Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fridge replacement: chest-style in original compartment?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Route66aJourney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Fridge replacement: chest-style in original compartment? Reply with quote

Greetings!

Looking for a EVC fridge replacement project, where a chest-style fridge like the TB51 was successfully installed in the existing Eurovan fridge compartment.
https://www.truckfridge.com/tb51/

Have heard good things about the Truckfridge chest-style models. (Thanks to Karl at Westy Ventures for the tip!) I'm still measuring, so the jury's out on whether this specific one would fit. Just curious whether anyone's done something similar.

Ideally the fridge would rest on locking, heavy duty drawer slides, to make it easy to slide out and then stow away again.
tweeter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge replacement: chest-style in original compartment? Reply with quote

No experience, but I just looked at a Cricket trailer and they seem to have good luck with the Dometic® 12V Fridge and Freezer.
Route66aJourney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge replacement: chest-style in original compartment? Reply with quote

An update!

Bought a TruckFridge TB51 chest-style fridge from Karl at Westy Ventures. Beforehand I measured the fridge compartment as thoroughly as possible given the old fridge was still in there. It was gonna be close, especially height with only 2 inches to spare.

It fits! Had a local shop do the install. They removed the original EVC Norcold fridge, installed a custom shelf on sliders, and connected the new fridge to a 12V connection. They were able to preserve the instrument panel above the old fridge. The drawer slides are RV-specific, rated for 220 pounds. Even though the fridge weighs only 46 pounds they need to support it with the slides fully extended. The shop capped the old propane line (the Norcold's Achilles heel). This is the only part I wasn't sure about DIY'ing and the van needed a few other things anyway.

When I cracked open the lid of the TB51, there was delicious cold air in there. So on fit, capacity, and cooling ability it looks like a win! Looking forward to testing it out on the next van trip...
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge replacement: chest-style in original compartment? Reply with quote

Route66aJourney wrote:
An update!

Bought a TruckFridge TB51 chest-style fridge from Karl at Westy Ventures. Beforehand I measured the fridge compartment as thoroughly as possible given the old fridge was still in there. It was gonna be close, especially height with only 2 inches to spare.

It fits! Had a local shop do the install. They removed the original EVC Norcold fridge, installed a custom shelf on sliders, and connected the new fridge to a 12V connection. They were able to preserve the instrument panel above the old fridge. The drawer slides are RV-specific, rated for 220 pounds. Even though the fridge weighs only 46 pounds they need to support it with the slides fully extended. The shop capped the old propane line (the Norcold's Achilles heel). This is the only part I wasn't sure about DIY'ing and the van needed a few other things anyway.

When I cracked open the lid of the TB51, there was delicious cold air in there. So on fit, capacity, and cooling ability it looks like a win! Looking forward to testing it out on the next van trip...

Congrats. AC hooked up also?
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Route66aJourney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge replacement: chest-style in original compartment? Reply with quote

Yep! AC and DC both. We'll see how the switching happens, when plugged in.

They installed a new 12V DC plug back there behind the fridge, that's why I mentioned it. Not sure how the old Norcold was wired to the battery. Honestly, I'm glad that thing is gone.

tl:dr The TB51 fits in the space and I'm excited to try it. Was a lot cheaper than the alternatives and I hear good things. What a game changer, not worrying about the perishable food! It's also 20 pounds lighter than the Engel (which doesn't fit in the compartment anyway).
saintjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge replacement: chest-style in original compartment? Reply with quote

Could you post a pic of the job. Would love to see it!
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge replacement: chest-style in original compartment? Reply with quote

Route66aJourney wrote:
Yep! AC and DC both. We'll see how the switching happens, when plugged in.

They installed a new 12V DC plug back there behind the fridge, that's why I mentioned it. Not sure how the old Norcold was wired to the battery. Honestly, I'm glad that thing is gone.

tl:dr The TB51 fits in the space and I'm excited to try it. Was a lot cheaper than the alternatives and I hear good things. What a game changer, not worrying about the perishable food! It's also 20 pounds lighter than the Engel (which doesn't fit in the compartment anyway).

Good to know, thanks.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Route66aJourney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge replacement: chest-style in original compartment? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Above pic is of the electrical wiring behind the fridge. Note splitter and new DC plug.
wltrmtty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge replacement: chest-style in original compartment? Reply with quote

Nice solution
lucksp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge replacement: chest-style in original compartment? Reply with quote

is that splitter a "cigarette lighter" style, coming from the AC plug?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: