Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

I have been using 91 Octane non-ethanol gas in my 73 bus. But as of late the gas station has now changed the non-ethanol grade to 90 Octane. Can I still use this or do I need to switch to a higher octane grade that includes ethanol?

Thanks,

Jeff
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

The "regular" grade gas everywhere in the U.S. meets the "90 RON" (Research Octane Number) specified by VW
for all their air-cooled vehicle engines.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

Regular being 87 octane by the USA method.

Note the USA method is different than the Euro method, RON. So 91 RON is roughly equivalent to 87 in the USA.
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

I have used "regular" in my Bus for 48 years. It "pinged" early on when hot. I adjusted the timing slightly. No ping for the last 40 years. 91 octane just means more money.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

wihr wrote:
I have used "regular" in my Bus for 48 years. It "pinged" early on when hot. I adjusted the timing slightly. No ping for the last 40 years. 91 octane just means more money.

WW

I would agree with you that you don't need the extra octane, but getting rid of the ethanol is important at times. I run ethanol free during the hottest months of summer to get easier hot starting and then if I am not going to be using the rig during the winter it will get a fill of ethanol free then as well. Yes it cost me extra to do this, maybe 50 bucks a years, but 50 bucks is way cheaper than a upper end rebuild if gum builds up on the valve stems seizing the valves in their guide so that the pistons slam into them. Don't particularly like annual carb disassembling and jet cleaning either.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
The "regular" grade gas everywhere in the U.S. meets the "90 RON" (Research Octane Number) specified by VW

Yes! This is so important.

Saying 91 is like saying our buses are 14 long. 14 what? Feet? Inches? Meters? Measurements need units, and though octane content is a unit, it is not universal around the globe. The Car Talk guys did a nice job simplifying it for us:

https://www.cartalk.com/content/what-formula-gas-pump-all-about

And even though they not the octane rating itself won't help keep your engine clean, the premium additives that individuals plans add to supreme formulas and they like may help. There was a thread here three or four years ago where someone posted actual empirical data(!) regarding additives in high test gas but I can't find it.

Long story short, run what you like. If you have a stock engine you can get by on whatever is cheapest as long as there isn't water in it. Performance builds might need higher octane at the discretion of the builder and your gauges.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:

Yes! This is so important.

Saying 91 is like saying our buses are 14 long. 14 what? Feet? Inches? Meters? Measurements need units, and though octane content is a unit, it is not universal around the globe. The Car Talk guys did a nice job simplifying it for us:

https://www.cartalk.com/content/what-formula-gas-pump-all-about

And even though they not the octane rating itself won't help keep your engine clean, the premium additives that individuals plans add to supreme formulas and they like may help. There was a thread here three or four years ago where someone posted actual empirical data(!) regarding additives in high test gas but I can't find it.

Long story short, run what you like. If you have a stock engine you can get by on whatever is cheapest as long as there isn't water in it. Performance builds might need higher octane at the discretion of the builder and your gauges.

Robbie

Yup. Just yup.

I for one have to run premium due to my high Compression Ratio (9.25-1), and I had pinging at 30*adv so I also retard my timing to 28.5 (as of now, and that is up .5 from last tune, so far so good.). So it depends on the build, but with a normal CR, normal 87 US RON is just fine.

Though you may want to stick to a set RON and tune appropriately, I know I saw the engine in my 04 Passat (1.8t engine, so might not apply to NA as much) smooth out when I used higher RON, so there must be a slight burn difference. A proper tune should run 87 just fine and maintain similar temps.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

Been running 87 octane with ethanol in all my VWs for 30 years. No issues. Anything else is just wasting money.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Been running 87 octane with ethanol in all my VWs for 30 years. No issues. Anything else is just wasting money.

Please make sure your fuel lines are up to snuff, however. Old fuel lines should be replaced on general principle (whatever happened to the "up in flames" sticky?) , but also because some of the old rubber isn't compatible with ethanol. Refer to the fuel lines thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=474405

Also the OP is running a 914 engine in a bus. Depending upon the exact build, running a higher octane fuel is potentially a reasonable precaution as some 914 engines ran higher compression numbers and called for a higher RON.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
I have been using 91 Octane non-ethanol gas in my 73 bus. But as of late the gas station has now changed the non-ethanol grade to 90 Octane. Can I still use this or do I need to switch to a higher octane grade that includes ethanol?

Thanks,

Jeff

be sure you read the pump label correctly. There are several different ways of posting Octane ratings. They are not equal and the difference can be substantial. Is it 90 Octane AKI, 90 Octane RON, or 90 Octane MON? Is it 90 Octane MIN one of the qualifiers above? Also what elevations are you driving around at? Someone at sea level has a different environment than someone at 6,000 feet all the time. Generally a 1 Octane difference in the same measuring system is not all that big of a change. It could be the result of testing, the kind of testing, state laws, or a change in refineries - which one might benefit or lose in that change. Here in Sacramento the gasoline is pumped thru pipelines to tanks in this area. The trucks pick up the baseline product, blend in the additives to a formula and deliver it to the stations. I believe that there are two different baseline blends here that get combined with additives for the final Octane AKI.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._State_Fuel_Octane_Standards for standards in the US.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

Another side note: as far as I know, the oil companies only sell two types of gas: 87 and 91 octane. The 89 middle pump merely mixes the two together (actual ratio is anybody's guess). In short, don't buy middle pump - mix the two yourself if you really need something more than 87.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Another side note: as far as I know, the oil companies only sell two types of gas: 87 and 91 octane. The 89 middle pump merely mixes the two together (actual ratio is anybody's guess). In short, don't buy middle pump - mix the two yourself if you really need something more than 87.

I agree it all runs through the same pipes, along with Diesel. They just have a sequence they use to keep each fuel reasonably pure when they go from pumping one fuel to another.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

You can buy 93 and 97 where I am. Those could just be blends of the ends, of course.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Please make sure your fuel lines are up to snuff, however. Old fuel lines should be replaced on general principle (whatever happened to the "up in flames" sticky?) , but also because some of the old rubber isn't compatible with ethanol. Refer to the fuel lines thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=474405

Also the OP is running a 914 engine in a bus. Depending upon the exact build, running a higher octane fuel is potentially a reasonable precaution as some 914 engines ran higher compression numbers and called for a higher RON.

All of my VWs get new fuel lines every 2-3 years. I've been doing that since before ethanol was added to our fuel.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great comments here. Much appreciated. I replaced my fuel lines two years ago. I've driven the bus about 2,500 miles since - What is the criteria for replacement? Time? Mileage? Other factors?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

Failing your quarterly inspection or reaching the 5 year mark.

On boats, you actually blow your bilge every time you use the engine...a fan pushes air over the engine and you sniff for fuel.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:

No. Actually there are certified grades of gasoline with and without ethanol using the standard North America octane number calculations...all the way up to 94 octane...and higher in limited markets.

These are not specialty racing fuels. These are pump gas. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
Thanks for all the great comments here. Much appreciated. I replaced my fuel lines two years ago. I've driven the bus about 2,500 miles since - What is the criteria for replacement? Time? Mileage? Other factors?

Never heard of any criteria, as on modern cars the factory supplied FI hose tends to last the life of the vehicle. I would say that changing out a 30r9 rated hose every ten years should be fine, but with the ongoing changes in the fuel who could know?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

In modern cars.....about 90% of all fuel line is a combination of steel and nylon. The inly places tbey run rubber lines is flex joints before and after the fuel rail. And they are all swaged couplings and premium line. Yep about 10 years.
Ray
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 90 vs 91 Octane Gasoline Reply with quote

It’s hard for me to tell a difference on 87-91 in my modern vehicles. Would the computers in newer vehicles sense the difference and make adjustments? Sometimes I get better mileage out if 91 in my f-150.

I do think that on my smaller engines like my mower, weed eater or power washer, gas can etc, that 91 will store better or longer setting around for extended periods. I would still use a stabilizer for something setting over a winter. When I pulled my tank out of my Westy, it had been sitting 20 years, the tank of gas had settled into a molasses crude at the bottom of the tank and a thinner clearer liquid at the top. Percolated from gravity to basically pre refinery crude I guess, who knew.

Also, on my motorcycle, with its tank just sitting out in the sun baking would be a harsh environment for gas and would think that could change the fuel at some level. I have seen 87 oct in my Honda quad really gunk up the spark plug and after using 91 it seems to not happen.

I tend to surmise that non ethanol, 91 octane offers me a purer gasoline that not only performs better, maybe, but stores better with less chance of breakdown, separation, or if octane evaporation (alcohol) diminishes grade there is a bump to cover that. Therefore, my choice for all my small engine, and older vehicles that may be sitting around of exstended periods. This could all be faulted thinking, but given the choice at the pump I always go for non ethanol, high octane for these reasons, but otherwise, I’m just happy to have fuel.

So, VW folks, are storage and harsh environments a consideration?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: