Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GPS Speedo with VSS output
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwdufour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: GPS Speedo with VSS output Reply with quote

I have a Subaru swap and am considering switching to a GPS Speedo since mine is on the fritz and metric.

Does anyone know of a GPS Speedo that I can connect my VSS too?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: GPS Speedo with VSS output Reply with quote

That’s is a strange question: a GPS speedo assumes no need for a vehicle speed sensor (VSS). You are not likely to find a gps speedo with a VSS input. What are you trying to accomplish?

Kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dwdufour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS Speedo with VSS output Reply with quote

I have a Subaru swap. Don't I need a signal for the ECU?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS Speedo with VSS output Reply with quote

Kourt, I believe he needs to supply a VSS signal to the ECU and is looking to see if there is a GPS based system that can do that.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS Speedo with VSS output Reply with quote

A GPS works on radio waves whereas a VSS is a generated electrical voltage signal.

If it were easy to meld those two very different devices surely all the new cars would be using GPS powered VSS - but they aren't...

Its pretty simple to put a VSS generator in your speedo head or on the inboard CV joint.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS Speedo with VSS output Reply with quote

The GPS speedometer senders I'm familiar with put out 16000 pulses per mile, which would probably freak out the Suby ECU...
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS Speedo with VSS output Reply with quote

Howdy,

I think I understand your question now.

The simplest way to obtain a VSS signal is to use a sensor on a CV joint. I know not all conversions are the same, but in the Bostig conversion (for example) the VSS signal is generated by an installed flange on on inboard CV joint, with a sensor bolted to the transaxle. The sensor is used in a binary fashion: it only needs to know if there is motion or no motion. You can also use the sensor signal to drive a speedometer in an Ultragauge or similar product--and would require calibration with a GPS.

GPS speedometers are getting their speed readings from GPS receivers, and are usually manufactured in the context of either not having or not wanting a VSS in the instrument cluster, but I admit I would also be interested in a GPS speedo that passed configurable VSS signals for ECU or cruise control use.

If your Subaru conversion needs a VSS, see this Youtube video about a poor man's VSS for a Subaru conversion.

At first I thought you might need a VSS for cruise control functions. Dakota Digital makes a device that dumps speedo and tach signals from OBD, which might be useful. I have Speedhut gauges, including a GPS speedometer, and so I have to use a device like this to serve data to my aftermarket cruise control computer, as I no longer have a mechanical speedometer cable.

I hope this helps.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dwdufour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS Speedo with VSS output Reply with quote

Beautiful. Thank you.
kublerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS Speedo with VSS output Reply with quote

There are GPS devices that turn a cable at a configurable rate to operate vintage speedometers. I saw them a time or two at the vintage car swap meet in Portland but know nothing else beyond their existence. Something like this link: https://www.speedhut.com/ecommerce/product/2585/SPEEDBOX™-GPS-VSS-to-Mechanical-Drive-Speed-Converter
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: GPS Speedo with VSS output Reply with quote

kublerwagen wrote:
There are GPS devices that turn a cable at a configurable rate to operate vintage speedometers. I saw them a time or two at the vintage car swap meet in Portland but know nothing else beyond their existence. Something like this link: https://www.speedhut.com/ecommerce/product/2585/SPEEDBOX™-GPS-VSS-to-Mechanical-Drive-Speed-Converter

Those are for Ford, GM and Chrysler vehicles only - and $345.00.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: