Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

Long story short, I got a bad 2/3 backrest cover for a 67 only and didn't realize it until I was 1/2 way through installing. Front installed correctly, back did not line up, at all. So I need to figure out how to remove the plastic strip from the slot in the seat frame. Its a pretty tight fit and I know there has to be a trick to do this, I'm just not finding one through the ol google machine.

Any one know of tricks to get those plastic strips out of that slot?
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

I would need some pics to understand what you're talking about.
SBS #00
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

I think you could open up the slot gently with a screwdriver, etc., enough to release the anchoring strip from the channel. Even if you have to touch up the seat frame, it should be ok, assuming that your seat frame/channel are in good enough shape to stand some gentle bending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

Here's what I had to send TMI to explain what the problem was. Should show that the front of the seat cover has the plastic installed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To be honest, I think they still don't understand what the problem is. Confused

Z - I'm not certain I'd want to pry it apart. I guess that may be the option tho. I'm thinking there has to be an industry trick to getting it out w/o damaging the frame, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

Oops. Looks like they made a mistake.

I’ve taken them apart when I’ve had one side in like that with a pick. It’s a challenge. Relieve some pressure with your hand, then start at one side and work it out with a pick and a putty knife.

It might be easier and cleaner just to leave it in, cut that plastic strip with some dykes, but be careful not to cut the thread, then tie the thread off and move on.
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Oops. Looks like they made a mistake.

I’ve taken them apart when I’ve had one side in like that with a pick. It’s a challenge. Relieve some pressure with your hand, then start at one side and work it out with a pick and a putty knife.

It might be easier and cleaner just to leave it in, cut that plastic strip with some dykes, but be careful not to cut the thread, then tie the thread off and move on.

I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'd rather not have to cut the thing but if I gotta then I gotta. Seems like a waste to do that though. Thanks!
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

Bob,

I can fix the problem.....is TMI sending you a replacement?
If not it will take me about an hour.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

@Doug - I got the replacement the other day, just looking ideas on how best to remove the defective one w/o cutting it. I think I'll be using a couple O ring picks and hooks.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

The back on mine was about 2" too long. I'd have had to put a 6" mattress inside to take up the slack. WW wasn't even slightly interested in doing anything about it. C'est la vie.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

You'll need to make a way to support your seat firmly to something and inch by inch, work the cover off while compressing the spring pack. Just like install but in reverse for folks who don't use the "inside out" method of install. Get your work space warm. Keep the material soft. Squeeze each side bolster with one hand and work the material up with the other. Pull up an inch this side, an inch that side, and so on. It will take exactly 35 minutes and you will have the gripping strength of a bulldog when you're done.

Incidentally, I had the same issue using a '63 short middle seat in a '66. The center support apparently is located differently from year to year. Doug D is right- the center can be "relocated" with a new cut and sewing up the remaining strip. Anyone who can see Doug's repair is too damn close to your bus! Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
The back on mine was about 2" too long. I'd have had to put a 6" mattress inside to take up the slack. WW wasn't even slightly interested in doing anything about it. C'est la vie.

Yeah, absolutely no interest what so ever. One liner responses, no context to the questions they were asking. Wanted a pic of the handle on the middle seat with no explanation why... Ended up having to call TMI to get it handled. Even that required me drawing it out for them... It was almost like it was my fault I ordered a defective seat cover.
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

Ended up having to cut the strip. I tried...

Here's how lovely the replacement fits Rolling Eyes

zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

That looks a whole lot better than mine. Other than the pucker in the center, it looks like it fits fairly well. Also, once it's in the bus, you have to be something of a contortionist to even see that.

I'd like to see more pictures if you get a chance, highlighting the more challenging areas as well as the overall profile. No worries, if it's a PITA.
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
That looks a whole lot better than mine. Other than the pucker in the center, it looks like it fits fairly well. Also, once it's in the bus, you have to be something of a contortionist to even see that.

Agree. I had to pull pretty hard to get that strip to line up with the slot. They sewed it to far to the right. Maybe only about 3/4 of an inch but enough to cause a pucker.

zozo wrote:

I'd like to see more pictures if you get a chance, highlighting the more challenging areas as well as the overall profile. No worries, if it's a PITA.

I'll take some pics and post this afternoon. The top corner pleats are not symmetrical. Driver's side is loose, folded and sewed (what I feel) incorrectly. I still have to install the grab bar and maybe that will hide it. We'll see.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

Does anyone have any idea if WW will sell just the backrest cover?

azbob, you've caused me to think about mine being such a mess, and now I want to fix it. Not sure whether to curse you or bless you. LOL
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

zozo wrote:

azbob, you've caused me to think about mine being such a mess, and now I want to fix it. Not sure whether to curse you or bless you. LOL

I'll go with curse Wink

Here's some pics.

I still need to find the foam arm rest thing. I know I can find a wooden one but then how would I upholster it? Guess I'll figure it out when I get to that point.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

That looks GREAT! I think your grab handles will mount perfectly. Very nice job.

My armrest has little cracks in the vinyl, but I dare not mess with it for fear of making it worse.

Thanks for the pics. They're prodding me into action, albeit with sloth-like enthusiasm.

Last edited by zozo on Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving cover from a middle seat when removing Reply with quote

zozo wrote:

I'm pretty sure they wont. WW had to have them make me a replacement even though I bought from WW. 2-4 days delivered when ordered from WW and 3 weeks to get it replaced by TMI.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: