Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where is this water coming from? Rust on rear cross members.
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Where is this water coming from? Rust on rear cross members. Reply with quote

It seems like the rust on my rear crossmembers gets wet when it rains, even though I haven't driven.
I have rust in the same spots on both sides. I cleaned and prepped the areas for rust bullet friday night and let dry over night. It rained over night and the areas are soaked in the morning.
It seems like this is a very common rust area in these cars. I know people say these things get beat up with rocks snow and salt, but I'm not buying that when the car hasn't moved
So, it leads me to believe that there is water coming from some and draining into/onto the rear cross members.

What are the likely places?
I tried spraying water on the back window and side window. The side window dripped down the fender and into the hole on the right.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is this water coming from? Rust on rear cross members. Reply with quote

Leaking at your warped moonroof and running downhill in the roof? Tear out your headliner/interior so you can See what is happening.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is this water coming from? Rust on rear cross members. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Leaking at your warped moonroof and running downhill in the roof? Tear out your headliner/interior so you can See what is happening.

Good memory.

there is no headliner and I was able to get the moonroof leaking down to 1 or two drops per rainstorm.

Someone suggested it might be the rear exterior vent below the rear windshield, I poured a bunch of water in there and it only soaked my motor, but didn't come out of the crossmembers. What a bad design!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is this water coming from? Rust on rear cross members. Reply with quote

Its coming from the years of wet roads and condensation seeping into the poorly rust inhibited panels that VW produced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is this water coming from? Rust on rear cross members. Reply with quote

Since all the grit and sand from the rear wheel is constantly blasting that area as it comes off the rotating wheel, coupled with the fact that the cracked undercoating is always holding moisture against the metal in that area, it really never stood a chance! I've replaced both those areas, and also the rear of the front wheel-wells that also have the same thing going on.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Where is this water coming from? Rust on rear cross members. Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Since all the grit and sand from the rear wheel is constantly blasting that area as it comes off the rotating wheel, coupled with the fact that the cracked undercoating is always holding moisture against the metal in that area, it really never stood a chance! I've replaced both those areas, and also the rear of the front wheel-wells that also have the same thing going on.

What I have come to realize is that this could be 20 years old and its really not that bad for a northeast car.
The area is still basically solid, so I'm going to do a through rust treatment and coat with rust bullet.
If it doesn't show any activity in the next 6 months I'll cover it with some glass.
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is this water coming from? Rust on rear cross members. Reply with quote

You live in New Jersey. Winter, summer, hot, cold rain, snow, salt, condensation, age. Plus the rear wheel are thowing rocks at it.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is this water coming from? Rust on rear cross members. Reply with quote

Actually, now that sealed up the rusted out ends of the panels that terminate just in front of the rear wheel there is significant less water in the car. Just a few drips from the moon roof.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: