Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What shocks?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: What shocks? Reply with quote

Looking for ideas on what shocks I should run.
I have a raised b/j front end with adjusters.
My driving will be a cross of street and mild off road.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Craig
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: What shocks? Reply with quote

You could sift through the sticky

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488803

KYB Gas adjusts are pretty popular.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: What shocks? Reply with quote

Bock wrote:
You could sift through the sticky

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488803

KYB Gas adjusts are pretty popular.

I agree. Some like Bilsteins at around 2x the price. KYB provides the best shock for the buck.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: What shocks? Reply with quote

Most likely as long as it’s not empi, you’ll be further ahead than most!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
paranoid56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What shocks? Reply with quote

fox shocks Very Happy
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: What shocks? Reply with quote

I like the cheap auto zone Gabriel oil shocks for the front its a buggy or Manx, a Baja may be heavy enough to need the better shocks.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: What shocks? Reply with quote

I used kyb gas adjust on all my vws for years and found them very good.

I must say that after changing to bilstein I notice a considerable difference for the better. Much smoother ride at high speeds on washboard roads. And much better control on whoops and bumps. They are not necessary but I think well worth it. The only negative I noticed was that in long slow sweeping turns on pavement I get more ‘lean’. I believe this is because of the progressive nature of the shock. They react quickly to fast movement. But not as reactive to slow steady pressure.
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: What shocks? Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:

I must say that after changing to bilstein I notice a considerable difference for the better. Much smoother ride at high speeds on washboard roads. And much better control on whoops and bumps. They are not necessary but I think well worth it. The only negative I noticed was that in long slow sweeping turns on pavement I get more ‘lean’. I believe this is because of the progressive nature of the shock. They react quickly to fast movement. But not as reactive to slow steady pressure.

This is good Information, what suspension/travel do you have?
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: What shocks? Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:

Were the Bilsteins a true bolt on item? If so, do you happen to have the part number?

And thanks everyone for the replies!
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What shocks? Reply with quote

F O X !! Exclamation Exclamation

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What shocks? Reply with quote

mr_bill wrote:
F O X !! Exclamation Exclamation

Which Fox shocks would you recommend?
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: What shocks? Reply with quote

I use

Bilstein 6100 Series Shocks:  VW Off Road / Class 9 / Class 11 - Ball Joint Front (cut and turned) - 265/70 on the front with a thing spindles and adjusters , i think the adjusters are set for mostly upward from stock adjustment. And i have had them set at just a little above stock height. I think i have about 6" of travel in the front but i have set stops so the shocks dont bottom out in either direction.

My rears are Bilstein 5165 resevoir. I selected these to fit my partioiuclar set up, with 3/4 " notch, empi race type 2 cv's, and the bottom 1.5 " cut off the shock mounts. I forget travel but i think it was about 6.5".

you should measure your actual travel and fit on both sides. turns out the rear 5165 had correct movement on one side, that i had measured out, with a little bit extra shock travel, about 1/2 ", beyond my hard suspension stops. So all is good....
.Except because of variations from one side to the other it turns out the other side did not have the same exact geometry and one shock was bottoming out before my hard stops, Not good. I changed that side trailing arm for another reason and mounted my shock in an uncut bottom shock mount and the travel is free now. Anyway the point is that the available travel in most of the shocks i found made it very critical that
they be measured and installed with care. because of the limited space of the stock rear mounts , finding shocks that fit and had the proper travel in the right spot was a bit of a puzzle .... and i missed it by about 3/8" on one side good luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: