Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signal indicators. Are they rgt & lft
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Turn signal indicators. Are they rgt & lft Reply with quote

OK, probably a stupid question and I will find out the answer one day. I have never driven a bus. Had a couple bugs in the 80's and currently have a 75 915.

The bugs and the 75 914 have a single turn signal indicator. I back dated my 914 gauge to a silver dot from a 72 914 and they have individual blinker lights. I like the look of the silver dot, plus the 75 mph gauge was 150 and the silver dot is 120. Never gonna drive that fast.... Very Happy

I had to rewire the blinkers thru the hazard switch to work separately. I need to find my drawing on that.

I took out the gauges of my 72 bus this weekend and noticed that it has separate rgt & lft indicators but there is a single Blue/Red wire feeding both bulbs.

So can the blinker stalk make them work individually? Not an electrician but know enough to be dangerous (and ask stupid questions).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal indicators. Are they rgt & lft Reply with quote

No.

Both indicator bulbs blink together. They are for all purposes the same as the single indicator bulb in a Beetle but for some reason VW decided to use two bulbs in a Bus.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal indicators. Are they rgt & lft Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type2.php
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal indicators. Are they rgt & lft Reply with quote

It is my understanding that VW went with a right and a left bulb when they designed the dash but never upgraded the wiring to match. It would be easy enough to do I would think, just tie into the wiring for the front turn signal bulbs.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal indicators. Are they rgt & lft Reply with quote

It would be doable but a little more involved than just connecting to the front turn signal wiring.

The turn signal indicator is kind of a weird reverse-polarity thing. The indicator bulbs are powered all the time the ignition is on via the same internal bus that powers the other warning light bulbs.

They get ground from the flasher relay intermittently as the turn signals flash, so they flash opposite from the external bulbs. When the external bulbs are lit, the indicator is off and vice versa.

If you just removed the wires to the indicator bulbs and connected them up to the front turn signal bulb, you'd basically have 12v to both sides of the bulbs (1 steady 12v source and one intermittent source) and no ground path - so the indicator bulbs either may not flash at all or may try to ground through the other warning lights making your oil/gen lights flash and your fuel gauge swing around. Could be interesting. Very Happy
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal indicators. Are they rgt & lft Reply with quote

Someone on here a long time ago published a schematic on building a small black box to get separate lights. Could not find it on a quick search.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal indicators. Are they rgt & lft Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
It is my understanding that VW went with a right and a left bulb when they designed the dash but never upgraded the wiring to match. It would be easy enough to do I would think, just tie into the wiring for the front turn signal bulbs.

I have a drawing somewhere that I used to set up my 75 914. Once I find it I will post it here. It was not difficult to figure out, but there are quite a few wires, and IIRC you have to make a mini-harness. I'll find it. I know it is on 914world.com, but my search is not pulling it up.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal indicators. Are they rgt & lft Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
It would be doable but a little more involved than just connecting to the front turn signal wiring.

The turn signal indicator is kind of a weird reverse-polarity thing. The indicator bulbs are powered all the time the ignition is on via the same internal bus that powers the other warning light bulbs.

They get ground from the flasher relay intermittently as the turn signals flash, so they flash opposite from the external bulbs. When the external bulbs are lit, the indicator is off and vice versa.

If you just eliminate the wires to the indicator bulbs and connected them up to the front turn signal bulb, you'd basically have 12v to both sides of the bulbs (1 steady 12v source and one intermittent source) and no ground path - so the indicator bulbs either may not flash at all or may try to ground through the other warning lights making your oil/gen lights flash and your fuel gauge swing around. Could be interesting. Very Happy

Separate the ground side of the turn indicator lights from the emergency circuit and tie them into the wires supplying the turn signal bulbs, done. They will flash alternately to the bulbs. Maybe there is something I don't under stand about this circuit, but it seems simple enough. I really doubt that the minor current draw of the indicator bulbs is important to the operation of the emergency flasher as the circuit alternately has power or a low impedance ground through the filaments of the four turn signal bulbs.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal indicators. Are they rgt & lft Reply with quote

The easiest way to blink the indicators individually is to use (small) 12 volt relays. Wire one end of a relay coil to each front turn lamp. Ground the other end of each coil. Use the relay contacts to ground the terminal on the dash indicator.

(You can use small mosfet transistors in place of the relays, but that would involve circuit fabrication.)
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal indicators. Are they rgt & lft Reply with quote

Found my pix... and the 914world post. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=248604&hl=silver

As mentioned above, I had to get a bulb holder with 2 connections and loop the ground together. Then I used the correct wire from the hazard switch and ran it to the correct bulb. Used some "fancy" connectors and it worked.

I guess I will tinker with the bus set-up and see if it is similar enough for me to figure out.

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal indicators. Are they rgt & lft Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
I had to get a bulb holder with 2 connections and loop the ground together.

That's exactly what I did with my bus turn signal wiring circa year 2000. Just connected to the black/white and black/green
wires coming from the t/s switch, and a ground to each indicator bulb. Back then, bus instrument bulb holders with two connectors were
available from several sources. In recent years, I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: