Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new trw steering box troubles
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

I installed a new trw box in my 60 a few weeks ago along with the required new pitman arm.

It drives fine bUt the steering wheel keeps changing positions. I had it centered correctly. Then after driving about 20 miles I parked. When i started driving again the wheel is at 5oclock position when going straight.

Yesterday a went back through everything, made sure all the bolts were tight, steering column aligned etc.. Thought all was good but then it did it again this morning.

If i turn the steering all the way to full stop it will move the wheel position.

maybe the shaft is slipping at the connection below the coupler?

Straight/Straight:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

they are junk

grab a beverage : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660446
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

Thanks- I've read that and a lot other threads about these boxes but i didnt see anything that addressed the problem i am having.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

Oh boy here we go again Shocked
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

zabo wrote:
I installed a new trw box in my 60 a few weeks ago along with the required new pitman arm.

It drives fine bUt the steering wheel keeps changing positions. I had it centered correctly. Then after driving about 20 miles I parked. When i started driving again the wheel is at 5oclock position when going straight.

Yesterday a went back through everything, made sure all the bolts were tight, steering column aligned etc.. Thought all was good but then it did it again this morning.

If i turn the steering all the way to full stop it will move the wheel position.

maybe the shaft is slipping at the connection below the coupler?

Straight/Straight:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I would stop driving the Bug until this problem is resolved, what ever is causing the wheel to change positions, may create a very dangerous driving condition. Do not drive until fixed.

Good Luck

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

I would mark or scribe matching marks on everything that can loosen or change in the steering train (coupler, pitman arm, beam) and the clamps that hold them together. Then move the wheel until you feel it shift, and re-check your marks. There isn't much inside the box that would cause your symptoms, so I'd check the externals as above first.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

Agree with the above.

Is the Pitman arm correct for the box (not necessarily for your year model) and not chewed out already at the connection?
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I would mark or scribe matching marks on everything that can loosen or change in the steering train (coupler, pitman arm, beam) and the clamps that hold them together. Then move the wheel until you feel it shift, and re-check your marks. There isn't much inside the box that would cause your symptoms, so I'd check the externals as above first.

good idea- ill try this
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

I've also seen use of blue painters tape, placed tightly at joints, a fine line made, and then it is slit at the joint where movement could occur, so any movement can be witnessed. It also allows for multiple checks-- after a couple of iterations, keeping scribe marks clear gets harder. This is removable for another try.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

Does the steering wheel position to 70clock if the wheel is turned to lock in the opposite direction?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

check your tie rod ends, ball joints and wheel bearings...... I have installed at least 6 or more TRW boxes with no issues.....One in my 65 bug that I have put 30K miles on.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

I’m guessing he may have the wrong pitman arm. I had a similar issue on my dune buggy. Someone replaced the PA with a chrome unit. There are ones with small and large holes. When buying tierods you have to make sure they match. If the pitman arm has large holes and the tierods are small hole, you get a similar effect. Or at least I did.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

Very good point - yeah, you need to mix and match tie rod ends if a later pitman arm.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

Im going to take a closer look this weekend. All the rain this week has made it tough to investigate.

I think I have the correct pitman arm -except i hate that its chrome Smile
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142807439743

"The pitman arm is to be used with a steering box with a small shaft and small king pin tie rods"
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

going to test some more- but made some scribe marks and drove it around the block - steering wheel changed position but scribe marks are still aligned.

I do think I need a new inner right wheel bearing as i can feel some play there. No play at the link pins. all tie rod ends are looking good.

Could the wheel bearing be effecting it this much?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

In the 60s, there were just two size of steering output shafts, so if yours fits, it's right.

So you have then verified that both sides of the steering coupler are not shifting? I have seen it where either of the clamps were not tight enough and that would cause odd shifts in the steering wheel.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

Are you also certain the steering box isn't shifting position on the torsion beam?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Are you also certain the steering box isn't shifting position on the torsion beam?

This is my theory; in fact I had the exact same thing happen on mine about a year after I replaced the box. Scared the crap out of me since I was driving a twisty side road at the time. I drove VERY carefully home, and found the box slightly loose... it took some leverage to move it, but the torque spec showed it was in fact loose.

I just can't think of much internal to the box that could cause this. I'm not saying it's impossible (broken shaft inside?) but very unlikely.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

Well, don't original beams have a nub for the steering box clamp plate to slot into, preventing any kind of that sort of movement? When I put a replacement new Mexican made beam in my Baja I was a bit annoyed that it didn't have the alignment nub on it.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TYBUGGER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: new trw steering box troubles Reply with quote

I’m sorry to hijack this thread , but I just bought a trw sterring box and no instuctions came with it. Do you have to install any gear oil to it out of the box or grease it in any way. I’ve search threads but found nothing . Thanks for any help
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: