Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Greetings, everyone! Recently, I’ve seen a few new members digging in and participating in the diagnosing of various bus issues around here. Kudos to you folks, keep it up!

To keep the spirit of learning alive, I propose a game. When time allows, I will post a thread as a new VW owner who is having a problem with their bus, (occasionally using confusing words and “great advice I get from Facebook.”) To those of you who read threads and do not participate much because you fear being wrong or giving bad advice, this thread is for you!! To those of you who can diagnose from a thousand miles away, please watch from a distance. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. I don’t want any regulars chiming in instantly and ruining the fun! Smile

Rules:

1) Ask questions, make suggestions, and learn! Don’t be afraid!
2) Every thread scenario has actually happened.
3) Newbies only. You know who you are.
4) No prizes… Yet!!!!

See you on the “road.” Game 4 is in the next post!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Subject: brake warning light glows slightly

Hi there, I just bought a ’77 Westy and it runs and drives perfectly except for one little detail. When I release the hand brake, the warning light in the dash dims down but does not shut off. It’s annoying at night; is it supposed to be this way? If not, how do I fix it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Subject: brake warning light glows slightly

Hi there, I just bought a ’77 Westy and it runs and drives perfectly except for one little detail. When I release the hand brake, the warning light in the dash dims down but does not shut off. It’s annoying at night; is it supposed to be this way? If not, how do I fix it?

Hey, I can answer this one as I just dealt with it in my 77.

The switch has dirty contacts internally. Spraying it with DEOXIT and working it in and out a few times cleared the problem right up.

It could also be that the handbrake cables aren't adjusted tight enough underneath though, and not pulling the handle flush with the dash.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
A) The switch has dirty contacts internally. Spraying it with DEOXIT and working it in and out a few times cleared the problem right up.

B) It could also be that the handbrake cables aren't adjusted tight enough underneath though, and not pulling the handle flush with the dash.

A) I sprayed with contact cleaner and snapped the switch closed by hand and it did not change.

B) Even when pushed in all the way with a screwdriver tip, the light still glows.

Robbie
ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Handbrake switch failed? Is the warning light socket malfunctioning? I would test these two first If not, I have a few more questions:

1.) I see you are driving a '77. Do you still have drums in the rear?
2.) Does the light come on when hard braking?
3.) How much play is in the brake pedal?
4.) When was the last tune on the bus? Did in include adjusting the master cylinder push rod?
5.) Is there a leak in the master cylinder or brake lines?

Just wanting to know more. I am a noob, but these are all valid questions (I think...).
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Since most things electrical work on a closed ground loop, would this be an indication that the switch is still making contact with a grounded surface? When people say their headlights are dim, the response always seems to be, "check your grounds". So a dim bulb should indicate a weak ground connection but because it's lit when it shouldn't be then that should indicate an errant ground somewhere. To me that means it's either going to be at the switch, the bulb, or a wire that has worn through because it's rubbing against metal somewhere.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

move your stogie away from the light so the reflection isn't picked up in it.

Laughing
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

bad diode in the light most likely...providing all connections are correct and clean.

light comes on with key, regardless if brake is pulled. light goes out when running cuz it's hooked into the charge circuit. or a bad connection causing feedback.

I dealt with this once...iirc it was a bad ground...but it was a 2 min fix with a dvom and a power probe

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
bad diode in the light most likely...providing all connections are correct and clean.

light comes on with key, regardless if brake is pulled. light goes out when running cuz it's hooked into the charge circuit. or a bad connection causing feedback.

I dealt with this once...iirc it was a bad ground...but it was a 2 min fix with a dvom and a power probe
Noobs only.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

ChrisFred wrote:
Handbrake switch failed? Is the warning light socket malfunctioning? I would test these two first If not, I have a few more questions:

1.) I see you are driving a '77. Do you still have drums in the rear?
2.) Does the light come on when hard braking?
3.) How much play is in the brake pedal?
4.) When was the last tune on the bus? Did in include adjusting the master cylinder push rod?
5.) Is there a leak in the master cylinder or brake lines?

Bypassing the switch (by bridging the wires) changes nothing. Braking performance of the car is excellent, both in the foot pedal and hand brake.

1) Yes
2) No amount of pedal interaction changes the behavior
3) .040"
4) Today. No adjustment necessary, because everything else was perfect except this glowing light. Cool
5) No.

Good questions, consider checking out the wiring diagrams. Wink

--

ivwshane wrote:
Since most things electrical work on a closed ground loop, would this be an indication that the switch is still making contact with a grounded surface? When people say their headlights are dim, the response always seems to be, "check your grounds". So a dim bulb should indicate a weak ground connection but because it's lit when it shouldn't be then that should indicate an errant ground somewhere. To me that means it's either going to be at the switch, the bulb, or a wire that has worn through because it's rubbing against metal somewhere.

I traced the wires and they're all tidy, unbroken, and not chafing. Grounds are all spotless and plugged in exactly where they should be, according to Bentley. All dash lights work, and the switch passes muster when tested with an ohmmeter for function.

[The parking brake warning switch doesn't care if it touches a grounded surface or not; it only breaks a ground path for the bulb, (blue wire in and brown wire out.)]

--

Tom, thanks. Wink
Skills, diodes? We've got regular bulbs here. Smile

Robbie
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

FEEDBACK from the switch on the master cylinder
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Noobs only.

sweet!

I will remember that when I do a build thread. or perhaps I will start my own advanced member thread Rolling Eyes

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

perhaps I will start my own advanced member thread Rolling Eyes

Do it! Twisted Evil

WESTYJACK, explain this, and how you would troubleshoot it?

Robbie
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Don - it is Ok, calm down - its a millennial thing. They only need us for Go-Fund-Me's.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Don - it is Ok, calm down - its a millennial thing. They only need us for Go-Fund-Me's.

plenty calm Steve. the reality is they need us more than we need them...that's not arrogance...that's the truth. funny, the forum is so fucked up these days...you try and help and you're an asshole for sharing real world fixes....then your an asshole for not trying to help, or your an asshole for showing a technique that isn't in the holy grail book...can't seem to win.

if anyone is keeping score, you'll notice I haven't posted much of anything as of late....because why bother? it's all been done ad nauseam. what's really funny (or sad) is all of the pm's (or calls/text messages) I get from the hardcore fleet of longtime members that just don't post anymore. I will just say there is a lot more activity behind the scenes than what is going on in the forum

Robbie...sorry to derail. I won't post in any of these "games" anymore

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

while i see the point in trying to keep this just to noobs, in the real world, most fixes are very difficult for long time bus mechanics to diagnose over the internet. seems like the most knowledge comes from the most people.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

I’ll derail for a moment. This thread is about trouble shooting for noobs. But I think it’s also good for the noobs to see how the experienced and knowledgeable users interact on this forum. Many of us have met or know someone who knows someone. Lots of different personalities on here. I see people accuse Skills, Tram, Hazetguy, and others of being assholes. When really they just trying to help. Don’t blame them when you refuse their advice and they turn up the heat for wasting their time. True some people are just A holes taking personal shots. Learn the difference.

We already lost OldDKP, Desertbusman, and Tom passed. Skills you’d better not leave. Get back in the Bar Very Happy

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Advanced info, not shown in the Bentley schematics (probably not be relevant here, but can't hurt to know how it works inside...)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

["X" terminal typically grounded.]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note: diodes are 1N4148, transistors are 2N3904 (they work for repairs...), and bulbs do plug in.
Lamp lights by:
- grounding 61
- applying 12 volts to "K"
- ungrounding "X"
- pressing red lens (for those models which support this feature; switch not shown above)
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

OOOH, OOOH, Mr. Kotter, MR. Kotter.....remove the bulb or paint the lens black.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
OOOH, OOOH, Mr. Kotter, MR. Kotter.....remove the bulb or paint the lens black.

Laughing hehe... Laughing
I'm betting Mr Millenial doesn't get the Kotter reference.
That is from the end of the baby boomer generation. Laughing

And skillz... Please stick around. Your input is invaluable to us noobs.
While it may sound like we don't listen to you, yeah, we do.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: