Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When it takes a heat gun to start the bus up...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: When it takes a heat gun to start the bus up... Reply with quote

This year has been bad...I only managed to get the bus out into the sunshine just once and that too, just for a drive, not even camping. Life's changed and I'm real busy these days.

Anyway, I thought I should start her up just because. And well, something that hasn't happened before happened...turned the key, and nothing. Hmmm. Dead battery. Yes, it was dead.

New battery, what the....the oil and battery light would go dim, then go out. No sounds. Hmmm...must be bad grounds. Cleaned up the grounds, removed terminals, shined everything up, tried again.

Well, this time....LOUD click. OK, that was helpful. But nothing. No cranking.

Get under again...this time, do the jumper trick. Well, touching the two large nuts got a loud click and nothing else. Touch the small one to the big one and just got sparks.

I had an idea...maybe stuff has just hardened up from lack of use. Whipped out the heat gun and ran it all over the solenoid and starter. Did it for about 5 minutes on high heat. Touched the terminals and this time, I heard a whirrr!!! Got out and turned the key and she started in just a few cranks.

So...what should I do folks? Should I finally do the hot start relay workaround? Will it help? Or should I just take out the starter (not sure how to do it) and clean it up inside? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: When it takes a heat gun to start the bus up... Reply with quote

If the starter didn't spin freely when you jumped the two large lugs power isn't passing through the wires for some reason. As a guess I am going to say your starter brushes are either worn to their limit or froze up in their holders. If you have a mom and pops auto electric shop close by they may be able to just change out your brushes and lube your bearings and hand it back to you, but you may also need to buy a new/rebuilt starter.
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: When it takes a heat gun to start the bus up... Reply with quote

Clean the transmission ground!

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: When it takes a heat gun to start the bus up... Reply with quote

It’s time for the cut and paste:But before you do that, remove your ground strap from the battery, then disconnect it where it bolts to the body. That bolt may be rusty and may break when you remove it. At any rate, take some fine sandpaper and shine up the side of the ground strap that touches the body and shine up the steel of the body where the ground strap contacts it. Now, before you put the ground strap back on, disconnect and clean up your positive connection to the battery both on the battery end and the starter end. Reconnect the positive, then reconnect the ground. In other words, you are cleaning BOTH ends of BOTH cables. If that doesn’t help it to start better, now disconnect and clean up both ends of the transmission ground strap. Let us know how things work out. Best of luck! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: When it takes a heat gun to start the bus up... Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If the starter didn't spin freely when you jumped the two large lugs power isn't passing through the wires for some reason. As a guess I am going to say your starter brushes are either worn to their limit or froze up in their holders. If you have a mom and pops auto electric shop close by they may be able to just change out your brushes and lube your bearings and hand it back to you, but you may also need to buy a new/rebuilt starter.

There are alternator shops that do starters I believe. I'll call around. I have replaced alternator brushes on my old Merc (1984) back in the day...I'm guessing it should be about the same with the VW starter? My worry is the actual removal of the starter. Haven't done that one before.
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: When it takes a heat gun to start the bus up... Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
It’s time for the cut and paste:But before you do that, remove your ground strap from the battery, then disconnect it where it bolts to the body. That bolt may be rusty and may break when you remove it. At any rate, take some fine sandpaper and shine up the side of the ground strap that touches the body and shine up the steel of the body where the ground strap contacts it. Now, before you put the ground strap back on, disconnect and clean up your positive connection to the battery both on the battery end and the starter end. Reconnect the positive, then reconnect the ground. In other words, you are cleaning BOTH ends of BOTH cables. If that doesn’t help it to start better, now disconnect and clean up both ends of the transmission ground strap. Let us know how things work out. Best of luck! Cool

Thanks TomWesty. I had tried all that, but it didn't work, hence the heat gun. But you know what...I really should probably change all those cables anyway. They are kinda old (I'm guessing 44 years old lol!) I've always made my own cables for my other vehicles from welding cable, and the braided one on the transmission to body does look like its original. I think that's what I'm going to do.

I have to say though, that once i got it heated up, it started up really easily.

wihr wrote:
Clean the transmission ground!

WW

Yep. Did that first thing. I think I will buy new braided ground wire to replace it. Thanks for the thought though!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: When it takes a heat gun to start the bus up... Reply with quote

Rubber Duck wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

There are alternator shops that do starters I believe. I'll call around. I have replaced alternator brushes on my old Merc (1984) back in the day...I'm guessing it should be about the same with the VW starter? My worry is the actual removal of the starter. Haven't done that one before.

The removal of the starter is not big deal. A bit hard to access the one nut, but everything else is pretty easy. You must remove the ground cable from the battery before you start work.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: When it takes a heat gun to start the bus up... Reply with quote

That is what I would do also.

Remove the starter and take it to the local alternator rebuilder guy and have it all cleaned up and made to work correctly.

While they are doing that take in the battery cables into them and have him build you some nice new ones using bigger meat "welding wire" with heat shrink connections. He can build you nice new ground straps at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: When it takes a heat gun to start the bus up... Reply with quote

Hmm, I like the heat gun trick. That is new to me, still learning!
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: When it takes a heat gun to start the bus up... Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

Remove the starter and take it to the local alternator rebuilder guy and have it all cleaned up and made to work correctly.

While they are doing that take in the battery cables into them and have him build you some nice new ones using bigger meat "welding wire" with heat shrink connections. He can build you nice new ground straps at the same time.

Hmmm...didn't know they did that too! I'll have to ask for sure!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: When it takes a heat gun to start the bus up... Reply with quote

Rubber Duck wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:

Hmmm...didn't know they did that too! I'll have to ask for sure!

Check these guys out for battery cables...

https://www.batterycablesusa.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: When it takes a heat gun to start the bus up... Reply with quote

Our local NAPA will take one of their cables, shorten it to the length you need dab it with anti corrosive grease, crimp on the end you desire, and seal the joint with heat shrink, all for the price of the cable and cable end.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: When it takes a heat gun to start the bus up... Reply with quote

Rather than adding a hot start relay with lots of new wires to maintain and fail....

Run a new wire from starter terminal to the ignition switch. New ignition switches are junk so either carry a spare or wire in a starter button separate from the ignition switch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: