Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet Reply with quote

Anyone use one? quality? On sale for 130 and is looking real tempting. I bought their solvent tank awhile back and while I dont alway use it, it sure is handy when I do
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet Reply with quote

Can't see how you can go wrong. If you use it a few times, it paid for itself.

I assume you mean this one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blast-cabinet-68893.html

Eastwoods is $370
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-abrasive-media-blast-cabinet.html

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet Reply with quote

Which one (link?), there's a few on their site.
Regardless for $130 you can't likely go too wrong, no matter what you end up with it'll need some small modifications to work exactly how you want it to, and it'll always be too small for some bigger parts.

The blast cabinet has to be the most used large tool in my shop, I couldn't do much without it, once you have the ability you'll clean some part of nearly everything you work on.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet Reply with quote

don't we have a harbor freight thread?
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet Reply with quote

I got one. Not sure which one you're looking at, but I have the bigger one that has legs, not the bench top model. I altered mine so that to put parts in I open the top instead of using the side door. I didn't use the cheap light that came with and put 2 flood lamps in it, and I made a bigger vent to allow the pressure to escape. I also made it so the media feed comes off the bottom, not the pipe just sticking into the media that comes with it, and I lowered the floor in it so I can get bigger parts in. There are numerous videos on YouTube on how to modify these.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

The blast cabinet has to be the most used large tool in my shop, I couldn't do much without it, once you have the ability you'll clean some part of nearly everything you work on.

X2

I will say this...I have a hand me down blaster...probably a bit better than the HF unit. if you go for it, SEAL EVERY JOINT with a sealer of your choice. I used 3M panel bond.

I also use a shop vac to suck out the dust. as pointed out...no matter what you buy...it will never be big enough Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet Reply with quote

I have one. Use it maybe 6-7 times a year. You will want to put a larger flood light inside so you can see better. I also run my shop vac hooked up to remove the dust as I blast. It's big enough to blast a VW header and all the engine sheet metal. Make sure you use the replacable plastic film to cover the inside of the window.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet Reply with quote

Get one or two of these to keep the dust from clogging your shop vac filters.
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/wet-...gJEQvD_BwE

But yes, there is a hf blast cabinet thread.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet Reply with quote

too small for me. I got me a huge Empire one - massive steel weighs about 500 lbs. with reclaimer filter. Very Happy

I sold my full size Eastwood to my friend w/ a VW shop and he loves it.

There is always something to beadblast when it comes to VWs. If you are engine building or restoring a car, you can bet you will need one.

A parts washer is needed also to go along with a blaster. Something to think about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
too small for me. I got me a huge Empire one - massive steel weighs about 500 lbs. with reclaimer filter. Very Happy

I sold my full size Eastwood to my friend w/ a VW shop and he loves it.

There is always something to beadblast when it comes to VWs. If you are engine building or restoring a car, you can bet you will need one.

A parts washer is needed also to go along with a blaster. Something to think about.

you must have a huge truck
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet Reply with quote

Wont fit in the Ford 350 Dually, had to use a trailer. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I have this one. Great for small parts. Marginal for type-3 heat exchangers.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Glenn wrote:

I have this one. Great for small parts. Marginal for type-3 heat exchangers.

Yes, just because it'll fit in the cabinet doesn't mean you can reach the ends and see what's going on, the cabinet should be twice the length of what you are working on at least.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet Reply with quote

thanks all for the feedback. the biggest thing I will put in there will likely be a header so it should be a good size and not take up so much room in the shop. Although I am planning to sell a car soon which opens up even more space Laughing Very Happy I wonder how an LED light strip on each end would work? the flying sand may not take to kindly to the little lights though. mods if you see fit feel free to lock this one down and I'll refer to the harbor freight thread from now on
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet Reply with quote

I've been eyeing LED's for the dark areas in my cabinet as well, maybe glue a little glass over them to prolong their life?, either way they are rather cheap so if you have to swap them out every ~10-20 hours blast time it's not a big deal. I'm thinking a ring surrounding the window inside since that's where I'm looking from, maybe a few down in front of my belly as well.

Count on poorly cleaned areas on the extreme outer edges of that header, once you get it in there you'll find out why a cabinet is never really as big as you'd like it to be. I'm not saying it won't work, but the outer extremities will be a PITA to get as clean as the parts in the middle you can see easily, spend extra time on them.

Слава Україні!
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight SandBlast Cabinet Reply with quote

If the dust recovery is weak, you can have 10 floodlights in there and you wont be able to see what you are blasting.

The key is a good recovery. My Empire has this huge snail electric pump...kind of like the ones used for drying floors but flatter.

And the reclaimer is the size of most people's blasters.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: