Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical Help Needed in Phoenix Area
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vin man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Electrical Help Needed in Phoenix Area Reply with quote

I've been working on our 73 Standard Beetle on and off for a few years now. It is my son's and my father/son project.

I've built and installed the motor, done the brakes, fuel system, shocks and other bits.

I'm at the point where the electrical needs to be completed and I'm just out of my league. I've followed the Bug-Me video series but just seem to have a mental block on doing the wiring.

The interior is out of the car and I'm looking for someone to come and wire all the lights, gauges, etc properly. The prior owner did purchase a new wiring harness and I have that in the car, but I have no idea where to make the connections.

If you would be interested in taking on the wiring, please let me know and consider what you would charge me to do it. My son starts driving in the spring and I want him to be able to take his first solo drive in the Bug next fall.

Thanks.

-Vinny
Gilbert, Arizona
72 Porsche 914
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Help Needed in Phoenix Area Reply with quote

Vinyl, the newer type wiring diagrams had me a bit stumped, but I studied some of the older type diagrams, and the made it all much easier to comprehend.

Get an Orange Bentley, and go through the older type wiring diagrams. Then check out your particular year’s diagram. It’s not that difficult.

I’m assuming the harness you have is properly color coded, however.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Help Needed in Phoenix Area Reply with quote

MAN I wish I lived in the Phoenix area-
I'd hav e that thing wired in a weekend and take your 914 as payment Razz

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
vin man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Help Needed in Phoenix Area Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
MAN I wish I lived in the Phoenix area-
I'd hav e that thing wired in a weekend and take your 914 as payment Razz

Not until I figure out the dual carb setup on the 914 but that's another story...
72 Porsche 914

Last edited by vin man on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
vin man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Help Needed in Phoenix Area Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Vinyl, the newer type wiring diagrams had me a bit stumped, but I studied some of the older type diagrams, and the made it all much easier to comprehend.

Get an Orange Bentley, and go through the older type wiring diagrams. Then check out your particular year’s diagram. It’s not that difficult.

I’m assuming the harness you have is properly color coded, however.

Tim

I've tried. At this point I want someone that knows what they are doing to handle the wiring so we can move on to interior.
72 Porsche 914

Last edited by vin man on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Help Needed in Phoenix Area Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

To the OP, if it is just the '73-later style wiring diagram that has you puzzled... the '72 wiring diagram is 98% the same as '73.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 2% difference are just a few extras that came in '73 that wasn't there in '72 so you will end up having to ID and figure out just a couple bits. Even the wire colors are the same between the two wiring diagrams.

It is just a difference in how they are presented. The pre-'73 diagrams try to place the systems about where they are located and expect you to wire the correct colored wire to the corrected numbered terminal. This is good when you are not familiar with where things are located, but fails when you need to find a specific system like in the steering wheel area... the ignition switch, turn signal switch, dimmer switch and horn are all lumped together and you cannot tell which wires go to which part. And even if you identify which wires connect to the headlight switch, you cannot see which contacts are connected together in the different positions of the switch.

The '73-later wiring diagrams are not at all focused on WHERE things are so don't expect to figure out where, for example, the rear window relay is located, but rather the diagram shows logically how the circuits FLOW. For example, the headlight dimmer switch is clearly part of the circuit for the dimmer relay and the headlights. But you could never guess that it was physically part of the turn signal switch which is located somewhere else altogether.
Circuits primarily flow top to bottom and you can actually see how current flows INSIDE of switches so you can understand WHY things are connected they way they are. This understanding allows you to predict where the problem is located. So the later diagrams are much better for troubleshooting, but less useful for finding items and where they are wired.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
ricks73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Help Needed in Phoenix Area Reply with quote

I recently rewired my 73 bug and took me about a month to do. I purchased a complete wire kit from JBugs but the instructions weren't very clear. I downloaded several diagrams off the internet which helped. You can get confused but what I found is to take one wire at a time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vin man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Help Needed in Phoenix Area Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments so far. And while I appreciate the input and confidence you are trying to pass on to me, I am no longer willing to do the work myself. I have the orange book. I have the 72 and other drawings. I even blew them up to 3 foot x 4 foot size.

I am looking for someone to do the work for $. If you are interested or know someone, please let me know. Thanks.
72 Porsche 914
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Help Needed in Phoenix Area Reply with quote

A good man knows his limitations. Mine is body work. Never had the skill to weld, make panels, and paint.
Hopefully someone here will guide you to the person so you can enjoy your project with your son.

Kevin

Click to view image
arkitect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Help Needed in Phoenix Area Reply with quote

Vinny,
I'm in the same boat as you, not too electrically inclined. I'm more of a body man than an electrical guy. I've spent a lot of time looking at any electrical utube videos I can find, some very informative others not so much. I now know about relays and their function and understand vw's concept of wire colors, red - hot, brown - ground, ect..

Once you start really studying the wire diagrams it starts coming together. Although I've yet to finish my project. Note; Ashman who gave you some input is verrrrrrrrrry knowledgeable on this subject and has helped me with pm's for my questions.

Getting someone to come and help you is like pulling teeth, you might meet someone that at first will say they will help but never do, such as my case.

After all that background, it sounds like you want a professional to help you complete the wiring. I would google your area for a vw shop and try to find reviews for their work. Keep in mind there will be a heavy cost associated with someone else doing the work, i.e. it won't be cheap. But who knows you might someone who is willing to take on the task. Good luck.

Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: