Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inside my ugly 64 doors
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Inside my ugly 64 doors Reply with quote

Finally got around to making some improvements on my 1964 door insides.
I have Cal one piece windows put in by a po….someday I want to go back to stock, but for now I just want to get things a little more right. The doors rattle like crazy and is seems to be because the bracket is broken. This is the bracket at the very bottom of the photo with the single nut visible. Is this a fabricated piece by a po ?..or can I buy this ? ( see picture ). I may resort to the very very bad idea of JB weld as a temp fix....as my welder is not working.

Also it seems that the vertical bracket that holds the armrest secure is missing. Does anyone sell this armrest bracket . I am guessing it has a nut to hold it in place and a slot hold at the bottom of door. Right now the armrest is not firm at all when the door panel is in place.

See anything else weird with my doors ??? I know they are a bit funky.

Thanks for the input
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Inside my ugly 64 doors Reply with quote

That looks like a fabricated bracket that has been riveted in as part of the customization.

If you look just forward of the rivets you’ll see a slot. That slot is the bottom mounting point for the vertical bracket that would be installed to retain the armrest bracket. There was just a thread about this. I’ll find it and link it here. And yes- they are available to purchase, you just need to know what to buy.

Here you go:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=706664&highlight=armrest
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Inside my ugly 64 doors Reply with quote

Yes that is a home made bracket inside the door. The 64 Bug uses a pinion and gear arrangement to drive the window, later Bugs use a cable system, which your one piece window uses. to go back to stock you need to get the early style mechanism installed, not the type found on the later Bugs! The late type is distinguished by the angled vent window guide, early by the vertical vent window guide

Arm rest mount here...

http://www.westcoastmetric.com/c-1176945-vw-bug-sedan-1963-vw-bug-sedan-interior-door-hardware.html

note that the window winder mechanism shown on the link is NOT the correct one for early Bugs, it is mislabled. The correct style early mechanism is shown here...

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111837501D

this maybe helpful for restoration...
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/door_components/bug_to_1964/bug_door_to_1964.cfm

Here is the arm rest support

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1012158

Here is one or a pair for sale..

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1001432

Hope this helps.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Inside my ugly 64 doors Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will need to remake the window bracket or weld it.

Glad to know the arm rest supports are avail too.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Inside my ugly 64 doors Reply with quote

First off . . . I could be wrong, but . . . the bracket does not look homemade!
I looks like one of these . . . cut out of the bottom of a '68 Beetle door . . .

Whoever installed the window conversion put in more than the typical effort by installing those brackets!
I would put new rivets in there until you are able to weld them.

There is something else missing . . . the "anti-rattle cushions"!
There is supposed to be two for each door.
They are often missing, however they are easily knocked off so check for them down in the valley (inside the bottom of your doors) . . . this is what you want to find . . .

Take a look to see how the cushions fit on the regulators . . .

NOTE . . . correct placement is towards the lower, corners of the regulator they prevent the regulator from making contact with the inside of the door skin . . .

Free tip of the day . . . clean the drain holes in the bottom of your doors while you have the door cards off! Wink
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Inside my ugly 64 doors Reply with quote

57Blitz.......after looking closer I think you may be correct on the bracket!
Thanks for pictures.

I looked for the anti rattle cushions and they are gone....plenty of other crap in the channel of the doors but not what I wanted.

Does anyone see just the cushions? I could always just cut up some mud flap rubber and jam in there too

Also....is there a benefit or need to oil the regulators / cables.....with silicone or some type of lube spray......not wd40 I would guess ??????
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Inside my ugly 64 doors Reply with quote

I believe they are greased.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: