Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

I don't know how to start this thread, but it has to be started no matter what. Yesterday we finalized the purchase of a 1971 Westfalia with less than 2700 miles on it. My wife and I are still kind of in shock.

It's not currently running or stopping, as it's been sitting for 40+ years. An elderly woman in Florida bought it new and drove it sparingly until parked in the mid seventies. She passed away and her son bought it from the estate. He kept it garaged until earlier this year when her other son bought it from him and had it trailered to Wisconsin. He decided to sell because he didn't have time or physical ability to work on it. That's where we come in.

I don't have much for documentation besides the paper sticker on the drivers door jamb for the first oil change. The bus is remarkably clean with all original paint as far as I can tell. Surface rust is present on the drip rail in some spots because they left leaves on the roof in storage! Smh! There is some surface rust on the wheels and bumpers as well. Unfortunately it didn't come with the original tires on it. The muffler appears to be original and still has the gray paint intact.

I'm going to do my best to document this bus and share it with the samba. I don't think I'm worthy of this bus and I'm going to be extremely careful with everything I do to it. I'm still not sure if I should even keep it!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Loaded on the trailer.

Back home finally
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

First and only oil change.

Driver floor

Odometer

Driver rocker

Grey paint on the muffler

The undercarriage still has the primer, overspray, and under coating in great shape

The engine still has the paper stickers on the fan shroud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Wow!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Nice!

So, what Subi engine are you gonna put in it? Laughing

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Surprised nice find!
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

"Wow" ain't the word...I am going to the thesaurus for a better word!

'74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

"Wow" ain't the word...I am going to the thesaurus for a better word!

'74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

That's an amazing discovery. Congratulations! Dancing

My vote is to get it in safe running order, and use it for its intended purpose... Touring, adventuring and funning!
It's been cooped up and neglected for too long to let the moths and vermin get more use of it than you. Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Nice!

So, what Subi engine are you gonna put in it? Laughing

Bahaha! I was going to make a joke about air ride and and tubbing it out but I didn't think it would be well received!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Dump it on earlies...!

Nice find!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Shocked What a score!, can't wait for more pictures!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Get it appraised before you go anywhere with it. That belongs in a collection rather than being driven. Really. It is probably 1 of 1 at this point.
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Get it appraised before you go anywhere with it. That belongs in a collection rather than being driven. Really. It is probably 1 of 1 at this point.

We are pondering this at the moment. I'd like to at least clean it and buff the original paint and from there where do we go?

Do I try to find new old stock brake hoses? Do they exist?

Do I repaint the bumpers?

Do I repaint the wheels?

The canvas is chewed up in the front. Replace that with Wolfsburg west canvas? Has anybody seen a nos canvas?

Does anybody know a good appraiser in the midwest familiar with vws?
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Shocked What a score!, can't wait for more pictures!

Thank you. Hopefully she is getting a bath tonight and I'll get as many as I can. Yesterday was exhausting and I had just enough time to get it off the trailer and into the garage before bed.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Amazing!!!

Rebuild brakes with NOS parts, YES

Re-paint any of it, NO

New canvass top, I would try a pro repair first

I would contact a VW magazine or Dennis Gage ( My classic car ) for an interview, it needs no evaluation as it stands alone as the lowest mileage Westy left on the face of the planet.

Insure to $100,000 and enjoy as you see fit
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Words fail me... this is amazing.

Don't repaint anything, and don't replace the canvas. This will have its greatest value as a "survivor", where everything except the rubber (brake lines, tires...) is original.

Do clean it up, and preserve it as is.

Seriously, this may be the lowest mileage bus outside a museum. And this is an amazing collector's item, and should not be used for actual driving and camping, etc. With the money you could get for this one, you could buy several top-notch campers for that.

And you, or someone, needs to document the heck out of this. Photos and descriptions of every detail will be highly useful for those restoring similar buses.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Insane! I agree with the others. Preserve it as is except for mechanicals, get those in order. Take your time, this is a real find. Sell it to a worthy collector if it’s not something you can take care of to the level it deserves. Awesome Bus!!
I’d remove those rear bumper guards though. Someone added those at some point. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Quote:

No disrespect meant by my reply to the statement above.

Fact is no reputable insurance company is going to insure that for $100,000 unless one sells in an auction like it, or someone like Mecum, Gooding, Barrett Jackson, or someone like Wayne Carini etc., appraises that at $100,000. Once you start driving it then it is just another nice bus. You only get ONE shot at getting this one right. The insurance company is going to insure it what a clean bus would sell for today plus a little. I don't know what that bus would sell for at an high end auction once it is cleaned up. That said, insure it at an agreed value. I suspect you could get a policy for $30,000 today and then once it is appraised get the policy upgraded closer to that amount. Also there are some legal precedents here. If I buy a diamond ring for $1500 and it turns out to be a one of a kind Tiffany that is worth $350,000, most likely the seller's attorney will be visiting me once they hear about the instant windfall - ESPECIALLY if I knew it was worth a lot more when I bought it from the private party. Auctions are different.
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Great find!

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:

No disrespect meant by my reply to the statement above.

Fact is no reputable insurance company is going to insure that for $100,000 unless one sells in an auction like it, or someone like Mecum, Gooding, Barrett Jackson, or someone like Wayne Carini etc., appraises that at $100,000. Once you start driving it then it is just another nice bus. You only get ONE shot at getting this one right. The insurance company is going to insure it what a clean bus would sell for today plus a little. I don't know what that bus would sell for at an high end auction once it is cleaned up. That said, insure it at an agreed value. I suspect you could get a policy for $30,000 today and then once it is appraised get the policy upgraded closer to that amount. Also there are some legal precedents here. If I buy a diamond ring for $1500 and it turns out to be a one of a kind Tiffany that is worth $350,000, most likely the seller's attorney will be visiting me once they hear about the instant windfall - ESPECIALLY if I knew it was worth a lot more when I bought it from the private party. Auctions are different.

Call these people:

https://www.chubb.com/us-en/?gclid=CjwKCAjwmJbeBRB...DAoddvsFtQ

I'm happy to give you my contact's name. If you're interested, PM me. She was very good at what she does. She knows a bit about VW's as well as other vintage cars. She'll ask you a bunch of questions about the way you intend to use the vehicle. I'm not sure that 100K is out of the question. I have an agreed value with them. While it is not 100K, it wasn't too far off. You'll likely have to provide pictures, etc. It will also need to be in a locked garage. Hope this proves useful! Let us know what you end up doing.

Sweet score!

Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: