Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Factory Pan Date Stamp
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Factory Pan Date Stamp Reply with quote

The sig line bug's pan has a painted date on the bottom driver's side (USA port-side) as shown below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I interpret it as 16-9-74 in the EU date format DD-M-YY.

Question: At what step in the manufacturing process did the factory date it? Was this the date the pan was made? Was it the date the car was finished?

I would like to know for my restoration documentation. Thanks.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Pan Date Stamp Reply with quote

Here are the numbers that I found in my frame head.What do the 4 numbers in front mean?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Pan Date Stamp Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:

Here are the numbers that I found in my frame head.What do the 4 numbers in front mean?

I can't find a picture of my frame head before painting so I don't know if it had those four. Just guessing - production sequence?
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Pan Date Stamp Reply with quote

I don't think January has 32 days in it. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong though.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Pan Date Stamp Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:

Fiddlestyx wrote:
I don't think January has 32 days in it. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong though.

That could be 1st day of the 32nd week of 1976.... just guessing. Confused
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Pan Date Stamp Reply with quote

Having worked for a German company they all operate on week numbers.

1.32.76 is most likely first day of production, 32nd week in 1976 meaning this produced or stamped on Monday (usually but not always the first day of the week). This equates to Monday 2nd August 1976, meaning it would therefore be a (only just) a 1977 model most likely?

7136, is most likely 7th day of production (a Sunday), week 13, 1976. That is Sunday March 28, 1976. Is yours therefore a 76 model?

16.9.74 has me stumped. It most likely is the date 16th Sep 1974, but would have more correctly been stamped as 16.09.74. Or is it even an aftermarket or replacement pan?

My reasoning for the code differences in format is to help distinguish the same date code from different sections of the pressing factory, or even from different machines? For example 1.32.76 and 13276 would be immediately be identified from paperwork being from different areas. Only guessing.

It is not uncommon for machines to be set up with different code formats. Also most bottle manufacturers engrave each mould in a multi-head moulding machine with a unique number just to identify which of one of the say 32 moulds in a bottle blowing machine is giving out of specification results. Check the bottom of plastic bottles and you should know what I mean.

But I guess VW used these codes more likely to ensure that stock got rotated around properly and old ones were not left to sit in a warehouse until it was too late.

All just conjecture however.
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Pan Date Stamp Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

Fiddlestyx wrote:

That could be 1st day of the 32nd week of 1976.... just guessing. Confused

I've worked in Germany a good bit, but have never seen that D-WW-YY format. However, the Germans are fond of their kalenderwoches (kw), so it makes sense.
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Pan Date Stamp Reply with quote

Viking, sorry, I did not see your post while I was writing. Thanks for your thoughts.

Regarding your question about the pan date, I am absolutely positive it is an original factory pan.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Pan Date Stamp Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Having worked for a German company they all operate on week numbers.

1.32.76 is most likely first day of production, 32nd week in 1976 meaning this produced or stamped on Monday (usually but not always the first day of the week). This equates to Monday 2nd August 1976, meaning it would therefore be a (only just) a 1977 model most likely?

7136, is most likely 7th day of production (a Sunday), week 13, 1976. That is Sunday March 28, 1976. Is yours therefore a 76 model?

16.9.74 has me stumped. It most likely is the date 16th Sep 1974, but would have more correctly been stamped as 16.09.74. Or is it even an aftermarket or replacement pan?

My reasoning for the code differences in format is to help distinguish the same date code from different sections of the pressing factory, or even from different machines? For example 1.32.76 and 13276 would be immediately be identified from paperwork being from different areas. Only guessing.

It is not uncommon for machines to be set up with different code formats. Also most bottle manufacturers engrave each mould in a multi-head moulding machine with a unique number just to identify which of one of the say 32 moulds in a bottle blowing machine is giving out of specification results. Check the bottom of plastic bottles and you should know what I mean.

But I guess VW used these codes more likely to ensure that stock got rotated around properly and old ones were not left to sit in a warehouse until it was too late.

All just conjecture however.

Yes,its a 76 model.The Beetle left the factory on Feb.24,1976

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Pan Date Stamp Reply with quote

Well its unlikely that my theory holds water if your vehicle was despatched before the date on the chassis!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Pan Date Stamp Reply with quote

Volcrew, exactly where on your pan are those markings? Bottom surface of the pan opposite the battery tray on the driver's side? I have two '77 Std. Beetles, both of which have their original floorpans, but don't remember ever seeing them. If truly on the underside, you must have a low-mile vehicle since I'd imagine regular use would eventually wear it off.

Applegreen, does the frame head number correspond to the 4-digit number stamped into the small metal ID tag riveted to the trunk edge, to the left of the trunk latch? Hopefully your car still has the tag. The 4 digits on the tag are the production sequence #.

I think it would be a huge coincidence that the numbers match. Reason is, I can imagine that fully completed, US-spec pans (without the front axle at this point) would be made in advance and stockplied until an appropriate US model Beetle body came along in the assembly sequence. I doubt that the pan would be locked to a specific body until much later during assembly, after the front axle was installed. Remember that the Beetle was built at the Emden plant in those years, since Wolfsburg was full with Rabbits/Golfs and Dashers. The production of Beetles in Emden was declining, especially for the North American market.

In your first photo, the paint stamp could also be 1.3 (narrow space) 2.76. 2.76 would be the production month of the pan. This jives with your completed production date in late Feb 1976 and would support my idea above that pans were stockpiled in large quantities but only marked to identify a larger batch such as the pan production month. The 1.3 could be the engine size (1.3 liters aka 1300cc) but that invites many inconsistencies. Standard Beetles for other markets which had the 1300 engine would still have swingaxle rear axle. US Beetles for the '76 model year had the 1.6 (1600) engine and IRS.
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Pan Date Stamp Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Volcrew, exactly where on your pan are those markings? Bottom surface of the pan opposite the battery tray on the driver's side? I have two '77 Std. Beetles, both of which have their original floorpans, but don't remember ever seeing them. If truly on the underside, you must have a low-mile vehicle since I'd imagine regular use would eventually wear it off.

Correct on the location. Yes on the low miles; the vehicle is just over 66k miles.
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Pan Date Stamp Reply with quote

By the way, the VIN sticker on my door frame shows the build date as 10/1974, so the pan date is a couple of weeks before.

Maybe this is too long for it to be an assembly line stamp. More likely a pre-assembly step like pan forming?
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Pan Date Stamp Reply with quote

Rome wrote:

Applegreen, does the frame head number correspond to the 4-digit number stamped into the small metal ID tag riveted to the trunk edge, to the left of the trunk latch? Hopefully your car still has the tag. The 4 digits on the tag are the production sequence #.

I think it would be a huge coincidence that the numbers match. Reason is, I can imagine that fully completed, US-spec pans (without the front axle at this point) would be made in advance and stockplied until an appropriate US model Beetle body came along in the assembly sequence. I doubt that the pan would be locked to a specific body until much later during assembly, after the front axle was installed. Remember that the Beetle was built at the Emden plant in those years, since Wolfsburg was full with Rabbits/Golfs and Dashers. The production of Beetles in Emden was declining, especially for the North American market.

In your first photo, the paint stamp could also be 1.3 (narrow space) 2.76. 2.76 would be the production month of the pan. This jives with your completed production date in late Feb 1976 and would support my idea above that pans were stockpiled in large quantities but only marked to identify a larger batch such as the pan production month. The 1.3 could be the engine size (1.3 liters aka 1300cc) but that invites many inconsistencies. Standard Beetles for other markets which had the 1300 engine would still have swingaxle rear axle. US Beetles for the '76 model year had the 1.6 (1600) engine and IRS.

Here the 4 digits #5060

02/76 Beetle sedan
hbvankranen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Pan Date Stamp Reply with quote

This stamp i found on my superbeetle

Day nine of week 5 ?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: