Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is that noise?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: What is that noise? Reply with quote

Well I have a puzzle. When I drive my 86 Vanagon camper over small bumps (like the reflectors on highway divider lines) I hear a high pitched screech from the divers side front. This does NOT happen if I drive over bumps on the passenger side, or big speed bumps. Sometimes I think it is metal on metal, but that is not so certain. Brakes and steering work well. Removed the bumper but no change.

I went under it today and looked for any bolt or body part that was a) loose or showed evidence of scratching around and b) was different on the driver side vs the passenger side. I see nothing. The spare tire holder is bolted down and very secure, and the gas tank seems stable. I cannot reproduce it by jumping up and down on the car moving it up and down pretty vigorously. It seems that an "acute" bump at 20 mpg is what causes it. It is both annoying and also makes me worry.

I wonder if anyone has has=d a similar experience and can point me in a directions.

steve
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: what is that noise Reply with quote

Are both brake caliper bolts there and tight?

DAVE

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: what is that noise Reply with quote

I am new to Vanagons. Can you show me a pic of what you are referring to?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: what is that noise Reply with quote

I don't have a photo handy, but if you remove tgevwheel and look on the inside of the caliper are two bolts, one top..... one bottom.
If these are loose or missing all sorts of horrible noises will occur whike driving,

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: what is that noise Reply with quote

Here's a caliper. Yours wont be so clean but should be obvious after wheel is removed. red item in bottom pic. Aslo you tube has lots of brake videos.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&a...2773676718

CAUTION:
please place blocks before and after wheels and support van well before climbing under. There are videos on that too. see here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J95rF3XWhxg
& here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkKGbFaE0NA

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: what is that noise Reply with quote

I think that the caliper is in snug, as are the 2 bolts. Although, is that gap supposed to be there? I see it on both bolts - a gap between the nut and the rubber.

I have also now removed the spare tire holder, and checked all the bolts that hold down the radiator.

Any more ideas? This thing is driving me crazy.

steve

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: what is that noise Reply with quote

check your tire tread ,something metallic stuck in here Question

it only happens when you go over something small in ht. only at 20 mph.

only one side?

you haven't visited Canada this week Confused have you Confused:maybe you should Idea
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: what is that noise Reply with quote

yes only driver's side, and at about 10-20 mph, small bumps. At 5 mph over a speed bump - nothing.

steve
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: what is that noise Reply with quote

Things I would look at

Check the play or run out of the left side wheel bearings/hub-
Make sure there is no excessive wobble there. With the wheel installed, try moving it in and out at the 12 and 6 o’clock position with your hands, van jacked up like you show in your pictures
Use your ‘quiet’ passenger side hub as a baseline to compare side to side.
Make sure the drivers backing plate isn’t making contact with the rotor or that a stone hasn’t gotten lodged between the backing plate and the rotor.
Spray the upper control arm bushings with silicone spray lubricant and make sure the bolt for it is tight as well.
Take the Van for a drive and report back..... Popcorn
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: what is that noise Reply with quote

How are your sway bar links?
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: what is that noise Reply with quote

I don’t see jack stands in your pictures.

Don’t go under a car on a jack, EVER. In the 200 milliseconds it takes you to react to the fall, the car finishes it’s descent

The gap on the bolt with the rubber accordion is fine, those are the caliper slide bolts. You need to check the caliper mount bolts which are more towards the center of the wheel on the inside.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: what is that noise Reply with quote

Just to clarify, when a car goes over small bumps and produces a noise associated with the actual bump action of the car structure, it would commonly be a sound of two parts briefly sliding against one another. I'd refer to that as a "chirp" or "squeak" - a short lived instant noise.

I think you're steering folks into the wrong area with the word screech which is normally a longer sustained noise and that would/could be associated with a distressed bearing or something else that lasts long after the bumps are gone.

So are you indeed talking about a long sustained screech? Or no.

The chirp/squeak will be hard to find but the good news is it's likely nonessential. Something like the washer fluid reservoir bouncing, a dry shock seal, or lower suspension arm bushing, or as you searched - a loose radiator shifting from the flexing. Are you sure it's outside the vehicle or could it be behind the dash?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: what is that noise Reply with quote

I had something similar on the passenger side. It was driving me crazy. Believe it or not, it ended up being the dome light switch. I opened the passenger door, put a small amount of lubricant on the switch plunger and it’s been fine ever since.

Also check if your speedometer cable is rubbing on the control arm.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: