Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

Hijack...

When using original seats and material... I always add a layer of burlap sack or vinyl (or both) between the springs and coconut fibers (it's not horse hair) .

This helps keep the fibers trapped in the proper area rather than being sliced up by the springs and distributed in the floor and under the seats.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

Something I do for batteries that dont have the positive terminal cover is make a wrap around cover out of some ABS plastic that I have laying around. It encloses the terminal and is held on with zip ties. Works better than the margarine lids that I see duct taped on some cars LOL
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

The group 96R which fits the mustang and has more cranking amps, is a good alternative if you cant find a 42
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

zuk wrote:
The group 96R which fits the mustang and has more cranking amps, is a good alternative if you cant find a 42

That is what I got today. Costco has Interstate 96R batteries for $99. Same dimensions as Group 42, same location for terminals and 550 CCA.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Batteries cost a fortune these days. Something like 85% of the batteries sold in USA are made by Johnson Controls.

I use the 42 battery from Autozone.

VERY important to secure the battery to the pan, to preserve lifetime of the battery.

Since this post in 2018, I have adapted my opinion. Due to battery costs.

Alternate battery sizes batteries instead of Group 42: 96R and 47/H5 even have recessed terminals, which is a bonus on our cars (96R includes a cover as well) 24F is said to work but I have no first-hand experience with those.

I now have 26R from Walmart in my 1970, more CCA than the Group 42 too. And less expensive.

Whatever battery you choose: Make sure battery is secured to the pan, and that there is insulation between positive terminal and the rear seat, just so a passenger doesn't press the seat down far enough to short out the battery.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

I posted earlier in this subject (above) that a group 58 battery would fit. I meant a group 58R battery.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
Combi Cat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

60BeetleBill wrote:
I don't know if it would prevent battery shorting, but to prevent "horse-hair precipitation" I've gone and sprayed rubberized undercoating on the underside of my bugs' back seats. It is to seal in the padding, but you can't do it without coating the metal springs as well.

The hair collecting under the back seat drives me crazy also. To remedy this I've taken an old sheet and hot glue gunned it to the bottom side and trimmed the excess. You can't see it at all when the seat bottom is installed. Works great![/quote]

Good thinking! But is the fabric an additional fire hazard should there be a spark?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

60BeetleBill wrote:
"horse-hair precipitation"

FYI that is not hair, but instead coconut coir. A spray can of upholstery glue would probably do a better job.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

Installed a Diehard 26R-2. Advanced Auto $110, one year free replacement warrantee.
200 A fuse to ground on the left and 40 A fuse on the right.
Cranking current is 100 A. With a self-supporting starter, 16300.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

I'm thinking a Group 75 battery might be persuaded to fit without much trouble.

It has side posts only that would avoid most seat spring issues and it is only a 1/8" wider.

I'm sure some folks here must be running these, or even the longer Group 78.
Jade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

I needed a battery for my '66 bus recently and couldn't find anything cheaper than $190, ouch.

I went with a Napa brand BCI no. 35 for $130. The width and depth is the same, but the height is a little more no problem on a bus though.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BAT6535?bvnotifica.../269099294
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject: 12 Volt Battery Other Than BCI Group 42? Reply with quote

What a great thread .

I wish they'd make a dedicated 6 volt VW AGM battery, I like to use the stock battery cover and hold down .

For those who have old Beetles with random batteries, the simple solution is a beefy rubber floor mat ~ you pinch it between the lower rear seat cushion and the metal bar that holds the seat cushion in place, it'll never allow the seat springs to touch the battery no matter how fat your passengers are .

Nice to see the numerous different BCI numbers that can be used in a pinch .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JZ8G00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

Just replaced my 11 year old Group 42 with a Group 96R from WalMart, perfect fit and at $107 very affordable.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

Rule of thumb for the most powerful batteries...size matters
VW Wiring = It's just wires
1967VWS4LIFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

I use a group 90 (T5) battery for my 67 which originally comes in Ford Fusions, and it works flawlessly. Also got some battery terminal covers from Amazon which takes care of any possible contact with the seat springs. A top post is always better than a side post battery and a 90 group has more CCA than a 96R or a 42.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: