Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to do with 14" wheels
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

I changed to 16" wheels and tires so I have four 14" wheels with worn tires. Are these worth anything, is there anyone in Portland OR who can use them, or should I simply bring them to the tire shop to recycle?

I kept the best one of the 14"s for a spare, until I can get the spare tire carrier to fit a 225/60-16. I believe the 14" tire is about 1" less in radius than the 16" tire. Safe enough for a limited use spare, I think - agree?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

Someone will take them for sure. If no one else speaks up, I will drive in and get them myself.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

jyl wrote:
I kept the best one of the 14"s for a spare, until I can get the spare tire carrier to fit a 225/60-16. I believe the 14" tire is about 1" less in radius than the 16" tire. Safe enough for a limited use spare, I think - agree?

I'm doing the same thing on my 2WD Westy but if you have a Syncro don't use a spare with that size difference.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

I use a 14" wheel to tighten the rear axle nuts.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

Ive got a bunch myself and didnt think of the spare idea. Was pretty sure I needed a 16" but the point you make about them being nearly the same radius hits home. One could probably buy a larger diam tire at a used tire shop (Tucson has 100s of them) and come close to matching the 16s as long as it fits the carrier.

I college we used the extras to make a raft. Tied em all together and attached a piece of plywood. (Que up some Christopher cross )

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

Give them or sell them to someone who needs them. They also are good for late bay window and vanagon rescues.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

Are you in snow country? You could mount up a set of snow tires for the winter season. Many folks in New England have a spare set of mounted snow tires.

I have 16s on our 2wd camper and carry a 14 inch spare for now. It would be only to get to a place to deal with the flat.

Steel wheels have there place. If I were traveling anywhere off the beaten path, my preference would be steel rims. They can be bent, straightened, heated and welded. Can't same the same for a mag wheel.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

I offered 6 free stock 14" steelies , even offered to meet someone if they're local... haven't had any takers... Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
rag63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

JYL,
PM sent. I'm in Portland.
Thanks,
Dave
YosemiteBound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

This makes me sad. I still run my oem 14s Sad
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

Hey, I'm on my 14's too. We should start a club.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

jyl, I would recommend strapping them to panniers to help train up for your next STP Wink

-your fellow Pelican
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

I stacked mine behind the house and eventually got a Vanagon Rescue Squad call from a guy who had two flats in Nebraska and was limping into Denver on improperly rated tires...He was happy to take them!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

rag63 wrote:
JYL,
Thanks,
Dave

PM'd you back, thanks
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

Thanks all.

I am normally the kind of person who holds on to everything because it might be useful someday. But I think I'm turning into a hoarder so my new approach is to let things go to people who can use them. And I just can't think of a use for the 14" steelies. The snow tire idea was good but I had snow tires on them and the van was still horrid in snow (2WD, no LSD, one snow day here in Portland I couldn't even pull away from my curb).

So, happy to have a Sambaite take 'em and looks like that is happening.
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
jyl, I would recommend strapping them to panniers to help train up for your next STP Wink

-your fellow Pelican

Dude! I didn't know you were a vanagon owner.

Haven't ridden STP for a long time. All my riding nowadays is commuting. I've got some projects that will finish up next spring and then I figure to have my life back and will do more riding!

You doing okay? I'll PM you my email/cell.
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

rag63 wrote:
JYL,
Thanks,
Dave

Dave, I'm not sure if my PMs are working?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

4 x 14" wheels = 18" jack stands:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
rag63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

Thank you. I got your PM and will be in touch tomorrow.
Dave
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with 14" wheels Reply with quote

E1 Dipstick Alert:

Post deleted for said dipstickness. Embarassed

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: