Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad gas??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

1985 Westy 1.9.

1/2 tank gas cruising along at 55mph for about 25 minutes, no issues. Van starts to sputter intermittanly all of a sudden but I'm able to maintain speed.

Slow down to 3rd gear going through small town (in Wisco) and it really starts to sputter/jerk/jive. I think it's going to stall, but keeps running and i'm able to get back up to 55/60mph with some sputtering.

Stop at a stop sigh and the van idles nice and smooth. Start off and heavy sputtering ensues but again able to get back up to 55mph with mild sputtering at 55. Drive 7 more miles to gas station. Put in a 1/2 tank of 91 octane, 1 bottle of STP gas treatment.

Start van and drive for 2 hours to home with not one single sputter after fill up.

I'm inclined to think it was the gas, but since it was only 1/2 tank down, does that make sense? Was it the act of shutting off the motor that helped eliminate the issue?

Nervous about driving it again until I have a good idea of what might have caused it to sputter.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

To eliminate the possibility of contaminated fuel, I would remove the fuel filter with a glass jar on hand and blow through the filter backwards into the jar. Let the fuel settle and you will have an idea of what is in your tank. If it is clear and no water on the bottom, it might be something else.

Intermittent problems are the hardest to figure out. You need to be ready to test things while it is acting up.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

Any chance you were driving in the rain when this happened?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

When the gaskets and hoses on the tops of the expansion tanks and the gas tank itself go bad water thrown up by the tire will get into the tanks and cause the symptoms you are seeing. Time for a reseal.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

^^^^ This. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

It was snowing / sleeting a bit will I was driving, but not heavy at all. I drove it in heavy rain about 3 weeks ago for about an hour with no issues.

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the input.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

I'd also go with 'was it a puddle you hit' kind of question... On my recent 'hit a puddle' resulting with the need for a full reseal (not just the fuel tank, but the expansion/rollover ones too). Careful on those plastic tank nipples. After you use a razor blade to loosen the old vapor lines, be sure to clean the stems out good, they are often yet another remove/clean/reinstall AFTER getting the whole thing fully sealed up - for whatever reason, those nipples grow crud in them, and it blocks the vapor/fuel flowing, and then you get even stranger problems. ALSO, be aware that if indeed you are suffering the need for a reseal, you've nearly always got an issue where the charcoal tank in the rear passenger wheel well will have a plugged lower breather tube. You'll get everything done, fill the tank, go for a spin, and the blocked breather will result in an imploding fuel tank... Ask a few people who it's happened to. No fun. That's when you get to start ALL over. New sender, new tank, maybe salvage the reseal kit, etc.

Blah.

Good luck tho.

-bobby
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

thomast wrote:
It was snowing / sleeting a bit will I was driving, but not heavy at all. I drove it in heavy rain about 3 weeks ago for about an hour with no issues.

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the input.

Every problem starts at some point in time, often without warning. Could be something else but leaks on the top of the various tanks fits the symptoms well.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

thomast wrote:

Just to say, I have had multiple times that absolutely torrents of rain/muck, etc and not any issues at all with it getting in. Others times, just a tiny puddle.

Anyway, It is also possible that you've got an issue with your fuel pressure, an/or clogging sieve inside the tank. Those above who mentioned getting a look at whatever drains out backwards from the filter are top-notch posters here, lots of knowledge and understanding.

I guess you could take a look at the distributor cap. Old days, if a dizzy got wet, it'd need a shot of wd40, and you'd be on your way easy.
syncro2x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

I had this happen with my syncro when coming home from camping. Woke up to slushy wet snow. Van coughed and sputtered barely making highway speed and sucked gas like crazy. After about an hour had to buy fuel. Filled her up and figured it would be hard to start if start at all. Fired up right away and ran perfect all the way home. Seemed like the comfuser got reset. Did it again, about 3 months later when I hit a large puddle off roading. Sealed up everything electrical in the engine compartment with garbage bags and twisties. Never done it since.
syncro2x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

I had this happen with my syncro when coming home from camping. Woke up to slushy wet snow. Van coughed and sputtered barely making highway speed and sucked gas like crazy. After about an hour had to buy fuel. Filled her up and figured it would be hard to start if start at all. Fired up right away and ran perfect all the way home. Seemed like the comfuser got reset. Did it again, about 3 months later when I hit a large puddle off roading. Sealed up everything electrical in the engine compartment with garbage bags and twisties. Never done it since.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

Are you familiar with the Vanagon Syndrome? Search to reveal details.

A simple test for that problem is that switching the ignition off then on clears the problem until next time. Not even necessary to stop the vehicle (f you are careful) just switch off & on again.

Fix is a capacitor added to the AFM.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

I just had this happen two weeks ago. I filled up and it was instantly gone for the remainder of the trip. I have a theory the WBX may be slightly sensitive to fuel contamination for whatever reason. I had randomly put a new prefilter on my van hours before leaving on that trip, so it was not dirt.

I suspect it was water and I further suspect every fall when the fuel stations up north switch to the winter fuel, the first batches tend to or may be older fuel from last season mixed with fresh or some variation. It's never happened to me in the spring and I suspect that's because the "summer fuel" may be what's in constant use year round by our southerners, so there is no summer fuel sitting and waiting. Where as for winter fuel there may be some sitting.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

I’ve found the “ bad gas “ diagnosis to be incorrect 99% of the time.

Pulling off 250 ml into a glass container is a good diagnostic, though. If you can’t see water, it is something else.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

Sounds like the exact thing that happened to me and it was water in through the expansion tank seals.

It's not immediate. The rainy day could have been a few days before the symptoms. I drove in heavy rain on a Thursday and had issues on the Sunday of the trip.

Methyl Hydrate or "dry gas" as you Americans call it works to help if its not excessive.

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

if you pull the filter off to backflush and check smudge, DO NOT put it back on. for $13 put a new one on. it is typical for an older filter to backflush with black stained stuff.

i've found vanagon plug wires notorious for going bad quickly, resulting in poor running in wet or humid weather. also, make sure the white porcelain insulator on the plug itself is clean. they usually are NOT. take the black conductive RFI shield off the distributor and throw it. you don't listen to AM radio anyway. clean the distributor cap and coil top of dirt, they must be shiny clean brown Bakelite. throw away the cover on the coil also.

keeping the entire secondary ignition system clean is old school maintenance that is forgotten as nearly all new cars have COP.. Coil on Plug. it just isn't an issue anymore but we're driving antiques, that require antique thinking to keep them running smooth.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

I've had thoughts about how hard it is to "see" what we have going on. My 3 tractors (antiques, of course) have a glass blow, and a nice shutoff inline, so as to take the bowl off and get the crap and water out. Airplanes have a little thingy at the bottom of each fuel tank that you press a needle tip into that is connected to a viewing jar. Easy easy easy. Whats the deal? Why are there not easy to find kits to add something like these options of modern vehicles? 5 seconds, you'd know about crap or water in fuel. Rather than 3 days of forum posts.

-bobby
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
I've had thoughts about how hard it is to "see" what we have going on. My 3 tractors (antiques, of course) have a glass blow, and a nice shutoff inline, so as to take the bowl off and get the crap and water out. Airplanes have a little thingy at the bottom of each fuel tank that you press a needle tip into that is connected to a viewing jar. Easy easy easy. Whats the deal? Why are there not easy to find kits to add something like these options of modern vehicles? 5 seconds, you'd know about crap or water in fuel. Rather than 3 days of forum posts.

-bobby

You can buy a Racor water separating filter from any marine supply house for about $70, but 70 cents is the price point for most here.

The other problem is, this solution would quickly end the rant on water in fuel when they don't find any.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

When I was in flight training, part of the preflight inspection was to draw fuel off of both wing tanks into a clear glass cylinder. It was not so much for getting a bad load of fuel, but the problems with condensation forming inside the tank when it was sitting and not completely full.

The vanagon filter is easy enough to access and if there is water in the fuel, some will collect there. Even when I do a service, I like to drain the fuel filter into something just to see what is there. In other words, it's easy to eliminate water in the fuel and get on to checking other things.

My diesel filter has a drain from the factory. Again, I don't think VW thought the seals would fail and let water in. Part of owning a VW diesel is to occasionally drain the filter between filter changes.

When VW first started selling diesels, we had a few marine folks that wanted to add a Raycor in addition to the stock system. They just wanted the extra filtration and to some extent, "see" what was there. Boats are even more prone to water in the gas.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bad gas?? Reply with quote

high pressure, water separating fuel filter, with drain port..

http://ph.parker.com/us/en/high-pressure-fuel-filters-water-separator/110a

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: