Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$27 Vanagon Cover
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: $27 Vanagon Cover Reply with quote

I am looking for suggestions on an inexpensive but custom fit cover for a Westy. I need to replace one of the more expensive custom fit covers that I have had for 4 years.

I am now thinking inexpensive is better. They get dirty on the inside with age and from putting it on the van when the van isn't perfectly clean. So a cheap one that only last a couple years doesn't seem like a bad option. There doesn't seem to be any way to clean them like in a washing machine and use fabric softener pads in a dryer so over time they seem to not do asa good a job protecting the paint.

What I liked about the more expensive one was the fit. It looks like a fitted shirt. I don't care if it has mirror pockets, I can fold the mirrors back but a good fit is important.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited by davevickery on Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

Subscribed. I'm looking for much the same thing as Dave describes. I plan to use a tarp this winter for the first time but a quality tarp of this size is $50 and has some risks to the finish, plus discourages quick removal for a spontaneous midwinter drive. Thanks.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

What do you consider "inexpensive"?
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

This may or may not fit your billing of inexpensive, but for $200 this cover - http://www.busdepot.com/j39910 - has worked really well for our westy so far. It’s going on it’s second winter year in the Seattle area and no, rips, tears, scuffing or anything so far. Spent two months in the baking heat direct sun of SoCal this summer saving our dash/paint/upholstery - too little time for a difinitive on sun damage but no disernable effect so far.

Fits well and snug with our awning (no rack) and has two side to side underbody straps and one front to back underbody strap, can access both front doors and slider w/o removing the tarp and seems to shed water pretty well yet breath ok (we leave the skylight open a bit). Having no indoor or under hard cover storage available to us this has worked well.

If I spend $100 a year on protection it’s worth it to me and so far I’m betting it’ll make it three at least. I do wish they print a beat up Chevy van on it tho....still pretty obvious what’s under it Wink

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

It looks like the tailored fit is what ups the price. The vendor offerings seem to start at around $200 and go up from there. I'm still looking but I may go in this direction. https://www.ebay.com/itm/400985570047

And it isn't about being cheap. My last one was a multi-layer tailored fit for maybe $240. I think I might like thinner material as I take it off and then you need a place to put it. It is scrunches up more, all the better. And the thicker the longer it takes to dry and I usually have it stuffed into my car's trunk and put away wet. And they do get dirty (I live on a busy road for one, and park under a cottonwood tree for another) and sometimes I put it on when the van isn't super clean adding more grit to the underside. And when you take it off or put it on, a lot of times part of it falls on the ground gathering up more dirt.
So 10 of these for the price of my last one means I could swap it out every 4 months and still be ahead of the game.

Last edited by davevickery on Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

Well I'll be a guinea pig for one of these. I bought a different one but same company, $27 shipped.

The trick on these is finding ones that are shaped and sized right for the vanagon. The one I ordered says it also fits the Astrovan which is pretty close is size.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. I actually need a few of these so it will be great to get some input. I got a costco cover a couple years ago. Its holding up physically but some part is breaking down such that the car is covered with a dust that clings to the car with static cling. So I have to wash the car anyway! Arg.

Edit: Sorry that wasn't clear. Some part of the fabric is breaking down such that each time I pull the cover off, the car is covered with a talcum powder like dust from the cover itself. So the car looks like it was parked in a dust storm when you remove the cover.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Alluvial Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

I have the same one that Alaskaberrys mentioned and I've had it for nearly 3 years; however, it has started to rip and deteriorate. It's time for a replacement. I love being able to unzip to get into the van without removing it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

This is the one I ordered, solar tech reflective max. I'll post a pic of it on the van next week.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't expect much at $27.

BTW, I don't think you need a zipper. Even on my tight custom fit one that I'm replacing, I can lift up one corner and lay it over the mirror and that gives me plenty of room to climb in and out of the sliding door. If I need to get in the front door, I lift it up high enough to get it over the door instead of the mirror. I'm sure it is simpler with a zipper, but I have never taken the cover off just to get in the van.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
This may or may not fit your billing of inexpensive, but for $200 this cover - http://www.busdepot.com/j39910 - has worked really well for our westy so far.

AWESOME. glad to read another recommendation for something on my short. your environments are way beyond what it will see here in the Mid-Atlantic. should last 3 times as long!

BiWerks Design, LLC
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
Alaskaberrys wrote:
This may or may not fit your billing of inexpensive, but for $200 this cover - http://www.busdepot.com/j39910 - has worked really well for our westy so far.

AWESOME. glad to read another recommendation for something on my short. your environments are way beyond what it will see here in the Mid-Atlantic. should last 3 times as long!

I dunno about your environment being any friendlier - you guys have been getting slammed!

We left our van on the northrim of the Grand Canyon for two weeks - at Marble Canyon - and they talked me out of using it there. They said they’ve had windows blown out from wind and it was sure to be gone when I got back. It did get windy - dust in everything through our barely cracked sliding window. I wish I’d tested it out now. Fits tight enough I don’t see it letting go even if a strap broke.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

you may want to consider a way to deter rodents... because dark and cozy in there with the cover on.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

If any one is interested I have a Busdepot cover that has been used for less than 30 days although it is about 5 or 6 years old. Our HOA does not allow their use. Any way $100 plus actual shipping, located in Sacramento. It fits a Westy.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

On Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Custom-fit-Outdoor-Cover-Ca...dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Camper-Voyager-Outdoor-fitt...+van+cover

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Car-Cover-1973-1979...+van+cover

https://www.amazon.com/Cover-Zone-Breathable-Autom...+van+cover

davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

OK, folks so what do you think? Ha ha. I thought about buying the other one too with the normal car cover fabric, but I thought this might be good for the Colorado sun.

Is this a complete bust, or acceptable.

It doesn't look as much like a weather balloon in real life. It feels something like a single layer tent fly material. It could fit a little better, it might need the string or bungees to hold it down for wind as it isn't quite long enough to wrap all the way around. This is the 16 foot version btw.

It was $27 shipped though. And ebay gave me $5 credit because it was a day late on shipping.
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

Looks tough to beat for $27 which I would guess to be a shorter term use item. I can't imagine this holding up for longer term duty use. Keep us posted if it sheds any of its backing on the van. It looks like it could be secured to the jack points. Thanks for the pictures.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

Possibly in the dryest possible climates it would be better than nothing. If it rains and and moisture gets inside and the material doesn't breathe, trapping the condensation on the van body would be worse than having no cover at all.

Last edited by Busdepot on Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

also a cover that's intention is inside storage as a dust cover will most likely chaff off paint when subjected to anything higher than a stiff breeze...
it has no inside soft material.

IMO this is a you get what you pay for scenario.. it'll keep bird poop off the van for ~30days. see my sig below.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

Funny responses.

It is that silver color because it is designed to refelect sunlight. So yes it is designed for outdoor use.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Vanagon Cover? Reply with quote

For us Tintops, is your girl a Westy, and is there any kind of rack or awning on there?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: