Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 baywindow powered by something else....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Motive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

I have a 72 transporter and now that I have almost completed the brake and suspension work, my attention is turning to the engine.

These are the engines available in my garage and some thoughts behind using them. I have the harness, ecu to each of them.

Toyota 5sfe - its a camry 2.2 engine with about 90k miles. Makes around 130 horsepower, extremely reliable, extremely easy to replace with another longblock for under $500 all day.

Toyota 3sge Beams engine - Black top, rwd version from a JDM lexus r200. This engine is incredibly amazing. Well balanced, high horsepower (170ish), good torque through the entire band. I fear the ecu may be a nightmare for me. Wiring is my kryptonite. The semi drive by wire can be delted for a very easy 17$ rubber gromit.

Toyota 22r - extremely clean rebuild with a cam. Sounds great, strong torque, but heavy iron block. This was a strong truck motor for years. I ran it in a 74 celica, its a fun engine.

last- toyota 4age 20v. Its a very clean engine with about 65k. Strong torque for a 1600cc engine. I know there is a lot of people running this in dune buggy and bugs, but haven't found much on the baywindow.

I have some civic radiators and some aftermarket mr2 radiators that seem to fit nicely.

Just want to hear others opinions on which and why... I know I have been banging my head, but it would be nice to hear the communities input.

Yes, I do know there is a popular Subaru swap going around... .no, I do not want it.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

I doubt you're going to get a ton of input here, as swaps are still not super well accepted.

That said, the priority I would put on selecting and engine off the top of my head would be:

1) Reliability level/availability of parts level
2) Fit in the engine bay (I'm not a fan of big body mods)
3) Power Output

I myself did (rather, am doing) a Subaru EJ25, as it fit my needs and preferences well. I considered an inline 4 cyl VW watercooler, but the EJ beat it out in total on the items above.

Good luck!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

I think Vee Dub Nut's list is spot on.

The only other consideration I would make is familiarity with the power plant. Sounds like you have a preference for Toyota. I'm guessing you have worked on them a lot.

In regards to #1 and #2 on VDN's list, while not specifically mentioned, I'd also take into consideration serviceability. You don't want to have to drop the engine to change a spark plug for example. Rolling Eyes

I hope you share the project when you do it. I get why the Subaru boxer engine is popular, but, besides VWs, I've driven mostly Toyotas in my life. I can't recall seeing anyone put a Toyota power plant into a VW.

My 1968 Campmobile
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

I don't recall a Toyota in any bus. I think there is one Acura engine. Generally speaking the cost to do a swap is a lot more expensive than one thinks once special adapters are considered etc.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

I know absolutely nothing about engine swaps - but I seem to recall there being an issue with the output direction of the engine. In a thread of a year or so ago - someone one was discussing why some particular engine was not used in swaps and it was because it turns the wrong direction.

Would this be an issue with any the choices above?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

4 speeds in reverse and 1 forward would be fun Laughing
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:

darn you told him. Wouldn't have been more fun to see a post that reads "Why does my bus go faster in reverse... "
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:

I think your neck would get sore after a few hours Laughing

My 1968 Campmobile
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
I know absolutely nothing about engine swaps - but I seem to recall there being an issue with the output direction of the engine. In a thread of a year or so ago - someone one was discussing why some particular engine was not used in swaps and it was because it turns the wrong direction.

We got a smart guy here in NY that can make them run backwards....

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

And a smartass guy in PDX, OR who can make a couple of them run backwards too. Laughing

(couldn't have done it without the smart guy in NY paving the way)
Motive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:

All of the mentioned engines rotate in the proper direction.

Lets take the 3sge out of the list of possibilities. I had it laying in there last night and I do not feel comfortable with the space left and the accessibility.

The 4age would be the easiest to work on down the road, but the price of parts are steadly increasing and becoming harder to be had.

I am going to lift the camry engine under the bay and get a better idea of the work ahead. I know i can get a replacement jdm block for super cheap at any time, the junk yards are full of them, and parts are cheap. To be honest, I had a 5sfe that I abused and it never failed me.

I do know for a fact that the 22r engine fits with a lot of room left over. The oil pan is lower, but not too much of a concern. My main concern with this engine is the weight and the fact taht i wanted fuel injected. This is a weber carb 22r with internals and a cam.... Thinking i may want to save it for a future project.

So ya, I am a toyota guy. MR2, supra, old school celicas (75 with 1jz), 92 celica all-trac... but my last project was a cummins diesel into a 66 lincoln continental.

Thank you for the input guys.. I will start a build thread in the coming week as soon as we figure out which motor it is.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

see if you can find a Porsche with a Toyota engine. If you can then follow that trail. The 1972 bus was engineered based on the 1968 - 1971 upright VW beetle engine upgraded to the same horizontal engine used in the 914-4 and 912E at that time.

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

The first choice,130hp.
Even that is too much if you have little experience with bus steering &
suspension.
& ground clearance, I'd use the one that can have the oil pan configured/
cut down to mimic the original oil sump height as close as possible.
VW did a great job of that, no inline engine gets close in stock form.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Abscate wrote:

And a smartass guy in PDX, OR who can make a couple of them run backwards too. Laughing

(couldn't have done it without the smart guy in NY paving the way)

Shingle - completely forgot about you.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

go Subaru...depending on what you do engine wise you get 165hp out of the gate.

no matter what swap you'll need to re-gear the trans....no if's and's or but's about it...water cooled's don't like life at 4200 rpms for ever and ever

you will have zero support with a toy yo yo...tons of Subaru or 1.8T info out there. not so much with a Toyota

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Shingle - completely forgot about you

No worries, I'm not ready to hang out my shingle on that yet. And I don't exactly publicize my stuff here with build threads most of the time either.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

I doubt the site is all that helpful for this potential conversion, but I have had my head in the back of one Bus powered by a Toyota motor.

http://www.blabberon.com/rdcowdet.html

If I remember things correctly, the builder was not the current owner of Road Cow when I saw it. Not sure if Road Cow has moved on from the owner I knew or not; it was 8 or 10 years ago that I saw it.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

Interesting write up. One thing that I did see is that the flywheel gets welded up. The 2.0 flywheel that goes with the 091 transmission is cast iron. That would bother me. Maybe have to downsize in flywheels and bell housings to a forged flywheel size.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

Vanagon WBX flywheel is forged, is 228MM and has the same bolt pattern to connect to the crank...
dumptuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 baywindow powered by something else.... Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I don't recall a Toyota in any bus. I think there is one Acura engine. Generally speaking the cost to do a swap is a lot more expensive than one thinks once special adapters are considered etc.

I remember seeing pictures of a bus somewhere here on the forum with a Toyota 3TC swap, I doubt I’d be able to find them again though
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: