Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermostat what would you do ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

Hello looking for a little input on which Thermostat to run. Seems I poked a hole in my Awesome powder-coat thermostat Crying or Very sad Probly backing over a bush or something. So now I am in the market for another. Would you run the 36hp thermostat that opens 75-80* or the fuel injected one that opens at 80-85*. both are the same price and delivery time. Previously I was using the 36hp 75-80* stat. Its in a street legal off road Baja bug with no apron.
Why did VW use a warmer thermostat for fuel injected motors ? do other cars use a warmer stat?
Motor is 2180 cc
MS3PRO running ITB algorithm
dual Idf throttle bodies
cam sync
sequential fuel/spark
stock weight fly wheel
Cb cnc los ponchito 42x35 valved heads
beehive springs
Web cam 86a cam (actually web cam reground vw blank to porsche 912 specs) thanks Dan working great
Udo Becker lifters
all hoover mods
30mm triple o-ring oil pump
Porsche piston sprayers
push rod sprayers
9.6 - 1 compression

Any thoughts or input will be appreciated
Thanks
Terry

Here is some pics for your amusement
buttoning up motor
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fitting in the car

car running great after some test and tune

the future planning I did this before tear down Replaced case, piston sprayers, pushrod sprayers 86a cam heavier fly wheel.
Going to be a higher compression- lower boost Water/meth injected air/water intercooled motor
(wow isn't that a mouthful Wink )

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

80-85*
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

X2
F.i engines generally run a little cooler. So they could use a little help keeping temps up under part load
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

a true 36hp thermostat is 65*
a 40hp-1600 non FI thermostat is 65*-70*
a Type 1 FI thermostat is 80*-85*
Type 4 is 85*-90*

there are several other temp range bellows type thermostats used on Type 3, Porsche 356/912.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

One theory is that FI came on board at about the time emissions regulations got tighter, and emissions testing included the warmup period. A thermostat with a higher rating would warm up the motor faster, which helped them pass the emission testing, since a hot engine burns gas more thoroughly.

A secondary effect is in really cold weather, to keep the engine hot for low emissions.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

You need sled tins to use a thermostat. I use EFI L Jet bug tins and made a little tab/bracket from the outer edge of the tin up to the head. An added benefit is the thermostat is protected as well as shrouded so it is bathed in air off the head so it can respond.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

This is a mexi thermostat but it works the same with a german style one.

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:

Yikes! I've never trusted those things, I saw one fail closed, something leaked out of it. Looks like you have been using it some time, so I guess...works ok? Any others out there using those successfully?

Weren't there some Brazilian or Mexican engines delivered stock without the thermostat?
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:

I did not use the mexi stat long. It worked more digitally, open or closed. Not smooth and variable like the German design. My post was to show the sled tin. It is important to have air flow controlled around the thermostat. If it just hangs out in the open like on a baja with no tin, it will stay cold and not open. That is not good. It can also be damaged like the original POST was about.
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

Hi Steve I was using sledtins and industrial tins a bush/stick must have poked in the back side, I was thinking of putting some expanded sheet metal or grate to try and keep most stuff from poking in the back side with out interrupting flow to much . Some times backing into or over stuff is unavoidable in the terian I visit hence the reason for the move to large side mirrors I would think the push rod tubes could be vulnerable as well. Thanks for your thoughts and insight
KTPhil some good info never really thought about emissions wonder if the warmer stats are a good thing from a performance point of view I live in a colder climate and often use this car during winter. I have a gas heater that when I get that installed and figured should make it more usable during nasty weather
udidwht Thank you sir for the recommendation I appricaiat that and am leaning that way
Alstrup a big thanks to you as well I regard you as one of the sharper characters around and will probly use the higher temp thermostat
hazetguy Thanks for the clarification I did not realize the type 4 has an even warmer opening temp I wonder why ? Same type of bellows as a type 1 ?
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

Are you using cool tins and sled tins?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Are you using cool tins and sled tins?

That’s what I intend to do. Is there some little mystery in airflow that I’m unaware of?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:

As has been posted many times, that design fails in the "flaps closed" position which is NOT desired! The original bellows designs fail with "flaps open" and are therefore safer.

I can't find the thread right now, but I think I saw a recent post that identified this "Mexican thermostat" as originally being intended only to operate the under-license-plate flap on late Mexican Beetles (to let more air into the engine bay), and NOT to operate the shroud flaps. However, it's been repurposed by some sellers as a flap control thermostat. Something to think about...

EDIT: Found thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=454938
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

Hello Just thought I would close this thread out. I decided to go ahead and use the type 4 temp range thermostat 85*-90*. Went Ahead and orderd it from Clark at Awesome Powder coat as my old one really seemed like a quality product and its failing was no fault of its own. Thanks Clark
jason yes i am using cool tins and a industrial/sled tin combo
Thanks for everyone's input
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

Luv that car. Did you get an initial map from someone or have a tuner set it up?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

i dont use tham, IMHO no reason for them unless your in cold weather.and then I would rather make a restrictor for the air intake not devert it from certan parts letting other portions heat and some not so much.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

Get a filtered air-box set up as well. You're doing that engine a disservice by running without filters.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

??

That's what's in the big canister with the maple leaf, looks big enough for a Cummins 12v filter.

I'm assuming you didn't look at all the pics?
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

Ha ha... Yes, run an airfilter. Don't do a disservice. Laughing

Good choice on the thermostat. There would be some morons on here saying don't run one.

It helps if you understand how the whole thermostat system works. Rolling Eyes

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat what would you do ? Reply with quote

rodeking wrote:
??

That's what's in the big canister with the maple leaf, looks big enough for a Cummins 12v filter.

I'm assuming you didn't look at all the pics?

... d'oh!
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: