Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
antoinemayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

I saw a DIY kit to convert a classic Beetle to electric power. I have no to little knowledge in mechanics and electronics. My Beetle is a 1969 semi-automatic 11-1500.

The kit : http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=167

As you know, automatic gearboxes are quite... unstable. Mine just broke down. Two options: spend $$$ on fixing it as automatic, spend $$ on converting it to manual or spend $$ on converting it to electric.

So there are two questions now:
1. Can you convert an automatic Beetle without a functioning gearbox to electric (or do you have to fix the gearbox first)?
2. How difficult / complex is it going to be for me to convert my 1969 VW Beetle (11-1500) to electric Power, given my lack of knowledge in the fields of mechanics and electronics?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

the problem I've read is that all of the weight of the batteries is too much for the brakes. They will need to be upgraded to at least 'good' enough.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

All of the kits I have seen use a standard VW 4 speed gearbox, and mostly use 2nd and 3rd gear for driving. A VW autostickshift transaxle uses the same gearing as the 4 speed, but leaves out 1st gear. I see no reason it couldn't work, but you may be on your own to figure out how to connect the electric motor to the autostick transmission.

Maybe call the kit vendors and ask if they have a solution to use the autostick transmission?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

$7600 and "batteries not included"....you still have to build and install your own battery system....and may have to change the trans....i think you can fix your existing problem for a lot less than that...
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

antoinemayer wrote:

As you know, automatic gearboxes are quite... unstable. Mine just broke down.

Another blanket statement that's totally untrue. Just because YOU'RE having trouble with YOUR semi-automatic transmission doesn't make them "unstable." My first one lasted 40+ years before we swapped it (and knowing what I know now it probably really only needed a simple adjustment.)

The samba seems to be full of these kinds of comments today.

My advice? Spend the $30 to get your leaky hose fixed instead of $7000 to convert your car.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor

Last edited by sb001 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
$7600 and "batteries not included"....you still have to build and install your own battery system....and may have to change the trans....i think you can fix your existing problem for a lot less than that...

THANK YOU.

WTF is wrong with people on here this fine morning

1600 SP engine
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

I don't understand this electric car conversion movement. Just look at the cost for that kit PLUS you have to buy the batteries, cables and make the battery boxes and install everything. So now you've spent well over $8,000 for a car that has a range of MAYBE 80 miles? What if you need heat? Ooops, that uses electricity and lowers your mileage range. Radio? Ooops, that uses electricity too. Lights? A/C? Wipers? Interior fan to clear the windshield? Oops, more electricity needed. Do you live in an area with hills that you have to climb? That lowers your range too. In areas that are flat and warm year round I can see this as an option, but where I live it wouldn't work.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

for that money a used prius would work and get you a better range
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

Quote:

Exactly!

The OP posed a question about converting his car to EV. Only two have even come close to making statements toward his conversion question.
All the rest of you have posted detracting statements.
It's his car. He can do what he wants to it.

While I'm not a proponent of EV conversions. I like things a little different.
The dirt bikes I raced for years. Were not main stream brands. They were off brands and I won a lot of races.
I work at an R&D facility that has more than 10K employees on campus daily.
Of all those Toyota, Honda. BMW driving folks. Only one person daily drives a classic VW beetle. Me! I like to be different.

So if the OP wants to be different than your perception of what he should drive. Let him.

To the OP, The mechanical side of the build. Shouldn't be real difficult. The electrical side of things is a whole other story. There's a very steep learning curve in getting the car wired correctly.
Can it be done? Oh hell yes. Will it be easy? Oh hell no!

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

before starting consider the full cost, and how you want to use the car with the limitations of of the battery power. Also consider the life span of the batteries, they degrade even when not in use, you may find they all need replacement in not too many years, at a great cost. If you want to save money, and/or maintain a more practical car, conversion to electric is probably not the best choice in my opinion.
But if your heart and mind is set on the conversion, please consider all the costs and downsides first, so you will not become disappointed.
I say it is a difficult and expensive to convert, it is a major job, and as stated, brakes should be upgraded even suspension spring upgrades are required to deal with many 100s of pounds of batteries. Your tires will wear faster too with the additional weight.

Bug On, With Gas or Amps!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

If you really want a challenge. Go this route.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=685542

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

Yikes, the price!

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=168

and that dont include suspension and brake upgrades.

Only 90 mile range, 8 hours to recharge. heater? Not practical for me.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Quote:

Exactly!

The OP posed a question about converting his car to EV. Only two have even come close to making statements toward his conversion question.
All the rest of you have posted detracting statements.
It's his car. He can do what he wants to it.

Good Luck.

Since you had my earlier post deleted because you don't want to hear the truth, allow me to reiterate:

Your post does not address anything regarding the cost, time, labor, or skill necessary to do this conversion. Therefore it is just as "irrelevant" if not more so than most of the posts in this thread that are favoring the opinion NOT to do it, as the overall benefit does not equal the task.

i.e. there IS a legitimate reason these posts exist: to express our opinion on the value of the conversion, whether they are valid in your opinion or not.

1600 SP engine
Cheburashka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
there IS a legitimate reason these posts exist: to express our opinion on the value of the conversion, whether they are valid in your opinion or not.

There's a not-very-fine line between expressing an opinion of the value of a conversion, and implying (pretty much directly stating) that there is "something wrong with people."

Remember the forum learning curve. There are new folks here who don't yet know that it's normal for everyone to ignore everything posted by you. Twisted Evil

OP--no matter what option, you'll end up needing a lot of mechanical knowhow and I'd imagine some fabrication skills.

Here's one that's kind of cool--transferring the drive train of a Nissan Leaf into a cut-down VW Bus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=116&v=U0If_6Z59Xo

Last edited by Cheburashka on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

To the OP - in my view you have several challenges. You mentioned that you have little or no mech/elect skills (I don't mean this badly just re-stating). In addition to the fabrication and specific EV learning curve you will also be faced with the nuts and bolts stuff required not just for this conversion but also for basic maintenance etc. Things like brakes and repairing whatever goes bump in the night.
What I'm suggesting is to carefully consider the long run and if you are up to the challenges faced. Would hate to see you get into this and get overwhelmed with the project and the car. The resources are certainly available to help you but I think this project would be done best over time and in phases. And if course the more you learn the less you have to pay someone else to do work.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

Doesnt "EVfun " and "wayne johnson" have electric vw's?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

I was under the impression that the autostick requires a vacuum source?
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
I was under the impression that the autostick requires a vacuum source?

Not all that familiar with the autostick, or electric conversions, but the one's I've seen some details on completely eliminate the clutch mechanism and directly connect the electric motor to the transmission.That would also eliminate the torque converter and all the associated components, and the transmission would operate the same as a manual transmission. The most difficult part to find would be the coupler from the motor to transmission input shaft, since this is a very uncommon configuration.

You would need a working transmission, although without knowing exactly what is wrong with the OPs transmission its hard to say if he could use his current transmission or not.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Yikes, the price!

Bug On!

Yep. $17,000 just to CONVERT to electric. That buys a lot of gas for me, but to each his own. If an electric car is the desire I feel there are options better then this.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to convert a classic Beetle to electric power? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
Yikes, the price!

Bug On!

Yep. $17,000 just to CONVERT to electric. That buys a lot of gas for me, but to each his own. If an electric car is the desire I feel there are options better then this.

The OP did also mention conversion to manual. If he just doesn't want to mess with the autostick, this would be the most cost effective solution overall.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: