Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
. I was able to solve all the puzzles except one and that was about 18" to 48" diameter x 40' long pieces of pipe failing when put in use after they had been hauled by truck or rail even moderate distances. Any long haul truckers out there?

transit fatigue. depending on how the pipe was made (seamless/welded seam etc) would determine the failure rate to a point...but usually impurities or hard spots during manufacture were the real issue. lot's of flex when you get something longer than 10' it seems

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
Internal short in the climate control bulb backfeeding to the brake warning ground.

I've seen this before - it usually blows the base-emitter junction of the transistor inside the lamp assy if 31 gets lifted towards 12 volts while 61 is grounded by the switch on the parking brake. Did the lamp fully function after the other lamp was fixed? Just fixed a couple of these for Aeromech last week - blown diodes and transistors.

Just curious...

31 had 3.2 volts- that’s when I had to pull out the diagram. This was about three weeks ago in New Hampshire, and the bulbs all functioned perfectly after the climate control bulb was replaced. (Even the summer was flawless, which seems to be more common on later bays in my experience. Ideas why that trend exists?)

Did people here actually think I was pawning my customer troubles off in these threads? If so, “that’s really cute that you think that.” Right Stuart??? Laughing

Two months ago I posted the first issue in a string of games that would not have been solved by playing parts darts. Y’all are welcome to post whatever you want, wherever you want within the guidelines here. So am I. And I’m sorry if I’ve ruined your Samba experience by trying to help teach the paths and techniques of proper diagnosis instead of spoon feeding answers to the same dozen issues that come back month after month.

My last five gas fills have been in five different states. See you on the road,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
. I was able to solve all the puzzles except one and that was about 18" to 48" diameter x 40' long pieces of pipe failing when put in use after they had been hauled by truck or rail even moderate distances. Any long haul truckers out there?

transit fatigue. depending on how the pipe was made (seamless/welded seam etc) would determine the failure rate to a point...but usually impurities or hard spots during manufacture were the real issue. lot's of flex when you get something longer than 10' it seems

How savage the truckers got with the straps or chains may have also played a part.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

How savage the truckers got with the straps or chains may have also played a part.
This was my thought. The short distance being the clue. If they really boom down the pipe it could distort in cross section as well as along the length. Larger tanks and cylinders I see being hauled by truck on their sides often have armatures welded inside to keep them from going oblong. Jeebus, do I sound like Mr. Skeet?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

This was my thought. The short distance being the clue. If they really boom down the pipe it could distort in cross section as well as along the length. Larger tanks and cylinders I see being hauled by truck on their sides often have armatures welded inside to keep them from going oblong. Jeebus, do I sound like Mr. Skeet?

I first loads got re-torque checks after a short ride, no? But then I recall seeing loads themselves being used as trailers by strapping them to a front platform and mostly-aligned set of rear wheels with lights.

Tom, your response wasn't long enough with a works-cited section. Good adjective choice, though!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

most of us won’t ever reach the skillz level of being to diagnose by symptom because we don’t work on cars full time.

Throw in scenarios and soliciting possibilities is one of the few failings on the Samba, most of advice on these threads is wrong or at best , time wasting.

We had a guy trouble shoot ECU and ETM for three months because everyone told him the Magnetti Marelli is a POS ( it can be) when he was out of gas. He didn’t want to be bothered to check his fuel pressure because everyone knew the solution from symptom. Not.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:
yes - that electric climate control bulb in the circuit that regulates the vent windows on a summer day is really prone to problems in damp weather. That combination of humidity and heat just cooks the circuit like being in a steam bath. Speaking of steam baths - do we have any friends here who are having problems due to Michael or Florence?

My sister survived Michael fine, just a few wind gust there she lives on the main peninsula of Florida. She is something like 60' above sea level so only has the wind to worry about. Relatively new house, which so far has stood up well.

good to hear Mike. I would not have the answer on that pipe question either. Were they steel, plastic or clay, and how/where were they failing?

The pipe was steel and they had changed their way of loading the trucks and railcars, not using the wooden 4x4 spacers between the truck bed and the pipe and between each tier of pipes. The spacers apparently do more than facilitate loading and unloading but also cut down on both the abrasion the pipes receive and affect how much the pipes bend while being transported. Without the spacers there are harmonics that run back and forth through the load stressing the pipe past its limits.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

that is like needle bearings in cars transported by rail. Other examples are like the transfer case in the CJ7. Being part time, the needles sit in one spot for long periods of time. They flat spot and dig into the journal from the bounces in the road.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
OOOH, OOOH, Mr. Kotter, MR. Kotter.....remove the bulb or paint the lens black.

wait till you get the owner that shoots it out with a pellet rifle Shocked I have seen it. after reading this thread trying to fix a such miner problem there's not enough thread pages here to work out a electrical problem in a newer vw with can bus. Laughing
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
that is like needle bearings in cars transported by rail. Other examples are like the transfer case in the CJ7. Being part time, the needles sit in one spot for long periods of time. They flat spot and dig into the journal from the bounces in the road.

many years ago my dad worked for internarial harvester and they had a problem with the scouts being shipped by rail the wheel bearing were getting damaged from this my dad told me how they fixed this it had something to do with how they were loaded.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

One of the reasons that I have almost always kept the hubs locked in on my 4WD vehicles.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
SGKent wrote:

many years ago my dad worked for internarial harvester and they had a problem with the scouts being shipped by rail the wheel bearing were getting damaged from this my dad told me how they fixed this it had something to do with how they were loaded.

Are these the small trucks that use I-beams as their main frame rails? A silly thing, to have wheel bearings so fragile on a truck so rough...

Robbie
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

the contact area on a roller or needle bearing is very small. When the needle or roller sits in one spot for a very long time it deforms the needle/roller and journal. Same kind of damage on 091 transmissions that occurs from 70 - 75 mph freeway running long periods. The heat build up in 4th gear melts the plastic needle retainers so the needles stop spinning. Then they eat into the journal. You can see the needle marks in this 091 gear. The gear is trash. So is the mainshaft.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by SGKent on Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Troubleshooting is truly an art and unfortunately is so hard to do at a distance. It is hard to know for someone new what information is important to provide. When I first got my bus I had no mechanical experience and everything took forever. I remember getting really stuck trying to put the distributor cap back on. I just couldn't get one of the clips up and over the notch...just no feel for working with... things, especially if I couldn't see it; no idea how hot was hot, how tight was tight, how hard or soft to pull twist tap or hammer and often ended up either smashing something to shit or not moving it at all.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Are these the small trucks that use I-beams as their main frame rails? A silly thing, to have wheel bearings so fragile on a truck so rough...

Robbie

When they first started piggybacking semi trailers on the back of rail cars they had a major problem with bearing failure on the trailer axles. The same bearings that could do hundreds of thousands if not millions of miles on the highway died in a few tens of thousands of miles when the bearings were not allowed to spin. Nothing to do with being tough.

Not sure what they did to fix this problem on the trailers.

The same thing happens on u-joints that run totally straight verses having some bend to them at the joints so the needles move around.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

had the same problem in motorcycle swing arms that had rollers they track out from going back and forth not round and round as a roller should I machined bronze bushing no more problem how allegedly smart engineers cant work this out.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
bigbore wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Robbie

your thinking of a Ford.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
most of us won’t ever reach the skillz level of being to diagnose by symptom because we don’t work on cars full time..

my suggestion is don't work on cars full time. it sucks the soul out of you. I use to be eager to do so. now I just want to sit in a bathtub with a bottle of captain and slit my wrists.

to your point....stu had an issue with a Vanagon with a Subaru swap. he did a T belt and in the end...it jumped time....like I told him to check...but whatever...either you have "it" or you don't.

I am now working with FlexRay...that's right boys and girls...coming to a car near you. oh...and dealing with squiggly line on a scope

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

so... is handing out answers a good thing or a bad thing? depends...you assume someone wants to learn. most of the time they want the problem fixed...they don't care how they got there.

Robbie I am going to give you the best advice anyone could ever give you. what you do with it is your call. stop fucking with this junk. you're a smart guy and I mean that. if you keep going doing what you're doing you will find yourself at 40 with a bunch of your life wasted and nothing to show for it.

you have the personality for teaching and seem to enjoy it. get in with a trade school, UTI, Porter and Chester and teach an automotive course. you will find yourself at a boarded up lucky hot dog (or whatever bar you guys go to) where all the guys you use to run with are getting ready to retire while you're trying to hustle another air cooled client. they are drying up...more and more every year...

I am fortunate. I am one of the few that can say I have done over 100K/year in this trade....but that was a lifetime ago when the cards weren't stacked against you and people actually paid to repair their cars.

there is a very finite client base to do what you do. you're a smart guy...you should see that..

I can honestly say I couldn't look a young kid in the eyes and tell them this is a good trade. it isn't. your back, knees, wrists and every joint aches. I sound like fucking popping bubble wrap just typing this.

I was never pro union or pro gov't in terms of employment...but guys my age are getting close to 100k/year, paid holidays and a pension...not a bad gig for working 7 to 3. hopefully you'll figure all of this out before it's too late. maybe you're a trust fund baby...or have buckets of cash at your disposal and don't need to worry about it...I don't know. but if you are going to have to pay your own way....you'd better love that bus, cuz you may end up living in it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

ditto but in my case I never came close to 100K a year and where Iam now financially I can never retire I never gave it must thought I was doing what I wanted I was happy I just figured it would come oh to be that dumb again. say can I join the tub party skills? but I will bring my own bottle for me it Yukon jack.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 4 - newbies only! Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
say can I join the tub party skills? but I will bring my own bottle for me it Yukon jack.

we'll need a bigger tub Laughing

dealer life (if you can call it that) sucked. you made the $$ to carry all of the dead weight (guys that couldn't perform, secretaries, recon guys and anyone that had a "non productive" job...read that as someone that couldn't be billed out at 110/hr)

I about broke myself in 1/2 to make that salary. 8 to 8 most days, plus weekends. in the end when I had my epiphany it was basically like working 2 full time jobs for 13/hr. fuck that.

were I smart I would have listened to my aunt who works for the DOC. I could have been a CO and retired this year below 40 with a full ride. live and learn.....

but getting in with a fleet position for the state, local or federal level would have a cake walk looking back...new equipment every 5-8 years as the fleet got retired. woulda, coulda, shoulda....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: