Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is high idle bad?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamin12369
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Is high idle bad? Reply with quote

I have my idle set at ~1000rpm, With A/C on it drops to ~800. Is there any reason I should readjust for cooler weather when not using A/C?
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Is high idle bad? Reply with quote

A high idle is annoying is it not? It's definitely wasteful on fuel. Factory cars with carbs came with a solenoid to raise the idle when the A/C was used so I would do the same.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is high idle bad? Reply with quote

more wear on motor and transmission,, more fuel consumption adjust it correctly.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Is high idle bad? Reply with quote

jamin12369 wrote:
I have my idle set at ~1000rpm, With A/C on it drops to ~800. Is there any reason I should readjust for cooler weather when not using A/C?

1. I never re-set the idle for "winter" on my 1970 VW that had dealer-added AC. But I live in Arizona and our winter is very short, like from 1 day to 2 months, the remainder being summer.

2. I also have a 1988 Mazda truck with aftermarket Weber carb and AC. I leave its idle at about 950 rpm year round, as there's no idle up with that aftermarket carb (there was one on the uber-comlicated factory carb though).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is high idle bad? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
more wear on motor and transmission,, more fuel consumption adjust it correctly.

Bug On!

I don't see any way that it would add wear to the transmission. I also doubt that it would add wear to the engine as well. In fact I believe that in some engines, it might even be beneficial. Faster ideal = more oil flow through the engine. If it runs good and doesn't bother you, I'd leave it alone.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Is high idle bad? Reply with quote

It's bad for fuel economy, but good for the engine.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Is high idle bad? Reply with quote

Most idle settings were based in emissions regulatory la la land. Hot oil pressure increases with more cooling air at a fast idle soooo....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is high idle bad? Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

Bug On!

I don't see any way that it would add wear to the transmission. I also doubt that it would add wear to the engine as well. In fact I believe that in some engines, it might even be beneficial. Faster ideal = more oil flow through the engine. If it runs good and doesn't bother you, I'd leave it alone.

High idle will cause more wear on the synchronizer mechanism, particularly in first gear. You have stationary parts and spinning parts come together, and when the speed difference is higher, more wear occurs.

I had a defect on my Bug that caused high idle, it made shifting difficult. Got it fixed.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is high idle bad? Reply with quote

If you had your idle at 1500, then yeah, that excessive. 1000 is just a little higher than factory. I set a lot of cars at 900-950.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is high idle bad? Reply with quote

Aside from the shifting issue which isn’t an issue if your clutch release system is 100%, a high idle can be frustrating when using any distributor with advance weights. (Aka anything except for an SVA/SVSA “vacuum only” distributor.) Mechanical advance weights can give you early advance with a slightly high RPM and truck your engine into a positive feedback loop of faster idle speeds.

Regardless of your chosen idle, it should be enough to give you 4psi of idle oil pressure MINIMUM on a worn out engine. Newer engines should show more due to tighter clearances. Most tachometers are only accurate +/- 100 RPM anyway, and at that point a high-end tach would be money down the drain compared to a nice road trip before you indict and engine for a rebuild.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is high idle bad? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Aside from the shifting issue which isn’t an issue if your clutch release system is 100%, a high idle can be frustrating when using any distributor with advance weights. (Aka anything except for an SVA/SVSA “vacuum only” distributor.) Mechanical advance weights can give you early advance with a slightly high RPM and truck your engine into a positive feedback loop of faster idle speeds.

Regardless of your chosen idle, it should be enough to give you 4psi of idle oil pressure MINIMUM on a worn out engine. Newer engines should show more due to tighter clearances. Most tachometers are only accurate +/- 100 RPM anyway, and at that point a high-end tach would be money down the drain compared to a nice road trip before you indict and engine for a rebuild.

Robbie

Even with a decent clutch, the issue remains of shifting at higher speed..

Bug On!

Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is high idle bad? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Bug On!

You shift at a higher speed in every other gear once your moving. I think 950rpm has always sounded best to me. It’s also. I’ve to have a higher idle when you get off the highway after a longer run and you come to a stoplight or such.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is high idle bad? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

I don't get what you are trying to say. Unless your clutch is dragging, a couple hundred RPMs is not going to hurt the syncros. Also, while driving, and shifting gears, we don't allow the engine to drop down to idle speeds, because then you have fallen out of the torque curve of the engine. Then you end up with lugging and bucking which IS hard on the engine. if you were talking about a crash box (non-synchromesh transmission), then engine speed in relation to vehicle movement is critical (like driving home with a broken clutch cable). Aside from that, the transmission doesn't care about a couple of hundred +/- RPMs.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is high idle bad? Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

I don't get what you are trying to say. Unless your clutch is dragging, a couple hundred RPMs is not going to hurt the syncros. Also, while driving, and shifting gears, we don't allow the engine to drop down to idle speeds, because then you have fallen out of the torque curve of the engine. Then you end up with lugging and bucking which IS hard on the engine. if you were talking about a crash box (non-synchromesh transmission), then engine speed in relation to vehicle movement is critical (like driving home with a broken clutch cable). Aside from that, the transmission doesn't care about a couple of hundred +/- RPMs.

I agree. Plus a couple hundred RPM isn't going to cause that much wear on anything. I like my idle above 1000 to give better oiling as was stated several times above. I also have a crank trigger so I can idle wherever I want. People with distributors may have a little more trouble with the collateral changes involved (i.e. advancing too soon)

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: