Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brakes for 2.1 type 4 engine/ 140hp
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: brakes for 2.1 type 4 engine/ 140hp Reply with quote

How much braking power would I need for a 2.1 type 4 street engine. Im thinking about 130 to 140 horsepower out of the engine. Do I need big brakes, or could I stay on the cheaper side like the topline kit? Im thinking I will need rear discs aswell. what do you guys think?
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: brakes for 2.1 type 4 engine/ 140hp Reply with quote

Big Brakes, well, the Topline kit is plug and play, I am running it front and rear with a 2180. Thing is don't forget the Supers run about 2,200 lbs, so front and rear disk once you have them on you will notice a tremendous difference. Just call up Topline John, nice guy and has the details. I did front and rear all at the same time do to I changed my lug nut bolt pattern over to Porsche when I went German Looker... RB
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: brakes for 2.1 type 4 engine/ 140hp Reply with quote

Need? No more than you aready have as standard. You haven't made it appreciably heavier so unless you normally brake with your foot on the fast pedal the power of the engine is irrelevant.
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: brakes for 2.1 type 4 engine/ 140hp Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
Need? No more than you aready have as standard. You haven't made it appreciably heavier so unless you normally brake with your foot on the fast pedal the power of the engine is irrelevant.

Doesn’t work like that in real life lol
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes for 2.1 type 4 engine/ 140hp Reply with quote

If you plan on driving at higher speeds and want to stop more than twice from speed without having the pedal go to the floor then do all 4 wheels, a bigger master and upgrade to S/S hoses at the same time. Disks shed heat a lot faster and they don't expand away from the shoes like drums when they get hot and they will take a lot more heat before they begin to fade. This summer I turned the rear rotors on my race car blue slowing the car down rapidly from 120mph while doing some testing (rear brakes only) they pedal never got soft and the brake effort remained constant.

BTW I run nothing more than EMPI brake kits on all my race and street cars and have never felt the need for anything bigger or fancier. Leave the $1500, 4 piston, vented rotor brakes for the show cars and 2300lb road race cars.

brad
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes for 2.1 type 4 engine/ 140hp Reply with quote

I run 4 wheel discs, went to dropped front spindles and had a choice of drum or disc.. I think I have stock Ghia fronts and 914 rears with emergency brake. Trivia, I when I had them rebuilt I was told only 914 and Ferrari Dino had them. Hope they got bigger and better.

Seriously for a street car fronts are a big upgrade. Try it first. You are not a race car. Sure do rears if you have the extra money.

I had my entire front end redone, new tie rods, ball joints etc. they car is runing great.

The guy that did the job test drove it and and said now all you need is to have your brakes done???? I said those are new discs and pads. The owner of the shop asked the guy -- when was the last time you drove a car with out power brakes. All relative.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes for 2.1 type 4 engine/ 140hp Reply with quote

sshulk, I was told by Humble (from GL.net) many moons ago even the typical disc brake kits would have been enough to stop his turbo Subaru equipped 1303, and he was a regular autocrosser, so don't feel you need to get crazy with brakes. Even with as much power as you'll be making with a 2056 T4, it's still pretty modest compared to what some of the guys here on the Samba are making with their big T1s. I do recommend disc brakes simply for the ease of maintenance.

Technically, however, drum brakes are more effective for stopping due to having quite a bit more surface area where the braking material meets the stopping surface. That said, drum brakes don't shed heat as well as discs, nor water.

H2OSB
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: brakes for 2.1 type 4 engine/ 140hp Reply with quote

andy198712 wrote:
Zed999 wrote:

But it does! If the question was "I intend to drive my car as if I were racing" then yes, but that wasn't the question asked. Wink
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: brakes for 2.1 type 4 engine/ 140hp Reply with quote

I like discs because they are self adjusting, and don't fade like the drums do. That alone is worth the upgrade.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: brakes for 2.1 type 4 engine/ 140hp Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
andy198712 wrote:
Zed999 wrote:

But it does! If the question was "I intend to drive my car as if I were racing" then yes, but that wasn't the question asked. Wink

i get what you saying, but you don't build a fast engine to drive it like a 1200 either Wink

i found as it gets up to the speed limit so easily you end up slowing down more.... Laughing
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes for 2.1 type 4 engine/ 140hp Reply with quote

VW brakes were barely adequate back when the cars were new. Speeds have gone up a lot and traffic is a lot more dense than it was then. It is my view that our vintage brakes need to be upgraded to meet current driving conditions even with stock engines.

On one has ever died from lack of engine power but inadequate brakes is another story altogether! Get the best you can afford and do the engine later!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: