Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alignment
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Alignment Reply with quote

Hi All,

So, to preface, I own a couple of Alfa Romeos, a 77Spider and a 78 GTV. Had to replace a couple tie rod ends on the GTV then took it to a shop for a much needed alignment. After 20 minutes the tech came out and said they could not align the car because the steering rack was slightly loose. I asked could they at least just get it close and they said nope, not gonna touch it. Later that day I had it at my main mechanics shop getting something done that rewuired a lift. I told him about the alignment fiasco and he, without saying a word, pulled out a piece of string, wrapped it around the car mid wheel and adjusted the tie rods till the wheels touched the string evenly front and back. Said, "there, your car is aligned. That's how we aligned Ferraris on the race track." Well, the car drives perfectly straight and stops without pulling so I guess it works.

The point is, it's difficult these days to find actual mechanics who know how to fix things well rather than push buttons on a computer. I have a 66 Dune Runner on a 65 link pin pan. Rebuilt link/king pins, new driver side tie rod, dampener and Empi front discs, 4 lug. Car pulls pretty hard left on hard braking so need an alignment. Probably four wheel as I have had the trans out to reseal.

So the question, where in the Seattle area can I take this?
What kind of alignment shop should I look for?

There are precious few AC VW resources around here. At least that I have found so far.

Thanks for any help.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment Reply with quote

I doubt the pulling under braking is from the alignment. Check the right rear to make sure there is no air in the cylinder and that the cylinder actually functions and isn't seized. Also make sure the rear brakes are adjusted equally. And finally make sure there is no air in the right front caliper.

brad
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment Reply with quote

I worked in GM, Ford and Chrysler dealers plus a few independents over the years and I was always surprised at how many of the "mechanics" I worked around didn't know anything about alignments much less how to make adjustments. They's set up the car with AL wheels and use the inside grabbers and scar the hell out of the wheels and then if it was "in the green" before even doing a caster sweep or measuring SAI they'd let it go even though there's 2deg negative camber on one side and 2deg positive on the other side and not having a clue as to what that means. It's still within spec so it must be ok. Then they set the toe and wind up with a crooked steering wheel about 95% of the time and let the car go with no test drive so the guy comes right back pissed off because his steering wheel is 1/4 of a turn off, seen it a million times. Now, when it comes to alignments, I'd never do the old "just get it as close as you can" knowing there were loose parts or anything else jacked up. Why? Because they leave me, go buy tires at the cheapest place they can find and then come back in a month screaming at me with cords hanging out of the new tires blaming me because I did the alignment. I hate having to get my cars aligned anymore knowing what I know.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment Reply with quote

Quote:
I doubt the pulling under braking is from the alignment.

^^This
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment Reply with quote

Slalombuggy, every component of the brake system is new. MC, WC's, brake lines (soft and hard) drums and discs, pads and shoes and hardware. Even the ebrake is new from the handle to the guts inside the drum. Have bled the thing three times and can not get any more air to come out anywhere, though I will go through it again with particular attention to rear right. Will also adjust again to make sure they are even.

This is my 4th AC VW and have never had anything like this before. Any other thoughts?
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment Reply with quote

Doesn't hurt to have a good alignment.

I'm running disk up front and drum rear.

Here in Germany the car is tested for alignment and braking power in the front, just braking power for both pedal and E brake in the rear. Just had my buggy inspected in August, the left front has more braking power than the right, always has since inspections on it for the last 10 years, Japan does the same thing, in fact I couldn't pass the braking one time and had to over tighten the front right once and another time the inspector got in and showed me how to turn the wheel at the right time to "fool" the machine.

Big dial indicators show the inspector and lights flash for pass or fail.

My assumption is the right front does not brake as well as there is no weight there to help with braking. There really is no weight in the front of a buggy. And mine dives left under hard braking, not as much with disk, but I know this is the nature of this beast.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment Reply with quote

My assumption is the right front does not brake as well as there is no weight there to help with braking. There really is no weight in the front of a buggy. And mine dives left under hard braking, not as much with disk, but I know this is the nature of this beast.

Could be this. Get a passenger the same size as you and go for a drive. For added fun, don't tell him what you're doing and just slam on the brakes randomly....... Twisted Evil

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: