Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Slider Door Storage Hack
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevieSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Slider Door Storage Hack Reply with quote

I am working to fabricate all new interior paneling in my 84. Once I remove the paneling in the slide door it will be trash, its basically being held together by the plugs. Has anyone ever considered making storage inside the slider door? is there enough space to make some skinny shelving using the door framing? I've looked around and haven't seen too much about it. My intention would be to make small shelving within the door and have the paneling be hinged so it could flip up or out to access it. Id love to hear about any ideas, experiences, or absolute failures! Thanks!
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Slider Door Storage Hack Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

not an amazing amount of space for storage. the door latch pull cuts across the door. that right there limits the available space. don't hack the metal, it keeps you safe in a crash.

BiWerks Design, LLC
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Slider Door Storage Hack Reply with quote

Add to the relative lack of depth to the skin/frame on the door, you'd have a couple inches of room to add outward since the door slips outward when sliding back. That, too, is pretty slim.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Slider Door Storage Hack Reply with quote

Vanagon book storage!
(photo is flipped, not a double slider Laughing )
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Slider Door Storage Hack Reply with quote

in my rear hatch, I stow a spare set of engine coolant hoses, just put the panel back, and know it's there Idea

the slider works to much to kept stuff there to access , one good slam, stuff would be falling out, Arrow just my thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Slider Door Storage Hack Reply with quote

I just take less stuff.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Slider Door Storage Hack Reply with quote

while I plan to use some of that space for the sandals/flip flops..
the middle of my door panel touches the side of my van on occasion.
so you really can't get any thicker.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Slider Door Storage Hack Reply with quote

Doesn't somebody make an extension kit for the slider ?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Slider Door Storage Hack Reply with quote

Here's what I did on the rear hatch. The same could be done on the slider as well. The rear catch releasee could be done through a Bowden cable and routed to where you want it to go so it does not need to go through the middle of any available space. One of the beauties of door storage--or hatches--is that no matter how the van is loaded, there is nothing in the way when you open the door. Of course in the case of the slider, you have to be inside to access at least the back part of any storage, but you could reach around the front half and get to tire irons, jumper cables and the like.
Those are jumper cables in a bag on the left.
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Slider Door Storage Hack Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Here's what I did on the rear hatch. The same could be done on the slider as well. The rear catch releasee could be done through a Bowden cable and routed to where you want it to go so it does not need to go through the middle of any available space. One of the beauties of door storage--or hatches--is that no matter how the van is loaded, there is nothing in the way when you open the door. Of course in the case of the slider, you have to be inside to access at least the back part of any storage, but you could reach around the front half and get to tire irons, jumper cables and the like.

I love this idea with the hinge! That's great! Cool

Adding a pocket to the slider seems useful when the slider is closed but, if someone puts something too large in the pocket and you open it from the outside or just forget, you could easily scratch the van or worse. Besides, my slider door card is a work of art. I'm moving on to the rear hatch panel.

I believe the grey one above is from sewfine.
StevieSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Slider Door Storage Hack Reply with quote

thanks for the tips! I am going to look into options with the back hatch. I didn't even think of that. appreciate it everyone!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Slider Door Storage Hack Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

Neato. That's one more creative solution from DuncanS. Thanks for sharing this. Every (Vanagon) body cavity can become a storage space.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: