Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying a Beetle - looking for advice
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

bufftone wrote:
Here is the '67. Not nearly as much work done on this thing, but the guy says everything is original and its in full running and driving condition and swears that this is the holy grail of Beetles because its an original '67. He wants $7,500 for it. Seems a bit much but I dont know much about either of these years and what is worth it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Actually, an all original '67 would be worth a premium price. I've seen an untouched (original) '67 with a straight body but aged paint sell for $12K over in Japan. So they ARE desireable.

This site has a lot of '67 specific details. I'd argue that some of the items lists as one-year-only are actually items that were introduced in '67 and may have still been available in '68, even if only for the start of that model year.
http://1967beetle.com/one-year-only/

Here are the things I KNOW are only available on the '67 Beetle:
    Front fenders w/ earlier horn grills but later style vertical headlights.

The '67 front seats were the last of the low back seats but the first to introduce the release lever on the side.

The engine lid looks the same as the '68-'69 lid but it is longer to fit the earlier apron. The rear apron may also be unique since earlier lids were rounded at the bottom and not squared like the '67.

To fit this longer engine lid the rear bumper over riders were changed on the inner bends to get more clearance for the lid.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

I would agree that the 69 is the nicer car of the two, but I’m pretty sure you will end up hating the autostick. It’s a novelty type of a thing that is a neat system, but the additional drag of the driveline really puts a load on the engine slowing acceleration quite a bit. I don’t mind the retrofitting of the early bumpers, but deviations from stock are a negative for most. Couple that with an autostick driveline, and your possible future resale buying audience will be limited.

As for the 67, $7500 is by no means out of line, but not necessarily for that car. “Holy grail”, and “everything is original” are really laying on thick for the sale. 67’s are more desirable than earlier 60’s, and later 70’s models, but I would say most here would consider pre 60 cars more valuable than a 67. And I can’t believe the horn grill Nazi’s haven’t chimed in yet.... It seems to be a pet peeve of most on this site that aftermarket early fenders usually have the horn grill spaced farther away from the apron. A factory VW fender has the horn grill about 1 1/2 inches from the apron. It looks like both in the front picture of the 67 are further away than that designating that both front fenders have been replaced. And the fender beading was color matched, but not painted over. A simple description of “mostly original paint” would have better stated the condition. The spare rim is an earlier model, so in fact, everything is NOT original. That makes me question what else may, or may not be trying to be mislead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

The 67 is the better choice of the two but not because the 69 has an autostick or may be off a bit from stock with its restoration. I love its look and the autostick is a great efficient system that might be a tiny bit slower than a 4 speed but whose "lag" in acceleration is nowhere near what the naysayers purport it to be, if it is then there's something else wrong with the car. The 67 is simply a better choice because of its uniqueness (as outlined by ashman above.) And there's absolutely nothing in those pictures above or in the ad that scream "misleading." Of course you wouldn't know until you inspect it but it's definitely worth a look. I'm not dissing the 69 at all but part of the charm of a car like the 67 is the ease and fun with which you can bring it up to speed yourself (unless it's rusted. Did I mention look for rust?)

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
The '69 also appears to have been lowered.

And it has headlight eyebrows Shame on you

Eyebrows are a no-no on any beetle. Tacky, but easily removed.

The 69 looks like all the expensive work has been done, paint, interior. If the floors are nice too, I would go for that.

The 67 is definitely repainted, and a crappy repaint it is as well. Probably shoddy prep work. I haven't checked the charts, but that color does not strike me as original either.

67s are cool, but this one looks like a bomb. I think it is way overpriced at $7500, even at half that you would need to spend the same amount to get it up to the standard of the beige one.

So the 69 has the wrong bumpers, they are easily replaced. (after you ditch the eyebrows).

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bufftone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

This is all extremely useful insight everyone, even the opinionated insights. I will have to say that as nice as the '69 is, I think I may regret it. Part of the charm of owning my westy is all the work and time I've put into it myself and I feel that if I bought a bug all ready to go, Im just purchasing someone elses completed project. Not to say i cant make it my own, but I still think I want a project vehicle, just not something too far gone. The '67 seems like it would be a good project car that is, at this point, 100% drivable and safe. Guy says the brake system was just overhauled and the engine is also relatively newly rebuilt so we'll se whats actually true.

There is no way I would spend a premium of $7,500 on a car that would need a lot of work, even if it is a one year only type of bug. So I'm gonna go back to the guy and give him and offer of what Im willing to pay before I drive 4 hours to go inspect it. I really don't want to throw any more than 4k into a project car so thats what Im going to offer I think. I'll preface it with "I truly dont mean to inult (because I dont) .............. but thats what it is worth to me."

He truly believes that everything is original, though he doesn't seem to know much about the beetle besides what he has seen on youtube and what the prior owner told him. So Im going to back my offer with some of the insights you all gave, so if you see anything else that appears to be off, please dont hesitate to chime in..

Thanks again all!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

bufftone wrote:
This is all extremely useful insight everyone, even the opinionated insights. I will have to say that as nice as the '69 is, I think I may regret it. Part of the charm of owning my westy is all the work and time I've put into it myself and I feel that if I bought a bug all ready to go, Im just purchasing someone elses completed project. Not to say i cant make it my own, but I still think I want a project vehicle, just not something too far gone. The '67 seems like it would be a good project car that is, at this point, 100% drivable and safe. Guy says the brake system was just overhauled and the engine is also relatively newly rebuilt so we'll se whats actually true.

There is no way I would spend a premium of $7,500 on a car that would need a lot of work, even if it is a one year only type of bug. So I'm gonna go back to the guy and give him and offer of what Im willing to pay before I drive 4 hours to go inspect it. I really don't want to throw any more than 4k into a project car so thats what Im going to offer I think. I'll preface it with "I truly dont mean to inult (because I dont) .............. but thats what it is worth to me."

He truly believes that everything is original, though he doesn't seem to know much about the beetle besides what he has seen on youtube and what the prior owner told him. So Im going to back my offer with some of the insights you all gave, so if you see anything else that appears to be off, please dont hesitate to chime in..

Thanks again all!

Fantastic plan-- keep us posted and good luck!

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

Looking for advice was your subject so I'll give you mine.
I don't want this to turn into a flaming debate but this is what I know after having and restoring a 69. I would not buy a bug that had an auto stick. Not because I don't like them or anything like that, BUT, they don't make parts for it anymore, so you have to find used and hope they are still good. There are very few old timer mechanics that worked at the dealership out there anymore. If you can't do your own wrenching, who will you go to? Buy an auto stick, do your own work and love it and that's great. Maybe you'll get lucky and never have a problem. With 50+ year old technology, good luck with that. As an owner, backyard mechanic, I still have a couple of old timers that worked at the dealership in the 70's, so I don't have to do any wrenching that I don't want to. That'll change in a bit, but I like giving them my business for now. They are a kick to talk to.
You have feel comfortable with your skills. Looked to the worst case scenario, and make a decision from there. The more you have to work on it, the less you get to drive it. As was said, buy the best you can afford and avoid rust!

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

JMO, but assuming the 67 is solid with no major rust, I feel $7500 is a bit high, but I also feel your offer of $4000 is to low. Also, if I understand you correctly, you are willing to invest an additional $4000 to restore it. Unless you're going to do the work yourself $4000 won't get you very far. Some guys put premium value on 67's. I'm not one of them. I prefer the early 60's over a 67 when it comes to 60's Bugs. From my understanding the 67's were the last of a generation in that starting in 68 VW started to mass produce Bugs, and the government injected their 2 cents in with regulations. If I'm wrong someone correct me.
bufftone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
JMO, but assuming the 67 is solid with no major rust, I feel $7500 is a bit high, but I also feel your offer of $4000 is to low. Also, if I understand you correctly, you are willing to invest an additional $4000 to restore it. Unless you're going to do the work yourself $4000 won't get you very far. Some guys put premium value on 67's. I'm not one of them. I prefer the early 60's over a 67 when it comes to 60's Bugs. From my understanding the 67's were the last of a generation in that starting in 68 VW started to mass produce Bugs, and the government injected their 2 cents in with regulations. If I'm wrong someone correct me.

Thanks for your insight and opinion! In reference to the 4k offer. Thats the most i want to put into the purchase of a project car not on repair work. It also really depends on the condition. I just cant justify spending any more than that on something that needs a ton of work and Im going to dump more than double that into repair and restoration work (which most of it I will do to myself). I dont want to be that low balling jerk, but at the same time, Im not necessarily willing to pay for the premium for a '67 "holy grail" bug. I like that its special, but Im definitely not an enthusiast that needs to have it. It looks like a good candidate for a restore project and thats how I see it. Then again, I dont have the sharp eye for restoration work and thus why I need some help from you guys. So if I'm going to come off like a low balling jerk, please, tell me and I wont. Ill just keep looking for the right one, ya know?

Last edited by bufftone on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
bufftone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

More pictures. I asked him what the undercarriage looked like and he had no idea because he's never looked underneath (weird). These are what he sent. Im not really loving what Im seeing, but it could be worse. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

Maybe the biggest question to be answered is what is your desire for a Bug. Do you want an older Bug that will be of more value but will cost you more to buy, or do you just want a Bug to play with and be a daily driver? You can buy late 60's thru 70's Bugs cheaper then you can buy pre 67's, but they won't be worth as much. Take that 67 as an example. Just because it's a 67 he's asking a high price for it. If it were say a 73 in the same condition, it would be thousands less.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

What were they asking for the 69? Just curious.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

Maybe I'm missing something in the pics of the '67?
I see rust holes in the battery area. This is almost a given for an original Beetle pan. There are specific repair panels JUST for this problem because it is a VERY common problem. I've even seen rusted thru repair panels! If it DIDN'T have rust there I'd suspect it had been repaired at some point in the past.

The "crusty" look of the underside could be dirt or old undercoating/paint. You'd need to take a closer look. You are looking for more than surface rust. Also look for damage from accidents.

I see surface rust in the left rear seat area. This could be a sign of a water leak. Check the area under/behind the rear side and rear windows. Look for water damage or rust. One common area that can be expensive to repair is the rear package tray behind the rear seat (under the rear window). There is a repair panel for this area as well but replacement is expensive. Here is what can happen when the rear window leaks water:

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

bufftone wrote:

They damn near drove over those ramps. Laughing

Taking a closer look at this pic, there is some serious ugliness going on with those shock towers.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Here is what can happen when the rear window leaks water:

Can even happen in Arizona, but at least didn't rust here

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bufftone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
What were they asking for the 69? Just curious.

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

for my pennies worth - the first two pics of the 67 show that the bumper is crooked so has it had a hit on the passenger side? evidence would be creasing in the inner fender/bumper mount area. and always dubious when a vendor changes from 'knowing what a gem he has' to not knowing much about it....
boundstaffpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

I see a 1969 for $7k that looks like it would need very little work to drive and enjoy compared to a 1967 for $7.5k that would likely will need body, interior, and detail work before it was comfortable to drive. I would pursue the '69. My first bug was a '63. I looked for for several years for a pre-66 bug for my kids. I finally bought a solid '73 Super for a great price. Turns out the '73 is just as much fun as my old bug. The '67 seems to have pitted chrome and original but worn bumpers, and rust. The '69 may be hiding some issues too, but they are not as obvious in the photos.
I would offer $5k for the 67 and $6.5k for the 69. I'd be willing to meet the asking price on the 69, but I wouldn't go higher on the 67.
my $.02

Building a 73 Super Beetle with my kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

My bug was a Vermont bug. Check it WELL for rust. Mine took allot of work.
bufftone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Beetle - looking for advice Reply with quote

74 standard wrote:
My bug was a Vermont bug. Check it WELL for rust. Mine took allot of work.

That '67 is actually a Vermont bug as well. My concern is things are worse than they appear.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: