Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My air-cooled to 1.8t build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Here's another picture you find useful, it shows AEB serpentine belt for turning only the alternator, you may be able to zoom in and see what the part number is of that belt.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Here's another picture you find useful, it shows AEB serpentine belt for turning only the alternator, you may be able to zoom in and see what the part number is of that belt.

It looks like that is a newer style 1.8t (possibly AWM) with an internal water pump. I still need to be able to drive my external water pump, so the setup in the photo you posted won't work for me.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

indeed that's the later style

here's a great build (into a VW Rabbit) that shows the AEB Alt/Water pump only arrangement.

you have to modify the former belt driven fan mount.

this guy ended up with a 40x5rib belt
but iirc, I think mine is a 39.5x5 but what's a 1/2 right.

https://boostedrabbit.wordpress.com/page/2/
specifically https://boostedrabbit.wordpress.com/2010/08/01/serpentine-belt-setup/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Oooopsy, you're right. Here's an AEB with only the coolant pump and the alternator being turned...

But, don't route yours like this or the coolant pump will spin the wrong way, do it the way Dan has shown.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Great information, thanks guys! I was aware of being able to use the VR6 water pump pulley, but wasn't sure what to do about the old belt driven fan clutch pulley situation. It seems as though he just took that big alternator/power steering/fan clutch bracket off the engine and cut off all the stuff he didn't need.

Also noted the belt lengths used.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:

...... Also, did you space the transmission mount down at all? I've noticed others have done so and I'm not quite certain the pros/cons in doing so. Is it necessary in order to prevent too much of the engine sticking up above the deck lid?

This may not be relevant but if you're doing a 50º swap with the diesel Vanagon oil pan and plan to lower the engine at all......

On my 1988 Vanagon, I lowered the pulley end of my 50º ABA to allow the engine to clear the engine cover. [edit: That end of the engine may now be] lower than the stock diesel. IIRC the diesel tranny nose sits higher than the WBX or air cooled tranny which in turn lowers the engine at an angle. As such, this may not be a potential issue, but since I did not lower the WBX tranny nose, I'm curious if while climbing a steep grade with an engine low on oil, is there any real risk of the oil pump sucking air.

Neil.

My measurement methods were a little crude but these images give an idea of how much I lowered the pulley end of engine. AFAIK, OC of the air cooled crank pulley nut would be in a similar location. WBX Engine mounts were new at time of measurement.

stock diesel engine/tranny position

where my ABA crank is relative to old green tape mark. You can kind of see the tape

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

I plan on running the AEB at 15* with this setup. But good info, non-the-less
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

^^

Cool.

You will enjoy having less of a bump in the engine cover. My ABA 15º engine cover has a ~ 4" tub. Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Minor progress...got a bunch of new parts/gaskets/seals for the engine. Figure now is the time to do the work, when the engine is out and easy to work on!

Silicone crankcase breather lines to replace the crumbling original ones, courtesy of 034 Motorsports.

Aluminum coolant flange, replacing the often faulty plastic units

Also took this time to pull apart and rebuild the alternator.

Original brushes on top, new ones on bottom

Also, my clutch, flywheel, and adapter plate have all arrived from KEP! (sorry, no pictures of it at this time)
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Does anyone happen to have a source for the pinouts of the 5 colored engine harness-to-body plugs? I've found several different wiring diagrams for the engine harness and interior harness, but have been unable to find a diagram that specifically identifies all of the wiring within these 5 colored connectors.

I want to verify which wires are needed/not needed so I can trim away unnecessary wiring. The engine is from a '99 Passat AEB.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

check this
http://www.taligentx.com/files/Passat-AEB_ECU_Wiring_Diagram.pdf

there is a chart out there I'll search for.
edit, here https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/701050-audi-aeb-ecu-pinout

there's also some in Chris T3 technique 1.8T build thread iirc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

here book mark and read Chris' 1.8T build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=378731&highlight=1.8t

note that there is a change in the Waterpump for the early passat 1.8T
you need to use a water pump from a 2.0l ABA jetta/golf.

conversation in Chris' other thread here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538069&highlight=1.8t
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Thanks Dan!

I've already read through all of Chris's 1.8t threads and saw his wiring diagrams. I also already have a copy of that engine wiring diagram you have referenced. I was more hoping to find a diagram or pin-out specifically of the body connectors, as opposed to the ECU connectors.

I don't think that diagram exists though lol. I just have to search through the other existing diagrams and piece it together myself.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

it's been a while for my swap, but shouldn't that be the connector column in the chart?

plus it's good to have these cross referenced for future 1.8T swap searches.
more bread crumbs more successes.
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
it's been a while for my swap, but shouldn't that be the connector column in the chart?

plus it's good to have these cross referenced for future 1.8T swap searches.
more bread crumbs more successes.

Yes that chart has several of the main necessary pins needed for the swap, but doesn’t not list every single wire within those connectors. That’s what I was looking for.

Anyway, no big deal. Just wanted to check if maybe I missed an OE diagram somewhere along the lines.

My engine is currently mostly stripped down to bare cylinder head and block. It’s getting a thorough cleaning and then I’ll be reinstalling all the accessories, along with new gaskets/seals. It’s getting harder to work in my unheated/uninsulated garage though lol. And it’s not even winter yet.....I need a better space heater.

Last edited by revolution337 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Saw your comment on the space heater, and thought I would share my experience heating garages in frozen spaces. My experience is with uninsulated 2 car garages in both in Chicago and in Southern Indiana, both frozen wastelands when it comes to working in the garage in winter. No 110 volt space heater will put out enough heat to really change the situation. As they are limited to 1500 watts of power consumed, they are just to small.Since they consume 1500 watts of power, almost 15 amps at 110 volts, you can't use more than one per 20 amp circuit safely. So using a bunch of then is not safe unless you have that same number of 20 anp circuits.
For years I used a Ready heater 35,000 BTU kerosene torpedo heater, and it took the edge off, but you had to keep the garage door open to allow it to vent, somewhat negating the effect in really cold weather.
About 10 years ago, I installed a 100,000 BTU furnace dedicated for the garage. When it is 20 degrees out, the furnace will heat the garage to 65-70 degrees, running efffectively full time. I only heat the garage when I an working out there to not spend too much on natural gas. It cannot heat it any hotter than 70 degrees.
The takeaway from this is, in my now non frozen opinion, is to use something that can add enough heat to counteract the heat loss, Uninsulated, no ceiling garage? You need more than little electric heaters to even take the chill off.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Ooo now we're talking garage heaters,
I have a large barn that's impracticable to heat all the air in, as it leaks out as fast as you heat it (convection ya know).
I use 2 radiant tank top propane heaters. one on each side of me and my work area.. the radiant is unaffected by air loss and heats the area/objects I am working on.
I do this effectively with 2x 15k btu of propane, they can go higher but to not much increase in comfort.
it does help that I have 4 20# propane bottles to make swapping out easier.
I get many many days of work per tank on the lower BTU. it's the red/infrared light that's heating ya.
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

All I have right now is an electric infrared heater hanging directly above where I do most of my work. It's enough to keep the edge off, so long as you don't move more than 5 feet away from underneath it.

I've also had some decent luck with a Big Buddy propane heater. Again, only when working within the same small vicinity though.
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

More engine parts removed and cleaned...

Also modified the giant alternator/PS/fan clutch bracket so that I am able to run the VR6 water pump pulley without any issues. I do not currently have (or plan to add) power steering or A/C, so the belt will only be driving the water pump and alternator.

How it started

Halfway through cutting...

All finished cutting, photo shows the two pieces I removed from the bracket. I kept most of the unit, as it has mounting bolts for the water pump. The bracket also has a threaded hole that is used for a support rod for the intake manifold. I was able to retain both of these functions while eliminating the fan clutch hub and power steering bracket.

When I first picked up the Passat, I noticed a rattle on decal coming from the turbo area. I assumed it was from the waste gate flapper, and I was correct. It is very loose, and actually is starting to form a crack around its start. Also found several other cracks in the turbine housing. Looks like its time for a new turbo!

Now for questions. I am thinking of going the route of using long marine grade rubber hose for the coolant lines up to the radiator. My question for those who have done so, is there a particular size that fits best? I'm having the best luck locating 1.25" hose. I'm unable to find the O.D. measurements of the hose though, so I can't say if the two hoses will be able to fit through the holes in the van crossmember. Can anyone chime in with their experience?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: