Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelbylynn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

And the flooring is perfect under the carpet!
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It’s a car, not a museum piece.

Enjoy it on the road where it belongs.

Angled fuel pump? Is that 1971?

I do have the removable top fuel pump and I do intend to measure that rod length before we go that far! We do have the air filter and it is in perfect shape. Once you see the underside of this bus, its easy to believe the odometer...

I also failed miserably at taking pictures of stuff tonight. We had time for some light cleaning and removed the stinky red carpet. I promise next time I'm in the shop I'll take some of the undercarriage.
[/list]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Found a few on my phone that I didn't post yet. Just thought it was cool that the stickers and stamp were still nice...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

shelbylynn wrote:
And the flooring is perfect under the carpet!

And this is my wife Shelby! She is the only reason I got into VW's Very Happy
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

I could be way off, but this is weird, it seems like some parts of the bus you would expect to be perfect on a 2600 mile original bus are all scratched and chipped (like the pedals, shift, and steering column), but other things that you would expect to be time worn, regardless of low miles, just from sitting and collecting dust and humidity (fabrics, wood headliner) are perfect. And yet the rug is completely trashed....

As mentioned before it seems suspect. Intriguing.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Looks insane. Get that thing back in the garage. Laughing Shocked
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Also that better be an AGREED policy and not a STATED policy or lessor of "stated value and appraisal."

yes, agreed value policy. 80k on the deluxe, 25k on the westy and 18k on the single (or could be 20...I forget) but they are all agreed value.

and like I said...I had sent them tons of photos...all the chassis, everything...floors, photos of it in the booth etc etc.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

oh, and cool bus!

not knocking it at all, but that drivers rocker looks like there is rust blowing it open. its all pregnant looking around the spot welds. I can photo what it is suppose to look like.

rusty turn sig lever too. odd, but cool. chianti red looks sharp!

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

curtp07 wrote:
I could be way off, but this is weird, it seems like some parts of the bus you would expect to be perfect on a 2600 mile original bus are all scratched and chipped (like the pedals, shift, and steering column), but other things that you would expect to be time worn, regardless of low miles, just from sitting and collecting dust and humidity (fabrics, wood headliner) are perfect. And yet the rug is completely trashed....

Looking back at the cockpit picture. The padded dash has some chunks taken out of it, in odd spots.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Being a stock purist with engines, it's nice to see an original 1971 engine. The 205Q distributor looks new with the correct, dark brown bakelite cap. Yup, wrong fuel pump for sure, though some suggest the Pierburg dome top was correct in 1971. My VW geekness loves seeing the correct color Bosch decal on the coil. I can't tell in the picture, are the intake manifold boots black or red?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
shelbylynn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

From what I was told, and I very well could be mistaken, Florida has salt in its humidity which affects metal way worse than it would else where. So that may explain why some things are fine but the metal has been hit particularly hard. We only know what we know. We bought it because we already have a beautiful 71 westy and thought it would be fun to have a twin for each of us to drive. We were not planning on flipping it or anything like that. We were just told it may be something special and to document it so we are. So this is us just wanting to do the best we can to preserve it. It is not a get rich quick scheme so we could care less if people view it as valuable or collectable ♡ I have been in contact with Randy Carlson from Hot VW and if for any reason he starts doubting it's authenticity, we will not be afraid to say it. So far, he doesn't doubt it and it sounds like he really knows his stuff.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Here's a picture out the 71' bus owners manual. It shows a dome top Pierburg pump in place. I wonder if the other pump was a late year add on.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It’s a car, not a museum piece.

Enjoy it on the road where it belongs.

Angled fuel pump? Is that 1971?

Forgot to add, that is 110% awesome

And put a Herbie 53 stripe right over the top if YOU want

Laughing Laughing

My red 71 will always be the Bus that brought me and MRS Dr Abscate together on a trip around the country, 34 years ago.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

thats one great find.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy the bus and have fun.

It needs to go adventuring Smile
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

maybe the raccoons (grand kids) have been trying to drive it while stored.

curtp07 wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

I would use it. Even if you put 25,000 miles on it, it will still be an extremely low miles, mostly original bus.

And you can take lots of pictures to document any repairs along the way for anyone who may care.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

You might consider getting a photograph of the speedometer cable where it attaches to the speedometer. If the paint mark is unmolested, keep it that way, as this is evidence that the speedo has not been disconnected.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
You might consider getting a photograph of the speedometer cable where it attaches to the speedometer. If the paint mark is unmolested, keep it that way, as this is evidence that the speedo has not been disconnected.

Nice, John.

Then upload the pics here so that they are date stamped and even the most skeptical will bow to facts.

The factory marks on the engine being so clean are pretty cool indicators it is low mileage. Should be an AE engine in range appropriate for the month, too
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

Pretty exciting stuff surfacing this year!

Thanks for sharing it with us. Do whatever the he'll you want with it, but spend an afternoon photographing every seam, joint, knob, sticker, attachment, hinge, rod, boot, wire, fabric, hook, clip, bolt....
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2700 original mile 1971 Westfalia discovered! Reply with quote

If it was mine I would store it inside, insure it well, only replace the safety related items and some cosmetic items and use NOS, nice shape OE, or top of the line repro.... as mentioned, soap and water and wax resto only. This is a very special bus. Feel free to drive it all around once that is all done but until that point, please treat it with respect. It does sound like you have a good understanding of what you have. Enjoy!

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: