Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tranz question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Tranz question Reply with quote

I ran into this with my 914. I was told, there is no real way to test a tranz when it is out of the car. So I spent two years welding metal and building an engine, then the tranz was crap. Not dead, but a problem that added several months to me driving. I prefer not to go thru that on my '72 bus.

So I am a ways off from having to worry about it, but maybe I should just buy a re-built tranz to put in when everything is ready. Vs. taking that chance again and having a long delay.

Thoughts???
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tranz question Reply with quote

I use a guy in Ringgold, Ga. just south of Chattanooga for rebuilding my transaxles. He does stellar work and a 3 year/unlimited mile guarantee. I get mine in the que soon as possible since he stays busy and ACVW transaxle repair is his hobby.

PM for his contact info.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tranz question Reply with quote

I'm not trying to highjack this thread, but does anyone have any good tips on storing an extra transmission? Oil in? Oil out? leave drain plug unscrewed? turn axles every year? Fill with a little oil and slosh it around the trans once a year to keep the gears from freezing?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tranz question Reply with quote

Easier to post a picture than describe, no oil, two 2x4's and tail up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tranz question Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Easier to post a picture than describe, no oil, two 2x4's and tail up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Like Busman78 - INSIDE and not outdoors. Not in anyplace that is damp.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tranz question Reply with quote

Were it my bus, I'd run it & see.
The 002 transmission is known for carrier bearing failure that pound the
carrier support metal out of dimension. Exactly what happened to my'74
after many miles, at that point you may want a 091 box or 5 rib from 1975.
Those are known to be 110% better for long-term happiness.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tranz question Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
I use a guy in Ringgold, Ga. just south of Chattanooga for rebuilding my transaxles. He does stellar work and a 3 year/unlimited mile guarantee. I get mine in the que soon as possible since he stays busy and ACVW transaxle repair is his hobby.

PM for his contact info.

Great to see you post Jeff, we haven’t heard for you in a while. Hope all is good with you.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tranz question Reply with quote

Yep....agree. Vertical...well oiled but no oil if indoors amd climate controlled.

However.... If you have to store it in a non climate controlled indoor space like a storage unit....overfill it and with ATF......and either plug the vent carefully or shrink wrap it.

Do this on a low humidity day. You are trying to prevent the in and out influx of humid air that happens with changes in temperature and atmospheric pressure. Over time.....that condense into a corrosive water layer.

ATF.....automatic transmission fluid.....does not have the EP sulfates/sulfur that reacts with moisture and creates an acidic state that gear oil does. Its the best long term preservative I have found. I have a five gallon bucket of it I use for storing new and lightly used bearings zip tied to their outer races and differntial/gear parts. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tranz question Reply with quote

A box stored out of doors but away from the elements, like installed in a vehicle or even just thrown inside a bus will do well for many years. Throwing multiple layers of tarps over it will help cut down on the daily temperature fluctuations.

Smearing some grease on the splines and bearing surface of the input shaft will keep them from being degraded.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: