Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door Pillar Drain Hole
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exnermobiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Door Pillar Drain Hole Reply with quote

As we all know, the lower section of the Ghia door pillar is prone to corrosion. Now when all the sheet metal and paint work is done I realized that there are no drain holes on the cavity next to the lower door hinge. I’m afraid there will be constantly a pond of water in this area.

Would it be a good idea to drill a hole here to let the water to drain inside the rocker and again out from there? Was there originally any drainage on this area – mine had only rust…

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Pillar Drain Hole Reply with quote

I dont think there is a factory drain hole there
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Door Pillar Drain Hole Reply with quote

There is no reason why you can't put one in to prevent future problems.

I mean, it is your car...

Best,
Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Door Pillar Drain Hole Reply with quote

Hidden deep in The Samba Archives you can find the document that Volkswagen wrote BITD to help their technicians find and stop water leaks in Karmann Ghias,

Body Leaks - Karmann Ghia
Look, Listen, Do It Better Booklet No. 14

Reading that should give you a pretty good understanding of how Volkswagen envisioned the water draining from the door sill area.

Naturally you could drill an added hole in that area, but first you may want to ask yourself this question ...

"Would it be better to have any water just pool up in that area and sit on top of a painted surface until it evaporates, or to have that water drain down inside the rocker panel where it is much more likely to get trapped and promote rust?"

Just a thought.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Pillar Drain Hole Reply with quote

I agree with KGCoupe, it would be better to have it pool up and evaporate. How often will it be driven in the rain... Honestly? By the way, LOVE that color. It looks amazing. Why don't you have a build thread??
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Pillar Drain Hole Reply with quote

I have a hard time drilling holes in my Ghia for any reason. I forgave myself for my gauge mounts since the PO strapped a stereo equalizer there previously. I restored mine back in 94 and its been in the rain a lot since it was my daily driver till 2001. Don't drill it! Just wash it and love it.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Door Pillar Drain Hole Reply with quote

That is a great color! Just make sure the factory drains are clean and clear.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Exnermobiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Pillar Drain Hole Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Naturally you could drill an added hole in that area, but first you may want to ask yourself this question ...

"Would it be better to have any water just pool up in that area and sit on top of a painted surface until it evaporates, or to have that water drain down inside the rocker panel where it is much more likely to get trapped and promote rust?"

Just a thought.

Admit, you got a very good point here. Even if my rockers are now well protected from inside I cannot be sure if the water constantly sits in some corner.

After getting the extensive (and expensive) rust repairs done I have become somehow neurotic with the rust protection and inhibition...

Thank you for that article - very informative - and thank you all for your comments.

Her color is Pacificblau (L398) with Blauweiss (L289) roof - just the same as she left Osnabrück on May 1962.

udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Door Pillar Drain Hole Reply with quote

hello from Germany. very very nice ghia and great Colors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: