running, gone around to the back with a flashlight and checked to see that the thermostat is actually opening all the way when hot? Does the thermostat rod retract easily when you pull on it and let it go?

Also, I have a slightly different way of adjusting the thermostat. I don’t adjust the thermostat bracket so that the inner top of it touches the top of the thermostat. I just put the thermostat in the bracket, then push the thermostat up until it stops. Naturally, the thermostat bracket goes up with the thermostat. At this point, the thermostat, rod, and bracket are in the fully open position. Then, I tighten the nut that holds the thermostat bracket in this position, pull down on the thermostat and place it into the bottom of the bracket, and install its bolt.

This method insures that the bracket is positioned by the action of pushing up on the thermostat—the perfect, topmost position. No fiddling with lining up the bracket is required. The thermostat itself, while touching the inner topmost part of the bracket, during the pushing up process, accomplishes this position.

Tim

When the engine was hot I had checked to make sure the thermostat was fully extended and not ganging up on anything, which it was-- also since i didn't drive the car yesterday I went back and looked while the engine was cold and it had fully retracted. (I can also kind of tell this of course from the air cleaner flap cable, whether it's pushing the snorkel flap into the open-to-preheat air position with engine cold, or pulling the flap into the open-to-snorkel air position with engine hot, which it was doing just fine.)
However when I installed the thermostat I still had the nut for the mounting bracket a bit loose, so I wonder if when I pulled the thermostat down into the bottom of the bracket to secure it the bracket slid down with it. This would cause the whole arrangement to sit too low so even with the thermostat fully expanded upward the pushrod would not have opened the flaps completely.
I went back out there a bit ago and loosened up the bracket and thermostat, and redid it the exact way you described, making absolutely sure the whole arrangement (with top of bracket simply resting atop the t-stat) was upward as far as it would go (flaps fully open), then tightened the mounting bracket nut, then pulled the t-stat down and secured it to the bottom of the bracket. When i did it this way, the mounting stud ends up being more in the middle of the oblong hole in the bracket, where before it was more toward the top (meaning the bracket was sitting lower before.) So it's cetainly possible I had the whole setup too low before.
I'm planning on driving it around town tomorrow for about an hour or so- I'll keep an eye on things.
Thanks everyone

1600 SP engine
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

You could just heat the thermostat up with a hair dryer or a heat gun to check that everything moves as it should.

Max
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

This makes no sense. Does it run fine or not?

Your running too lean.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

Check for plastic bag or shop rag in cooling fan.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Nothing stuck in the fan.

VW_Jimbo wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Your running too lean.

Your semantics argument aside, I'm wondering how I could suddenly be running lean when all I did is an oil change and thermostat install. Please explain. Are you saying something is clogging the air flow through the air cleaner now since I had it off and cleaned it out?

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

VW_Jimbo wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Your running too lean.

Your semantics argument aside, I'm wondering how I could suddenly be running lean when all I did is an oil change and thermostat install. Please explain.

Did you change fuel suppliers?

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Did you change fuel suppliers?

Actually yes.
This is about the same time I went to the other station selling the 91 octane ethanol free. Before I had just been using 87 octane E10.
Are you saying there's a reason it's such a great price? Wink

1600 SP engine
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

Fuel companies will also alter their blends according to seasons.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

What you might be experiencing is the Non-ethanol, higher octane fuel might be burning hotter.

It might be worth switching back to the fuel that you were previously using before you start screwing with adjustments.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
What you might be experiencing is the Non-ethanol, higher octane fuel might be burning hotter.

It might be worth switching back to the fuel that you were previously using before you start screwing with adjustments.

higher octane should not cause over heat. lower octane can cause over heat, IF there is knocking, detonation because of the low octane. switching fuels, I have never seen temperature change, and I do have a temp gage. certainly not enough change to cause the engine lid handle to get too hot to hold in my experience of 40 years of Bugging.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

VW_Jimbo wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Your running too lean.

Your semantics argument aside, I'm wondering how I could suddenly be running lean when all I did is an oil change and thermostat install. Please explain. Are you saying something is clogging the air flow through the air cleaner now since I had it off and cleaned it out?

A clogged air filter would cause the engine to run rich since less air is making its way into the combustion cylinder. By following Jim's take, I would look into any blockages in the carb or a timing issue. BUT before that, I would remove/test the tstat as I had mentioned before. I would also consider changing the oil once more since the overheat can cause faster breakdown of it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

higher octane should not cause over heat. lower octane can cause over heat, IF there is knocking, detonation because of the low octane. switching fuels, I have never seen temperature change, and I do have a temp gage. certainly not enough change to cause the engine lid handle to get too hot to hold in my experience of 40 years of Bugging.

Bug On!

Higher octane can cause more heat due to the slower, longer burn of the fuel instead of just the initial ignition of lower grade fuel.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: suddently running HOT--help me figure this out Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Your running too lean.

I stand by my first statement. Your statement is illogical. Thus, it makes no sense. Cars are all logical. Nothing more complex than that. That is why they are easy to figure out.

Now, you changed the way the car operates whether you know it or not. You messed with the dynamics of fuel ratio. Your air filter was dirty, you stated that you cleaned it. Your engine is breathing way easier now, too easy and gulping in more air, which your idle mixture screw is not set for. The air pressure has changed. That filter was a choke plate before. It no longer is. Get it.

Add to this the now hotter running engine, due to the new thermostat. The cylinder walls are now cooling off to quickly inside as the gas hits them, forming droplets instead of vapor. Drops do not burn. So, the interior of the mixture is burning and the exterior of it is not. You have an overly rich, lean burning mixture.

It is proven, by most auto makers. That is why there is a preheat for warm up, to keep the mixture in a vapor state. Reset your timing and mixture. I would think it will get better.

Hopefully you purchased the same temperature thermostat. Might want to check that, while you are at it.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: