Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600 dual relief/single port questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortbutslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: 1600 dual relief/single port questions Reply with quote

Greetings,

My '62 rag came with what I think is a 1600 dual relief single port from 1970 (B6059071) of unknown provenance, not running of course. I have not torn into it yet so all I know is that it has a lightened flywheel and turns freely, has a 30-PICT-3 carb and the shroud has a sticker that says something about emissions and 1974....so I'm not really sure what I've got. That said, I wanted to know more about the case - it appears that the dual relief single port was a one year configuration so wondering if that is something to steer away from for any reason? My objective at this point is reliability and simplicity.

Thanks in advance!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual relief/single port questions Reply with quote

shortbutslow wrote:
it appears that the dual relief single port was a one year configuration

Essentially, yes.

shortbutslow wrote:
wondering if that is something to steer away from for any reason? My objective at this point is reliability and simplicity.

No real reason to avoid a "B" engine case, much better than the earlier "H" cases.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual relief/single port questions Reply with quote

Quote:
the shroud has a sticker that says something about emissions and 1974

A 1974 Type 1 engine for the US market (therefore the federally-required emissions label) would have a doghouse fan shroud. Look for an approx. 1" long metal pipe about 1/2" diameter sticking out of the shroud at the upper right, which is an inherent part of doghouses which started with the '71 model year. With its larger cooling fan inside the shroud and the large oil cooler, you have the makings of a robust engine. If the engine turns freely, check the ignition points that they open and don't have oxidation on the round contact surfaces. You can pour some fresh gas into the carb's float chamber vent pipe (brass pipe that sticks upwards/rearwards at an angle once the air cleaner is off), and there's a good chance the engine will start and run for approx. 15 seconds.

There's a man who has made many videos on YouTube named Mustie1; he has quite the knack for getting non-running engines going, whether VW, motorcycle, lawn mowers, etc.
shortbutslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual relief/single port questions Reply with quote

Thank you both.

Yes, it has that small pipe on the right top corner of the shroud! Interesting - the PO said he had heard it was a good engine (at one point), good to know its still a possibility.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: