Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Red5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

I mounted the distributor that came with my motor today and noticed a problem:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now, this motor came to me in pieces, so I'm not sure if I'm missing some additional parts to this puzzle. The stud is obviously not long enough to allow the distributor to be bolted to the block. Is the solution just to find a longer stud, or am I missing something for the distributor?

I believe the distributor is one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-H4-1954-79-Rac...1940315820

From what I've read on other posts, this is a crappy knock-off of an MSD model. I do not have the ignition module that is required to run this thing. Would my best bet be to get a decent distributor/ignition setup and forget trying to piece this thing back together? Thanks again.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

Megajolt EDIS distrubitorless and don’t look back
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

Round file that thing.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

X2 on you found a great door stop. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

What do you want for $62.22?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

Does the distributor even engage the drive shaft? Looks like a clamp made for something else.

Original distributors are the best if running original carbs.
Red5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

OK, sounds like I'm in the market for a new distributor. The Megajolt option sounds amazing, but a little too pricey at this point. I guess a 009 purchase is in my future. Cool
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

Red5 wrote:
I guess a 009 purchase is in my future. Cool

going from one mistake to another.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

Red5 wrote:
OK, sounds like I'm in the market for a new distributor. The Megajolt option sounds amazing, but a little too pricey at this point. I guess a 009 purchase is in my future. Cool

Don’t

If you need cheap go down to Oriellies or Autozone and buy a VW10 for around $130

It’s a knockoff of a much better than Bosch Nippon Denso unit from the 80’s It comes with its own low resistance dry coil and best of all carries a lifetime warranty with an actual place to return it in the event of a failure (try that with any other VW distrubitor)

Any more expensive than that and you should just spring for the $200 Megajolt box and junkyard source the rest of the system
Red5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

Good to know. The 009 comment was just because it seemed to be the default distributor people went for. Until last night, I didn't know I was going to need to get another distributor, so I have done zero research. Any idea what the Megajolt system might roughly cost in total if sourcing used parts?
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

Red5 wrote:
Good to know. The 009 comment was just because it seemed to be the default distributor people went for. Until last night, I didn't know I was going to need to get another distributor, so I have done zero research. Any idea what the Megajolt system might roughly cost in total if sourcing used parts?

Assuming you have a laptop and can make some brackets I did both mine for under $300 total.

A neon coil and 3.8 caravan wires make for a super slick install
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This wheel is cheap and really easy to mount

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F271248393018
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

What carb (s) do you plan on running? You want to match the induction to the spark for best overall performance.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
What carb (s) do you plan on running? You want to match the induction to the spark for best overall performance.

With a distrubitor sure. This doesn’t apply to a digitally controlled ignition. You simply match your spark map to what you are accomplishing
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

You are just missing the short spacer nut/stud piece that should have come with it.

A longer stud and a correct length spacer sleeve will will also work.

For the ign. module you might look into a standard Chevy HEI ign. module. Maybe post a pic of the inside of this thing? I think those were built by Speedmaster? when they were still in bizness. They imported tons of super cheap engine parts, had some lawsuit issues, and now they have a different name.

I think you will also need something similar to a MSD box to make it run.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

With a distrubitor sure. This doesn’t apply to a digitally controlled ignition. You simply match your spark map to what you are accomplishing

The OP said digital wasn't an option right now.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

You can run just about any CDI box out there off that distributor. The CDI box has its own coil driver, so you can quickly be up and running. Yes you need a longer stud and a spacer to bolt it down.

Asking which distributor is right for you is like asking what oil is best to use.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Asking which distributor is right for you is like asking what oil is best to use.

Easy... clean oil.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

Look at the picture: There's a separate ring below the clamp.

Remove that lower ring on your distributor shaft. It's locked with a set screw. Loosen the set screw, remove that ring, and that will allow you to drop the clamp down. Your stud needs to be longer anyway though. Either back-out that one, or replace it with a longer stud. It should have come with a spacer that goes in-between the bracket and the base of the crankcase. If you don't have it, improvise with a stack of washers or whatever.

Most billet clamps touch down on the case without a spacer, but I think this is a universal domestic clamp.
Red5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Remove that lower ring on your distributor shaft. It's locked with a set screw. Loosen the set screw, remove that ring, and that will allow you to drop the clamp down. Your stud needs to be longer anyway though. Either back-out that one, or replace it with a longer stud.

Ha! That worked! Sort of. Even with the ring off, the stud is still too short for the bracket. The stud also seems none too eager to be backed out of its home. I think I'm done fiddling around with this distributor. I do appreciate all the suggestions and information.

I'm still intrigued by Krochus's MegaJolt suggestion. I said initially that sort of system was not viable for me. I assumed a set up like that would be $500+ once it gets put together. But for around $300, I'm definitely going to take a hard look at the distributor-less options Smile
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ditch the generic aftermarket distributor? Reply with quote

Brian e is correct. You are simply missing the longer stud and spacer. I run the MSD 8485 Type 1 distributor, from which this one seems to have been copied!

Check page 6: https://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/100/121/121-8485.pdf

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: