Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

I don't drive my bug as often as I used to and have some issues with richness and backfires.

Getting ready for winter sleep for my bug. Been doing that for years now.

Just wondering do you guys only do a small rebuild like just the float area or complete rebuilds.

My Dell 36's are from the 80 in one of my 914's did many float area clean ups and check levels but only 1 total rebuild.

Accell pump and float needles have been problems. Going to check my float levels for richness and also the float valve.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

I would always recommend a complete restoration for some that old...

The minimum would be a tear-down excluding the throttle shafts, parts wash fluid bath, de-grease and ultra sonic clean over and over with hot water until the last water change runs clean and clear.

Pull the bearing seals and re-lube.

Re-assemble with European kits.

Set the floats on the low side of the tolerance, as they tend to bend slightly over time... until eventually they are at or above the high side of the tolerance or over... This is do to vibration, bumps, jostling... On a Baja or Sandrail, expect this to happen at an accelerated rate.

After that, I always recommend a yearly change of accel pump diaphragms... At least remove them and clean that area behind them... This pump fuel with alcohol and a lot of moisture tends to gather iron deposits in the casting behind the diaphragm.

I have seen them go for years without service and there is red iron powder packed in there taking up 50% of the area... When you pick it out, wire brush it, and eventually media blast it clean... Worm holes in the casting as that contamination will eventually eat the carbs.

Always use High quality filters both Air and fuel. Occasionally treat your fuel tank with a gas drier to try to control the moisture in it to some degree.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

/\ what Joe said.
The pump gets packed full of deposits, and when the spring starts to rust it gets bad fast. You'll find it gums up the bore under the pump check weights also. New fuel is hard on the diaphragms also..
I just did the dell 36s on my 65 bus. They had been going strong for 7 years and then suddenly started running rough. One spring was just about rusted through. The pump diaphragms were really stiff. No need to break them completely down, just all the brass and screws and give everything a thorough cleaning will do. Careful to not use too much pressure, I imagine the lead plugs that loosen and cause the dell drip don't need 100psi behind them.
SD
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

I rebuilt a set of a 48 tri-jets about 6 months ago. It was really just a take apart, quick clean up and replace the o-rings and pump diaphragms. That is typically all you need to do but if your accelerator pump spring is rusty replace it and if your needle and seat is worn or sticky, replace them. Over the years, the quality of the replacements needle and seats vary so if I have an original to work with of a reasonable size and not too worn out I will reuse them.

I always check that each barrel flows the same as well and adjust them if required before I re-install them and verify they don't have any leaking internal passages where they shouldn't and the ones that should be clear are still clear.

Good luck, this is something you can do. In the off chance that you find a severely bent throttle shaft or internal leak there are plenty of people on this board that can help you.

Jeremy
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

If you are looking to see if you have set a record.....I think maybe.
I haven't ever gone more than about 6 years. It's not that they can't go farther but rather that's as long as until I change my mind and try something different.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
I don't drive my bug as often as I used to and have some issues with richness and backfires.

Curious. When you start the engine cold. Does it run real rough?
Then once you get it running and driving. Do the carbs act like they are out of sync? You know, stumbling when cruising, when you apply a little input to the fun pedal. The engine hesitates before picking up RPM.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

well, it's going to be like the ball joints.
he's going to think about replacing the floats and needle and seat assemblies for a few years before actually doing it Laughing Razz
just poking fun.
If that's your only problem then it's good life

how old are your rubber fuel lines?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild

I've had a single Weber 40DCNF on my 1835cc DP engine since back in 1976. The carb has NEVER been removed from the intake manifold in all that time. I did replace the accelerator pump once due to a leak there, easy.

I've had a Weber 32/36 DGEV on my Mazda B2200 truck since late 2005, never have had that one apart either.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

I have had a set of 44 HPMX on my 2084 for at least 12 years now, only thing I can remember doing is removing crap out of idle jets a couple of times and a few minor tweaks on adjusting screws...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

After 12 years i just send my IDAs out to Blackline Racing for a rebuild.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

Damn you Cusser, I thought I was going to make the book or records, but you had come up with 1976, ha! Kidding, actually I found the instructions from when I bought my Dells from Claude's Buggies with the date of 1984. Farmersville, Ca.

Modok, you know me well-- The ball joints.

Type 5 Joe, yipe, sound like my float are beat car is extremely rich which that alone can cause a backfire.

I had a 1956 Buick special and a friend told me how to cause a backfire. While driving the car shut the engine then wait a few seconds for the gas to get into the cylinder then turn it back on.-- Boom.

Too rich mixture alone can cause a backfire.

Mine is not on decel it is between it is that dead spot between changing gears.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
Damn you Cusser, I thought I was going to make the book or records, but you had come up with 1976, ha! Kidding, actually I found the instructions from when I bought my Dells from Claude's Buggies with the date of 1984. Farmersville, Ca.

Claude's is where my Weber 40DCNF kit came from. I also purchased a German 009, Thunderbird quiet exhaust, and 92mm pistons/cylinders from them then to build my 1835cc engine.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

j-dub wrote:

I always check that each barrel flows the same as well and adjust them if required before I re-install them and verify they don't have any leaking internal passages where they shouldn't and the ones that should be clear are still clear.

Jeremy

I'm curious as to how you check them for flow. Is there a special apparatus of some sort? I've rebuilt mine a number of times but I've never been confident enough to pull the throttle shafts and bearings. When I discovered a sticky shaft I sent them out but the guy I sent them to doesn't/can't test for flow.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

If I rebuild them I use (4) cans of carb cleaner and (2) rebuild kits. That's it.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

If I rebuild them I use (4) cans of carb cleaner and (2) rebuild kits. That's it. Last rebuild was ~ March 2012. With IDF's it's rare to have to replace the floats (black ones) mine have been in them since 1988.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires

Last edited by udidwht on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

Cusser, yep, Claudes was the place to go.

To make my ball joint friend smile , Modok smile, I ordered rebuild kits, new plugs, and tomorrow, float needles shoot off valves and accel pump springs and diaphragms.

Already removed down to the carb cover ready to remove the screws to the carb tops when the parts arrive.

I have to do a bit of surgery because I am not removing the carbs from the car.

So Modok expect me to report back in a month,
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

Laughing
I'm helping your motivation!

You might also weight the floats on a small gram scale, if you have one. Everybody in colorado does of course. Wink

I don't actually remember, but usually most types of carb, they mark how many grams the float should weigh right on it.
If they are lighter or heavier than that then you know somethings up. I'm not big on fixing what isn't broke but you have to think those things have been soaking in ..... every blend of poison they put in gas for decades, so if they have survived just fine, it's freakin amazing!
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

Damn, yesterday I was at a garage sale and the guy had a small gram scale. What the heck, grass well be legal soon, ha. I didn't buy it...

Ok but, you are saying the plastic could have been corroded ?
Mmmmmm, another night I am going to loses sleep.

I a shooting for something that will make my car run very rich. Floats, float shut off valves....... but the real coincidence the backfiring happened right after I adjusted the valves.

Yes It was really rich before, double checked the valves all are at .006.

The car is powerful, fast, just backfires before I put the car in 1,2 or 3 gear and then step on the gas. Between disengage and engage. The twilight zone. I think I am so rich ( not money ) that as soon as the gas gets into the headers it ignites.
Does not happen when the engine is cold, only after a few minutes of warm up.
Most of the time little blips but one in awhile as my said when she was following me, Big blast and flames out both pipes.

Close your eyes and think of big flames coming out the two pipes. Ommmm!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:

I have to do a bit of surgery because I am not removing the carbs from the car.

this is like trying to sew a hole in your sock without taking your shoe off.
It's 8 nuts and two hose clamps, make it easier on yourself and take them off.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

Yesterday I took the IDAs off my 74. Forgot how hard it is to access some of the nuts. Maybe lost some blood and certainly some skin removing them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: