Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need cam advice, 1914 type 1 with T3 automatic in trike
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rog Allen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Need cam advice, 1914 type 1 with T3 automatic in trike Reply with quote

Hi all
Please help with your thoughts and if I should change anything I'm doing below ,

I'm looking to figure out best cam to go with a full automatic transmission in my trike build*

Building a 1914*

Machining case

I bought >>>>>>*

69mm CW crank 8 pin and balanced*

I beam rods. 5.4" balanced

40x35.5. HP stage 1 port polished heads with dual springs , stainless valve*

Now i'm going order*

1914. 94x69mm Forged JE pistons with liners* will get balanced

Looking at dual 40mm IDE carbs " Weber copies" ????

Looking for new rockers also ???*

What cam you all think go good with my auto trans and my combo ??*

I like drive like an old man mostly but do like to get on it and enjoy some power*

I keep looking and reading forums.s but not much on autos*

So far I'm thinking on maybe engle W110*

Please any and all advise helpful*

Thanks Rog

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need cam advice, 1914 type 1 with T3 automatic in trike Reply with quote

Of course, the good old Stand-By W-110 Cam for a Bug engine is all you need to have fun with dual carbs and all. That combo you're talking about would be fine but you could refine it a bit with a symmetric camshaft since you have a barrel for each cylinder and all. Really though with those big valve heads even a milder cam is going to be more than you may want. For Mild engines, the CB-2280 is kind of the new standard and if you know what your doing the Webcam-86 can be a good mild cam and I expect it would work nicely with 1.25 ratio rockers for your application. Easy though would be the Webcam 163 as it's about the same as the W-110 only has full symmetry and all and doesn't require ratio rockers yet is gentle on the valve train. Enough so you could get away with Single HD Valve Springs if you ran lightweight lifters and solid rocker shafts also the swivel feet adjusters are nice.
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need cam advice, 1914 type 1 with T3 automatic in trike Reply with quote

your first problem with changing the cam and going with twin carbs is you have to have the right manifold vacuum for the automatic transmission or it won't shift right. this is the first thing you need to consider.

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need cam advice, 1914 type 1 with T3 automatic in trike Reply with quote

I think your piston choice is overkill . 8000 rpm pistons in a 5000 rpm motor. I would have went with an 82mm crank for mid range grunt so that the motor pulls hard after the rpm drop of the upshifts. The longer stroke can tolerate more cam duration but I would still go mild for the vacuum needed for the trans. Is this an upright motor or type 3 ? Definitely don't want the dual springs.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need cam advice, 1914 type 1 with T3 automatic in trike Reply with quote

I agree with rajay about your piston choice. Absolutely no need to spend that much on pistons for such a mild engine. AA pistons will be good enough and serve you well.

As far as a cam, you'll need to keep very conservative, I'd look at a W100 or even an FK41. Call CB and see if they have any cams that will work with twin carbs and an automatic.

You also need heads that will pull a good vacuum thru the whole room range. I'd talk to Roy at MOFOCO about his super street stock valves heads.

brad
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need cam advice, 1914 type 1 with T3 automatic in trike Reply with quote

It's too bad there was never any aftermarket support for the autos. Things like shift kits, full manual kits, heavy duty parts, torque converters, etc. My ideal VW at this stage in my life would be a street/strip auto with a big type 1. Most likely turbo.
Rog Allen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: update advice, 2275 type 1 with T3 automatic in trike Reply with quote

Update from a year ago on my post
Carters racebox shop out California rebuilt my T3 trans
It's a type 1 upright engine ,
My build changed my mind I'm building a small cam 94x82 2275 Type 1
I bought
New aluminum super case , stroke clearances ect
W100 cam
Engle lifters
Cut to size push rods
1.24 rockers
Stage 1 port polished 40x35.5 haven't checked volume cc but they said 60
94x82 performance kit maul pistons, 82 crank , 5.5 H beam rods chev journals
New dual 40 idfs

Looking to get it set up somehow with 8.5-1 comp

As far as vacume on dual carbs , carters racebox says to tap each intake hole and run 4 vacume lines into one going to trans

Any input on the 5.5 rods and getting my comp right ? Should I get stock length and resell these 5.5 rods ?
Thanks everyone
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: