Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My air-cooled to 1.8t build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
simd0ggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Looks like you have one with a resistor. So that means a small amount of current will be flowing ALL THE TIME. Not usually good, unless your supply switches off with the key. Resistor type is not polarity sensitive.

A relay with a diode is better - it will have the surge suppression, will not allow current to pass all the time, but it will be polarity sensitive. So positive must be connected to 86 and neg to 85.

Think of the diode as a check valve, allowing current to flow in one direction. When you apply power to 85, the coil energizes. When you turn the power to 85 off, the coil de-energizes, and the current spike from the coil just goes round and round through the diode and dissipates as heat.

Here's a website that explains the differences. https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

simd0ggie wrote:
Looks like you have one with a resistor. So that means a small amount of current will be flowing ALL THE TIME. Not usually good, unless your supply switches off with the key. Resistor type is not polarity sensitive.

A relay with a diode is better - it will have the surge suppression, will not allow current to pass all the time, but it will be polarity sensitive. So positive must be connected to 86 and neg to 85.

Here's a website that explains the differences. https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html

I just pmailed the OP with my thoughts on relays et al. Not to side track too much and I hope i dont confuse this topic but.....

Does the supression device on 85 86 circuit of relay do anything to prevent any potential surge back (voltage spike) to the component controlled on 30 87 circuit? Eg ECU?

Ive been using resistor supression type relays on my aba engine swaps (and im nearly certain the wbx 53 relays use same; im using those on my latest swap) for some miles wo any *known* or pending long term wear issues at components like

Edit: or does the supression device prevent any energy created by switch coil that might migrate through (inductance?) to the swirch contacts thus keep that from potentially harming a component like an ecu?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
simd0ggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Any time you have a sensitive output device (ex: ECU) driving the relay coil, you should have a diode for surge suppression to protect the output device, in my opinion. However - you have to be careful when you do your wiring - if you get it backwards the diode will act like a direct short.

And to answer your question, NO, it has nothing to do with 30 and 87

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

simd0ggie wrote:
Any time you have a sensitive output device (ex: ECU) driving the relay coil, you should have a diode for surge suppression to protect the output device, in my opinion. However - you have to be careful when you do your wiring - if you get it backwards the diode will act like a direct short.

And to answer your question, NO, it has nothing to do with 30 and 87

AH..... Yes yes yes. Ok. I get it. <palm to forehead> Wink eg since the ecu switches the fuel pump relay on-off with a switched ground, a voltage spike in the 85, 86 circuit of the fuel pump relay its connected to, might damage the ecu.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
simd0ggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Here's the deal. You cannot change the current through a coil instantaneously. When the circuit opens, the voltage will spike to infinity to try and cross the infinite resistance of the open circuit. (This is how your ignition works). So when the circuit opens the coil tries to keep flowing current, so it just goes round and round back through the diode, coil, diode, coil, until it's dissipated - rather than jumping (arcing) across the output device (Ex: ECU).

revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

simd0ggie wrote:
Any time you have a sensitive output device (ex: ECU) driving the relay coil, you should have a diode for surge suppression to protect the output device, in my opinion.

You have a good point, and I understand where your logic is coming from, but I am still planning on going forward with using the OE resistor suppression style relay. Mostly because this is exactly the type of relay that VW originally used in the Passat.

Here is a photo of the OE "fuel pump" relay from the Passat. I have "fuel pump" in quotations because it actually powered several other accessories other than just the fuel pump. It was in charge of sending power to the fuel pump, injectors, leak detection pump, N75, N80, both 02s, and MAF. Its control coil circuit was provided direct switched 12v from the ignition switch, and was grounded by the ECU. You can see from the diagram on the relay that it uses a resistor for EMF suppression, not a diode. I feel like if VW thought that this was sufficient and used it in millions of production vehicles, then it will also be ok in my setup.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Oh boy where does the time go. Hard to believe its been almost a year since I have updated with this thread. Unfortunately, sometimes life gets in the way of personal projects like this. With the recent COVID-19 situation progressing in the world, I, like many others, have found some extra free time due to quarantining.

So updates since my last post (lots-o-pictures)

Finished up the wiring harness to mate the engine to the van chassis. All is needs once its in the van in switched 12v, constant 12v, and a ground.

Test fitting the harness and ECU into my custom ECU box Laughing This box will sit under the reach bench seat, I am hoping my measurements are correct and that the OE harness has enough length to reach this location.

I ran a multi stranded wire from the cluster area to reach bench seat, to use a signal wire for the OBD plug, as well as the CEL signal. Also, I wired in the OBD plug near the front lower fuse panel.

Got my new VANAGONLIFE locking center console installed, complete with battery kill switch.

Ran heater and coolant lines to front radiator and heater switch. Used some custom 1.25" to 1.5" stainless adapters to mate up the hoses.

Trimmed and smoothed transmission input shaft

Started work on engine air filter box and mounting. Its OE box and filter from a Cobra Mustang, mounted behind the left rear tail light area.

I had to make a mount for the new fuel pump, as well as the fuel filter. Simple pieces made of out flat aluminum bar. Also, I was in need of a band mount for the fuel pump. Turns out the band for the original ignition coil is a perfect fit for the fuel pump as well, so I used that!

Finally, just today I was able to mock the engine and harness up to a 12v battery and test if my harness would work. Everything checked out great! When powered up in the "key on" position, the fuel pump primed for a few seconds then shut off, just as it should. Also everything else was getting the proper voltage signals, and I could hear the throttle performing its calibration as well.

Hopefully it won't be much longer until I can get the drivetrain into the van!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Nice to see the progress and work!

Did you have someone make the stainless transition pipes for hoses? Or is that something one can get at a jegs or whatever?

Nice looking shielded multi wire cable.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Nice to see the progress and work!

Did you have someone make the stainless transition pipes for hoses? Or is that something one can get at a jegs or whatever?

Nice looking shielded multi wire cable.

Neil.

It was ordered online from a company based in Washington state. I believe its called "filler neck supply". Their website is currently down, due to the COVID-19 lock down of the state.

https://www.fillernecksupply.com

They specialize in connections and parts for external fuel tanks, pipes, and hoses etc. But the adapters they sell happen to be perfect for my needs as well.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

https://www.fillernecksupply.com

They specialize in connections and parts for external fuel tanks, pipes, and hoses etc. But the adapters they sell happen to be perfect for my needs as well.

Nice find. Resourceful!

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

As I get ready to marry the drivetrain to the van, I have a few questions for anyone who has done this AEB swap. I have browsed through almost all of the 1.8t related threads I could find on the Samba and noted a few differences between how people when about mounting the engine.

I have noticed that most people are saying that the engine sticks up about 1.5 inches above the deck lid level, so the use of a raised deck lid is necessary. But I have come across a few people who have stated that they were able to fit the engine underneath the factory deck lid, even when mounted at 15 degrees.

example of 15 degree mounting underneath decklid:

example of raised deck lid, again at 15 degrees:

Can anyone elaborate on why/how people seem to be able to do both? Is one better than the other? Does one put more stress or angles on CV joints or shifter mechanism? Ground clearance issues? Maybe it's something obvious that I am missing. Is it as simple as spacing down the front transmission mount and engine bar until the entire package sits below deck lid level?

I would like to have a solid game plan for how I am going to make my engine support bar before I get that point.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Is it possible some of the AEB swaps you see are installed in a Syncro which might allow for engine to be lower in engine bay?

FWIW, on my 1988 ABA swap, I set the engine lower down than most would've and did so only at the engine supports. Shifter works ok but unless you swapped to the WBX tranny, maybe that info isn't relevant. Still, I'd think there's some leeway on the air cooled linkage.

On a related note, one thing I could've done better: align drivetrain ("center" it) so that both driveshafts have similar amounts of L/R play. i.e. my passenger side driveshaft feels awfully close to the plastic disc at tranny output flange.

Neil.

I'd suggest taking this with a "grain of salt" in terms of measurements, but here's where my WBX engine crank centre was. This was with new engine mounts.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Neil,

I am unsure whether or not any of the vans were syncros or 2WD. My though was that even if it was a 2WD, I could just properly space down the trans mount and engine mustache bar to properly get the engine package to fit below the deck lid. The only thing I’m unsure of if why some people are doing it one way, and some are doing it another.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:
Neil,

I am unsure whether or not any of the vans were syncros or 2WD. My though was that even if it was a 2WD, I could just properly space down the trans mount and engine mustache bar to properly get the engine package to fit below the deck lid. The only thing I’m unsure of if why some people are doing it one way, and some are doing it another.

As a guess, I'd think ground clearance is the main reason.

One possible advantage to the air cooled tranny position is that IF you lowered the drivetrain then decided to raise it up, depending on exhaust design, muffler choice etc. raising the engine may not be a big deal as it would be with a WBX tranny position. (further rearward).

Comments in this air cooled to ABA swap regarding lowering engine and tranny by equal amounts may help?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8037228&highlight=may+help+vibration.#8037228

Hopefully my logic isn't backwards but since the air cooled transaxle shift rod has the main bushing further forward above the fuel tank, the angle imparted at rod to bushing may not become so bad that it causes too much friction at that point. IF that were even a point of concern.

IIRC, the diesel Vanagon and air cooled use the same "cup ball" parts at the shifter at tranny. And IIRC, the front mount at diesel tranny sets it at a different height than the air cooled. So, those "cup ball" parts may be able to handle having the shift rod at a different angle or height.

On my 1981 15º ABA with air cooled tranny, linkage (van was air cooled), I recall asking if lowering engine would adversely affect the linkage. General consensus was "no".

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

If it's a syncro I put them in under the stock engine lid, if it's a 2wd I use a 2 inch spacer to raise the engine lid. As Neil has stated, it's mostly to keep a good amount of ground clearance without raising the van up. Just depends on what you want to do. I believe you are correct in that you will need to do some customizing of the transmission mount and/or shifter if you try to keep it under the stock decklid.
The one air-cooled to 1.8t I did I extended the shift rod and trans mount to bring it toward the rear of the van so it sat where the water cooled vans did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
If it's a syncro I put them in under the stock engine lid, if it's a 2wd I use a 2 inch spacer to raise the engine lid.

Raise lid example here" https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9234957
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

In this pic you can see that I lowered and shifted the trans mount backwards in order to mount my ALH below the lid. Since I'm using an aircooled DK trans, you can also see the mods I made to the shift rod.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Casey: did you use some kind of pad between tranny mount and frame to help isolate engine noise?

@ revolution337

for point of reference, the engine on my 15º swap is set close to the same height as the air cooled was. That and the horrid looking under oil pan carrier limit ground clearance by 2-3". Regardless, I've gone into lots of camp spots via dirt road w/o any real issue. Yes I've bounced that carrier off some rocks, dirt etc but basically, the lost ground clearance has not been a "show stopper". But on some dirt roads, I have to pick my lines really carefully which sometime means driving so that 2 tires are close to or at the hump in road, if present. Not always ideal though.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
IIRC, the diesel Vanagon and air cooled use the same "cup ball" parts at the shifter at tranny. And IIRC, the front mount at diesel tranny sets it at a different height than the air cooled. So, those "cup ball" parts may be able to handle having the shift rod at a different angle or height.

I ran into this a few years ago when we were doing the aircooled->watercooled swap on kubelwagen's '81 Adventurewagen a couple years ago.

The diesel mount bracket that bolts to the transaxle raises the nose of the tranny and tilts the pulley end of the engine downward in the process. The "ball" is the same on the early trannys, but if you try to use the air-cooled rear linkage rod with the diesel mount .. you're gonna have a bad time. The early diesel rear rod has a different bend and offset to the transmission end, and while I can't find pictures it was really obvious when we put the air-cooled and early diesel parts side-by-side. We could have made the air-cooled part work in a pinch with the equipment we had access to, but since we already had the diesel rod in-hand we just used it.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My air-cooled to 1.8t build Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Casey: did you use some kind of pad between tranny mount and frame to help isolate engine noise?

Neil.

Hi Neil, it's just extra cutting board left over from making my spring spacers. It was to lower the trans enough for some item I've now forgotten to fit easier. My plan is to fabricate a bracket to use two trans mounts like those found on Syncros. I figure that arrangement could possibly reduce noise and vibrations better than one single mount.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: