Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New owner here! Feeling a bit overwhelmed
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadNitro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: New owner here! Feeling a bit overwhelmed Reply with quote

So over the weekend I pulled the trigger on a black and yellow rail frame dune buggy! This moment has bin on my bucket list since as far back as I can remember! But now that it's in the driveway I'm a Litle overwhelmed by the fact I have no idea how to verify the year of any of theas parts that are VW and no idea how to identify the aftermarket stuff (except for the few things that have there branding stamped in them already) any help would be apresheated! Also ignore the front tag that was the first thing I removed =P

Hope you enjoy the photos and Tha KS in advance if yall can help

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: New owner here! Feeling a bit overwhelmed Reply with quote

Eh don't worry, enough poking around online over time, and you'll know the manufacturers and types of VW parts like the back of your hand. Either way, lets get started:

Front Suspension: VW Ball Joint style, appears mostly stock aside from the boingy coil spring shocks. You may or may not grow to dislike those. Your front end is likely quite stiff.

Rear Suspension and transaxle: IRS rear end, Beetle IRS transmission (I think, pics are dark in that area) Nothing wrong with that, plenty of aftermarket options for upgrades out the wazoo. Yours appears stock, parts are plentiful.

Brakes: Probably stock beetle rear, likely Chinese disc kit up front.

Engine: Mainly mystery meat, could go either way. Known parts with history of issues are the distributor (at least the see-thru caps) possibly the chrome oil filter, and the air filter assemblies with the sheet metal tops and bottoms leaking dust and such. It is (Hopefully) fitted with the older style in-shroud oil cooler, and switching to a Doghouse wouldn't be that expensive but would help cooling out. Search "Doghouse Cooler Conversion" or the like on this site. If I had to fix that thing up in one day and "prep" it for a trip, one of the things I would do would be take off the round cooling shroud on top of the engine and make sure it has little vanes inside directing the air around. Some of the aftermarket shrouds didn't have them like the stock VW one did, and things get hot in a hurry.

I mean everything is there and it starts right? That's a starting point. I would be willing to argue that nobody on here bought someone else's ride and thought "Wow this is perfect! I don't think I want to work on this at all!" Razz Enjoy the journey! Learn carefully, and break out the wrenches.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: New owner here! Feeling a bit overwhelmed Reply with quote

Why the pics of heads removed.??? What going on there???

And about the chassis, there is no vertical support behind front seats, from chassis to roll bar, if you flip the thing over the roll bar will be probably compress and pin you and passenger in seats...

What "Jimmyhoffa" said is pretty much same as my impression....

Front coil spring shocks are not really necessary, standard oil shocks (not gas shocks) should be sufficient... And those spear points on top of shock tower not to my liking, really adds nothing to appearance BUT that is strictly my opinion...

Outward appearance is its pretty much in good shape and probably been cared for ... Just go over everything looking for things loose or damaged or cracks in frame and if it fires up and runs, drive it like you stole it....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
MadNitro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New owner here! Feeling a bit overwhelmed Reply with quote

The head photos are from the previous owner... he claims the current engine size is 2204 CC I forgot to mention that in my original post and I wanted to include it in the event yall saw something I did not. I'm no expert... I'm not even a beginner at VW anything right now but when I went to go look at this one I was blown away by the fact that I can't find a single spot of rust on it and no cracks in the welds anywhere, it sounds amazing! Smooth sounding with no knocking and no backfires. When I test drove it evreything just "felt right in the universe" so to speak. Since I got it home (used the tow bar) I've taken it on 2 small road trips to the local Walmart and the only "problem" I've found is I need to move the pedal assembly forward to accommodate for my longer than that the previous owners legs.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New owner here! Feeling a bit overwhelmed Reply with quote

MadNitro wrote:
The head photos are from the previous owner... he claims the current engine size is 2204 CC I forgot to mention that in my original post and I wanted to include it in the event yall saw something I did not. I'm no expert... I'm not even a beginner at VW anything right now but when I went to go look at this one I was blown away by the fact that I can't find a single spot of rust on it and no cracks in the welds anywhere, it sounds amazing! Smooth sounding with no knocking and no backfires. When I test drove it evreything just "felt right in the universe" so to speak. Since I got it home (used the tow bar) I've taken it on 2 small road trips to the local Walmart and the only "problem" I've found is I need to move the pedal assembly forward to accommodate for my longer than that the previous owners legs.

Good to hear....

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
MadNitro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: New owner here! Feeling a bit overwhelmed Reply with quote

Drove to a friend's last night and my wife freaked out that I had no running lights and I was unimpressed with the headlight performance... Is there an LED bulb replacement kit?
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: New owner here! Feeling a bit overwhelmed Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

And about the chassis, there is no vertical support behind front seats, from chassis to roll bar, if you flip the thing over the roll bar will be probably compress and pin you and passenger in seats...

Dale

Woooah good call Dale, I missed that! That amount of unsupported roofline is a little creepy. MadNitro, google "Chenowth Explorer." That's not your frame, but look at the vertical brace between the front and rear seats. Add those!

As far as lighting, I have some generic H4 headlights for hot rods and they're definitely fine, better than my stock F-150 headlights on my truck.

For running lights, you definitely want those. I'm guessing your tail lights actually have 3 wires and have running light capability, they just aren't wired.

I'm a huge safety and law-abiding guy with the buggy stuff. The more it looks to the police like we're trying our hardest to be visible and not a nuisance and obey the vehicle regulations, the less likely it is for us to come up when they're discussing the next group of fun vehicles to outlaw. It's going to happen eventually, and I expect near the middle-end of my life there may even be discussions about getting motorcycles off the road, as humanity gets more and more boring. We just need to preserve what rights we can. Keep the exhausts medium-quiet, keep your lights on, wire your signals, and keep your insurance and plates legitimate.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: New owner here! Feeling a bit overwhelmed Reply with quote

jimmyhoffa wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

Dale

Woooah good call Dale, I missed that! That amount of unsupported roofline is a little creepy. MadNitro, google "Chenowth Explorer." That's not your frame, but look at the vertical brace between the front and rear seats. Add those!

As far as lighting, I have some generic H4 headlights for hot rods and they're definitely fine, better than my stock F-150 headlights on my truck.

For running lights, you definitely want those. I'm guessing your tail lights actually have 3 wires and have running light capability, they just aren't wired.

I'm a huge safety and law-abiding guy with the buggy stuff. The more it looks to the police like we're trying our hardest to be visible and not a nuisance and obey the vehicle regulations, the less likely it is for us to come up when they're discussing the next group of fun vehicles to outlaw. It's going to happen eventually, and I expect near the middle-end of my life there may even be discussions about getting motorcycles off the road, as humanity gets more and more boring. We just need to preserve what rights we can. Keep the exhausts medium-quiet, keep your lights on, wire your signals, and keep your insurance and plates legitimate.

ITs happening now in TEXAS.....

Dale

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: