Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

I have found a van I am interested in but I'm in Vancouver and it is in Manitoba 2500km away. Nice van but needs brakes, so I am thinking renting a tow truck. . .
. . .but I have no idea where to look for this >>>
>>> anyone have some recommendations and or experience with self-towing vans long distances?

Thanks!
Ed
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

I just brought my hightop home to Kelowna from Jasper.
Used my Ram 1500 and a flat deck trailer.
No issues, well once actually got it on the trailer…
Wink
There’s a thread here if you want the gory details

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

Uhaul car hauler Plus 10ft box truck is 75 dollars plus 99 cents a mile usd. So that would be like $1600. Most regular car rental companies wont let you tow with their vehicles.

A shipping company for a vehicle for that distance can range from 600 to 1400 depending on how lucky you get with timing but they will add a fee for an inoperable van. If it can get on a trailer under it's own power that is a plus.

I used uship a few times with other vehicles. But be warned a lot of emails, texts and calls from companies.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

aha... I never considered actually paying a company to deliver it > I guess I figure that would be more costly - unless by train or something. The van does currently drive well.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

For THAT much money, I’d pay a shop to repair the brakes. Or most likely, I would understand whats needing attention and bring tools n parts. Whats up with the brakes? Merely “needs new brakes” may just be an inspection saying “the brake pads are getting low” which is a so what moment. So whats the deal with the brakes that you would contemplate so much money to move it?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

I just did a 600 mile tow with my touareg. 3 to 400 shy of max capacity. I was looking for a truck rental to use on a uhaul car hauler but its really hard go find. You need to know a friend or family that has a truck. Penske will only let you use a car hauler if you rent their box truck.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
So whats the deal with the brakes that you would contemplate so much money to move it?

Brakes I can do easily anywhere (new rotors, drums > he says)...
No, for sure I won't pay that much money... only in an absolute emergency.

My fear, rather, is a more serious mechanical complication. I get the feeling from the seller that it is all in good shape - running well, but this van has NOT been on any long long trips in a long long time... I guess I could just take it REALLY REALLY easy and slowly (I'd have to anyway with a 1,6D NA LOL]... but the problem is that I am only in Canada for another month - so if I got stuck, I could risk missing my flight back to Europe and have a big headache on my hands.

So long story short, I'm just afraid of a serious breakdown (engine, clutch, tranny, who knows?) en route, which would greatly complicate things.

Otherwise I love the van, it is just what I am looking for....

Other than that there is an attractive offer a bit closer - in southern Oregon, but that one might be too rusty.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

Ed, this is an adventure. Have fun with it. Go out and get that bus and repair the brakes there then start driving home. If you break down then rent a uhaul to tow it home.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Ed, this is an adventure. Have fun with it. Go out and get that bus and repair the brakes there then start driving home. If you break down then rent a uhaul to tow it home.

Yeah, I was thinking something like the same... CAA gives 150 miles free towing... then in worst case tow it home the rest of the way.

There is a fine line between "living an exciting life *on the edge*" >>> and "not getting into stressful situations unnecessarily".

But bottom line is that I am not going to find a rust free van in BC for less than a Gold Mine.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

Agree w above. Bring penetrating oil, spray whatever you mightneed to loosen and take off.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Agree w above. Bring penetrating oil, spray whatever you mightneed to loosen and take off.

I do appreciate the encouragement Smile ...although I have no tools here [but obviously I gotta buy some when I get a van...]

Other thing is my Brother is visiting from Nov. 7 - 11 [and I fly away on Nov 16]... this would give me 3.5 weeks from right now to pull it off > actually that would be enough....
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

for little money, you could fly out with loaded front calipers which include pads and swap those out for worst case scenario locked up calipers. the rotors can wait. if the rears allow the wheel to turn, call it good. if the rears are locked up, you can usually free them by driving forward and reverse and going on tar instead of grass or gravel. paying a shop to repair the brakes before you embark is good advice.

carry the right size wrenches, some brake fluid, and i think you'll be okay if you can find out EXACTLY what is wrong with the brakes.

that said, driving an unknown, new van 2500km you MUST be prepared for the unexpected. travel with a full tool bag. this is a rescue mission, not a cake-walk.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

Twice I have flown 1600 miles to drive a new to me Vanagon home. If the owner could drive it 50 miles around town then I just needed to do that 32 times and I am home. Made it home both times but I may be lucky. I did take it real easy.

Do not over think things. You have CAA. You can rent a tow vehicle. IMO you do not need a full tool box since your bail out plan is a tow
not a lengthly repair. Buy a basic tool kit at a Canadian tire in the city where the bus is. That should be fine. Silicone rescue tape for a coolant hose bust. Some oil. The brake caliper idea is a very good one.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

I'm in Namaimo BC and my van was in Cranbrook BC, so about 1000km one way. It cost me approx $700 CDN to get it. I had previously seen the van (maybe the most important part) on my move out west and turned right around to get it.

I got a diesel F250 powerstroke from Budget that came with unlimited mileage and a receiver (I had to provide my own tongue and ball) for $175ish/day CDN - my CC covered the insurance. Uhaul was I think $55 CDN or so.

The rest was gas. I drove through the night no stops, so only had to pay for the 1 day of rentals. If you need 3 days to do it, it's easily going to cost you double or triple what it cost me. If your CC doesn't cover the insurance, that adds up too.

If you're going to do it this way, I'd consider a towbar instead of the trailer as you really have to drop it off where you pick it up and towing the unloaded trailer all the way there through the mountains adds alot of gas.

Either way you're going to have to also consider the weather and the mountains. If you fly out and drive it back and hit bad weather with the wrong tires, you'll be in trouble. I think there's also some routes they don't let you on without full winters. I beat the bad mountain weather by a hair November 8th that year, but they're saying an early winter around here (think Alberta is already getting hit)

For what you're going to pay to get it back without flying out and fixing/driving it back yourself(my vote)...I think I'd pay someone to deliver it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

...anyway, to be honest, I get the impression that the seller is not very motivated. He even said he doesn't care if he sells it or not, and he is not responding to my requests for more detailed fotos and info.... so there is no way I'm going to Manitoba unless I know exactly what's going on....
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

5000 km is 50 hours driving minimum. Could be double that in winter.

Time alone makes that a shipper call, like Rory says.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Twice I have flown 1600 miles to drive a new to me Vanagon home. If the owner could drive it 50 miles around town then I just needed to do that 32 times and I am home. Made it home both times but I may be lucky. I did take it real easy.

LOL this killed me. Most positive thinking ever.

I too flew in and drove home 700 miles. Picked up a fire extinguisher, coolant, and oil before I left. No issues until my first trip out when I got home. That drive really shook all the gremlins loose. It was in pretty good condition. Not sure if would have done the same if there were some mechanical issues to deal with.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

I have a car and a vanagon to move from one place to another about 1000 miles apart, soon... and consider towing too... then I came across this post...

after a while I think towing vs driving a car or van depends on these:
- road worthiness of the van/car (If I drive it)
- renting the car hauler/trailer.
- renting a pickup truck to tow (a don't have a vehicle strong enough to tow)

with that in mind I start to chicken out... Very Happy

may be best is ship them out for almost the same price...
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:

may be best is ship them out for almost the same price...

Does anyone know the prices of hiring a shipping company. I guess we could get specific here. One Vanagon from Winnipeg to Vancouver? Which companies do this?
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Renting 3.5 ton truck for towing long distance in Canada: ADVICE Reply with quote

Have you tried uship? Not sure if they cater to canada
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: