Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

I've been working my '74 standard for 5 years now and I'm getting to the point where I'm not enjoying it anymore. Every time I make a bit of progress it just seems like there is a thousand other things that pop up that have to be done. Worst of all is I know I've got stuff to do on it and now I'm just blowing it off because I'm not enjoying it.

I love this little car and really want to get it finished but I'm hitting a psychological road block. Has anyone else ever felt like this with their car ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

Mines more of a every time I fix something, something else breaks, but I know what you mean.
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

I felt like that when I did my 73 standard. Tried to do something on it every day, even if it was for 10 min. Took me over 4yrs, but it finally got done. Real good feeling doing the work yourself. Stick with it. It will get done.
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

I felt like that when I did my 73 standard. Tried to do something on it every day, even if it was for 10 min. Took me over 4yrs, but it finally got done. Real good feeling doing the work yourself. Stick with it. It will get done.
Black hound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

Yes been in the same place as you! I found it best to do some BIG noticeable bits for a while and get some heart in looking at it again.
Fit your headlining and Windows first, when you stand back and look at the car you will see a big step.
Fit your headlights and rings next, even if they are not wired up it will look a complete car. Inspiration will take over from there.
Ps both those cars look stunning!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

That's a great looking bug OP. I can totally understand your frustration. As others posted, keep at it and you'll be rewarded at the end.

One thing you could do is find a local VW club or group and hosting a beer/burgers/bugs day. It's incredibly encouraging seeing other bugs running around and meeting their owners.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

We’ve all been there. When things are running fine, we love the bug. When something breaks, we hate it for awhile; then we fix that issue and love it again.

The thing is, if you’re not a real mechanic, upholsterer, body man, etc., and you’re trying to do most of the work yourself, then you’re in for a frustrating time of it. Sometimes, things go well; other times, you have a hard time of it. It’s best to farm out what you can’t, or are unwilling, to do yours of.

The other thing is, these cars are quite old now. If you’re not prepared to replace almost everything that moves, then you’re not prepared for the reality of vintage car ownership.

There’s also a difference between a hobby and ownership. Anyone can own a modern car. It’s just a matter of paying for it. No hobby stuff involved. A vintage car often requires that the owner also be a hobbyist.

I’ve pretty much replaced all the moving parts on my car—those that required it, at least. There were many, and it took awhile. But if I had any hope of expecting a reasonable amount of dependability, I had to go through the car, one bit at a time.

My only gripe now is going through the expense and labor when replacing something, and the part turns out to be inferior. I shop around as best I can to keep that frustration to a minimum, though.

You’ve got to get your car to the point that you can actually get it out on the road from time to time. Then you realize a reward for your efforts. Without the fun part, the car’s really little more than a burden.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

I actually am looking forward to working on the engine and everything else that moves. So far it’s been all body work and chassis, steering, ball joints, etc etc... and on and on.

This is where I was 4 years ago
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

Feel the same way, with my 76 sedan. Sad

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

We all have a story like yours. Here's mine. This car has been a 5 year project. It was a body off restoration. First car I ever restored. First car I ever painted. First interior I ever did. Quarter panels, heater channels, death foam repairs, various other rust repairs, engine rebuild, suspension, brake lines/hoses, seats redone, headliner,.....you get the picture. I had to buy all the painting equipment and learn on the fly. I made every mistake possible. Just installed the engine today after the THIRD rebuild of it this summer. Kept wiping out the cam gear. Hopefully this crank gear solves the problem. My point is life interrupts and things won't go as planned in your restoration. When you get frustrated just walk away for a while and recharge. When you do get back into it do something where you'll SEE progress. Look at others who have restorations. That will motivate you. I've had many frustrations with my project but I keep plugging away. Eventually you'll get it done.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

I've been feeling the same way ever since mine was totaled by a drunk back in err.. um... 1999! Shocked OK, I really didn't start working on it until 2010, but still. Sometimes you just have to walk away and forget about it for a while, and get back to it when you're feeling it. As I get closer to the end, I find too that there are a thousand little things to do and get fitted right. But that's OK, it will get done when it gets done, and it will be the way I want it, and that's all that really matters in the end.

Bug on my friend! Wink

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
That's a great looking bug OP... It's incredibly encouraging seeing other bugs running around and meeting their owners.

Yep the posters on this thread sure are building some perfection!!!

I slammed mine together and threw it on the road because I want to enjoy the Wednesday night cruise, the networking, etc. I've got some other projects simmering at home that are getting my patient attention (nothing like these concourse builds, but best effort nonetheless) while I drive my rat around for summer fun. It really lets me focus on the one in the garage because I dont feel that clock ticking. I just put down the wrench, hop in the primer bombed driver and run to a cruise, or just a gallon of milk!

My thought when I look at that gorgeous red bug and think about the stress that unrelenting perfectionism can create... is to open Craigslist and blow $1,500 on a driver you can enjoy as needed while you polish that gem.

Knowing you've got that piece of red perfection on the back burner at home will allow you the quiet confidence to truly enjoy bombing around town with ratty interior and puffs of smoke in your driver. And... knowing you can put down the paint gun and take the evening off at the local cruise any time you want will allow you to fully enjoy the painstaking attention that your precious deserves without that nasty tick-tock of mortality breathing on the back of your neck.

Bug on friend!!! Beautiful color.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

I feel it every time! You are not alone. I find it helpful to create a list of those things that still need to get finished. Those things that needs to be started and also a list of parts that needs to be ordered.

After placing that order is when I feel the stress of my wife giving me shit for ordering more parts for a project that is going no where. That right there always gets my fire going. I will prove her wrong!

Get creative with inacting your motivation. Tears yourself at designated milestones. That’s how I keep it alive.

I am on my second restoration, which is currently two years in, since I recaught the “Bug”. And when I finish this one, it will be off to the next one!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement folks, i appreciate it. I think the suggestion of making visual changes is a good one. Im going to try to get the back bumper on next weekend if the weather is ok. I like the idea of just installing the lights and trim rings even if they aren’t wired in. I’ve got a basement full of new and original parts for it and it kills me to just see it sitting there.

It’s so true. You really have to earn a car like this.

bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

Frustrated? To a degree. But a little here, a little there helps.

The key I found is to get your ride moving, stopping, reliable and drive it! Otherwise you'll never enjoy it (life IS too short).

For that reason, I've put off the off-chassis restoration. I'm having way too much fun bombing around in it!

Keep the faith brotha!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

74Standard - I feel your pain. I picked up a '73 project car in June and got way in over my head. That said - if the body on my looked like yours....I think I would have had it on the road already!!

Still have to replace a lot of metal in the wheel wells and fender captive bolts. It will likely sit this way until spring.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
I've been feeling the same way ever since mine was totaled by a drunk back in err.. um... 1999! Shocked OK, I really didn't start working on it until 2010, but still. Sometimes you just have to walk away and forget about it for a while, and get back to it when you're feeling it. As I get closer to the end, I find too that there are a thousand little things to do and get fitted right. But that's OK, it will get done when it gets done, and it will be the way I want it, and that's all that really matters in the end.

Bug on my friend! Wink

The paint job came out real nice. Cool

02/76 Beetle sedan
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
The key I found is to get your ride moving, stopping, reliable and drive it! Otherwise you'll never enjoy it (life IS too short).

I agree but my issue is I need to get the car through an inspection before I can get it on the road and up here one of the inspection points is a working windshield defrost which led me to do the heater channels, and once there oh well might as well do the pans, then "oh look, that's rotten too" and on and on it went. The real kicker was a month ago when I broke the new windshield puting it in and that just killed all my desire to work on it and I'm having a hard time getting motivated again.

I have a brand new motor in in parts in my basement. I thought I was going to get away with the motor for a while until I checked the end play and realized the case was finished.

You guys ever see that George Clooney movie, "The Perfect Storm" and that scene where he thinks they are safe from the storm and then the clouds close in again and he says "its not going to let us out" - that's how I feel.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

sometimes all those fiddly assembly and trim type jobs can seem never ending. have you a bug interested friend or two who could lend a hand. I've found that a weekend 'push' with another pair of hands can break you out of the doldrums and have you seeing some progress.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ever get frustrated and feel like you'll never get it finished? Reply with quote

Quit whining & start wrenching. Unless you're stroking check after check to have someone else build your car, you just gotta dig in & do something to it every day, no matter how small & the cumulative time spent will yield results.

Try not to get ahead of yourself & bolt things on to give you a false sense of achievement, unless you do it to get it driving again (You don't need the interior to drive it but you'll have to remove the glass again to install the headliner.), you're just going to spend more time taking it apart again to do it right. Once you get it driving, you can at least enjoy it as you're working on it.

Buddies or other enthusiasts wrenching on your car can get in the way & you'd be pissed if one damaged something or didn't do something to your standards.

As said previously, I tackle projects by addressing the running/driving/stopping part, then chip away at the other crap as time permits, that way I'm enjoying the car instead of letting it languish in an unfinished state (I've done that WAAAY too many times. I have driven my Ghia almost 7,000 miles since I got it road worthy & just rallycrossed it this last weekend.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: