Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Outer Rear Axle Bearing Orientation
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
swampcreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Outer Rear Axle Bearing Orientation Reply with quote

I'm replacing the rear axle bearings. In the written instructions I see they state to have the rollers facing outboard away from the grease on the outer bearing. When I removed the old bearings the rollers were facing TOWARDS the grease with roller retainer ring facing outboard and the rollers facing towards the grease (which does make more sense. It would seem to me that the roller retainer band facing the grease would restrict any needed grease from the inside of the hub to flow into the bearing). I also see a lot of pictures on my searches where it appears the retainer is outboard and the rollers are inboard). So any input would be appreciated.
Also, should I pack more grease between the outside of the bearing assembly and the bolt on bearing retainer?

Thanks in advance!
Sloop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Axle Bearing Orientation Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swampcreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Axle Bearing Orientation Reply with quote

That doesn't look like the bearing I have which is a FAG with little barrel like rollers that the inner race inserts into, on the other side of where the inner race inserts is a band that that is the back of the roller keepers that runs between the inner and outer races when its fully assembled.
swampcreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Axle Bearing Orientation Reply with quote

To better explain the bearing side in the top picture was facing outboard originally, but from what I've read the side pictured below should face outboard which doesn't make sense. To further confuse things, I also read bearing numbers are to face outboard and the numbers are on the banded side of the old bearings and on the non-banded side of the new bearings. I have one already driven in but I think I'm going to remove it and install it so the open side faces the greased inside of the hub.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Axle Bearing Orientation Reply with quote

If you pack the bearing and the cup the bearing is lubed for life (make sure you are using wheel bearing grease I prefer synthetic),follow the instructions. The old one was probably there 30+ years.
swampcreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Axle Bearing Orientation Reply with quote

I'm using Valvoline Synpower full synthetic with moly that's supposed to be good for wheel bearings, high heat, CV joints, etc. but I'm still confused on the bearing orientation.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Axle Bearing Orientation Reply with quote

The correct way to install is to have the bearing seal face the inside i.e. towards the gearbox.

There is definitely logic in this, theoretically.

1. As previously posted, the bearing once lubricated is sealed for a long time
2. Enough oil passes the seal anyway to lubricate the bearings
3. And most importantly, a correct puller that attaches on the inside of the bearing cage can be used to pull the bearing. VW didn't believe in some of the methods that many do today to bang off the bearing as it potentially damages it.

(I Digress: Allegedly Mercedes apprentices were never given hammers in their toolboxes as Mercedes attitude was that if you couldn't press it off, or pull off parts you certainly didn't hammer anything. )

If you look at these bearings many of which are well over 50 years old, they are better made than any of the crap replacement bearings you buy today.

However, given the above points, it probably doesn't make any difference until you come to pull the bearing off. Then you have a decision to make to use the vulgar methods or remove the seal (which probably damages the seal making it unusable) and use a proper puller.

I pulled this photo of the correct type of puller by oldvwnut from the gallery which works on the inside of the bearing.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Axle Bearing Orientation Reply with quote

I think the seal toward the gear oil is to keep from diluting the wheel bearing grease with gear oil as you race around the corner. Think front wheel bearings no oil just the grease you packed the bearing and in the cup (always leave a air pocket for expansion) so no need to face the wrong way other than what has already been said.
swampcreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Axle Bearing Orientation Reply with quote

But this is an IRS rear end, solid axles and CV joints, there is no gear oil just grease. I'm not trying to be difficult but I'm seeing all kinds of different things. Most of the pictures on the countless threads I'm researching shows the seal on the outside...again most of them but not all. The way I see it the grease in the hub should see as much bearing surface as possible, the seal would restrict the supply of all that grease in the hub...maybe I'm missing something.

It would be nice if I get could comfortable with the seal on the inside since taking the bearing back out could potentially mess it up.
swampcreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Axle Bearing Orientation Reply with quote

Ok, after reading a WHOLE BUNCH more I determined the I would pull the inserted bearing and flip it to have the rollers face the carrier and grease. Luckily I managed to get it out with a hose clamp bound THIGHTLY around the tiny portion that sticks out and tap back and forth while giving it a tug once in a while (got that idea from one of the threads I read here). I put the other axle bearing assembly on the same way. Yes this is a dune buggy I'm rebuilding ground up but I figured since this forum pronably gets more traffic I'd ask about the bearings here.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Axle Bearing Orientation Reply with quote

Quote:
little barrel like rollers

The outer bearing looks kinda like this...I do not see what difference the orientation of the inner bearing ball 'retainer' would have on anything. I can understand grease squishing out of a bearing but how does grease migrate into a bearing? Load it up, install it and you're done.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swampcreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Axle Bearing Orientation Reply with quote

I would think as the bearings turn the grease moves around, the side of the bearing that has more surface exposure of the rollers should face the grease in the carrier. Obviously I see it both ways so it probably doesn't make a difference but I wanted the best way. Somehow a bunch of posts disappeared from here, hows that? Anyway, it's done. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: